It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Making a list
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:25 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

The other day Im looking through the rule book on how to build a list. I find the section and read that you can field what ever you like. I was surprised that there was no structure on how to make a list. At first I found it odd(Im use to40K), then i thought about it and I like this.

What is your take on this free form of list making?

'I am the Hammer'
'I am the point of His sword'
'I am the tip of His spear'
'I am the gauntlet about His fist'
'I am His sword just as He is my armour,I am His wrath just as He is my zeal'

Post subject: Re: Making a list
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:30 am 
Now we're getting somewhere...

I'm new to the game as well and, after playing 40k for a year or two, I find this unstructured list style refreshing.
In my opinion, it makes room for a more strategic playstyle, allowing you to take a much different list depending on who you are facing.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:15 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I'm just starting as well and I think its fantastic. You have so many viable options for building an army. I'm currently working out two 50 point lists, one very jack heavy and the other troop heavy. Can't wait to see the play changes.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:21 pm 

Right now I have 1 warcaster, 4 warjacks, 1 unit and 6 solos. It comes out to like 40 points. Im going to have fun making lists. I think I need more warjack and unit options.

'I am the Hammer'
'I am the point of His sword'
'I am the tip of His spear'
'I am the gauntlet about His fist'
'I am His sword just as He is my armour,I am His wrath just as He is my zeal'

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:42 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Just note, some entries do have a limit to how many you can field. This can be found under the FA portion. U = Unlimited, C = Character, # = Amount you can field.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:27 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
It's what I like about this game. When I first got into minis games several years back I tried Fantasy Dwarves and I was really put off by having to buy a certain number of units that I didn't even like or want.

Warmachine and Hordes allow you to field what you like. Sure certain models are optimal and even encouraged (Warjack points) but really the only restrictions are field allowance of certain models.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:34 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

But as you noted you will find you will run out of points fast. I have 66 points and 2 Warcasters, so I could build a 70 point list, but I think my mix of models is more suited towards about 35 points. My last game was 25 points and it went pretty good... even though I lost. It was a close game and I failed a lot of dice rolls.

You will also find that you need combinations that work well together, so just taking 6 Solos in an army would likely not work well. You need combinations.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:38 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
I usually plan on Warcaster and 2 Heavy Warjacks, for a battle group plus maybe a light warjack if room permits. A 35 point list will also allow for a full 10 man unit and attachment of something (the fodder) and often 1-2 solos. This will fill a typical 35 point list. I ainly play Protectorate so 1 of those 2 solos is usually the 2 point choir a unit that costs the same as a solo.

Of course other factions will vary a little from that but generally pretty close to that set up for 35 pts.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:46 pm 

For those of you who have ipods and i think its also available on android but i cannot verify this I would recommend that you look into a handy little app called Ibodger for building your warmahordes lists it gives you an easy to use interface for building lists as well as keeping track of your your collected models and a quick search for any rules in war-machine and hordes its quite the handy tool for anyone new to the game but please not this app well no longer be updating once warroom is released (warroom being the official privateer app serving relatively the same function) and in case anyone was wondering its free to download lbodger when last i checked.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:16 am 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

namewithheld wrote:
For those of you who have ipods and i think its also available on android but i cannot verify this I would recommend that you look into a handy little app called Ibodger for building your warmahordes lists it gives you an easy to use interface for building lists as well as keeping track of your your collected models and a quick search for any rules in war-machine and hordes its quite the handy tool for anyone new to the game but please not this app well no longer be updating once warroom is released (warroom being the official privateer app serving relatively the same function) and in case anyone was wondering its free to download lbodger when last i checked.

I believe it was removed from the markets.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:33 am 

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/3 ... 1-ipa.html

there I put the file to the internet now you'll just have to do a manual add to your itunes.
No one can stop the signal, unless its the minions book then give up all hope...