It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Massive games
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:18 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

I've noticed in youtube there's not a lot of battle reports of 100+ points in the game. A search with "Warmachine Apocalypse" yields very little results, while a "Warhammer Apocalypse" gives a lot, including the MWG's Apocalypticon (which are fun to watch, to be honest). Now, seeing the rules, I kinda see why this happens, since units attack separately. So, has anyone been in a large-scale warmahordes game? And, to the ones at Welland, has anyone tried to organize a Warmahordes Apocalypticon?.

Post subject: Re: Massive games
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:18 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Have ou tried googling Wrath? I believe it was the supplement made specifically for big battles that came out around the time of the different vehicle type things.

I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:38 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Warmachine Wrath (like Hordes Domination) was the first Mk 2 expansion. What you're talking about I believe, Ashran, is Warmachine Unbound.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:44 pm 
Gold Vault Member

The biggest game that I've heard about locally was between merchant lord Jordan, playing Cygnar, and me, playing Trollbloods. We threw down a 100 point game one night. It was fun, I wrote more about it over in the Local club forum. But we both felt it lacked the faster pace and relative importance of individual models/units in smaller point games (35-50).

But we have a lot of new to PP players, and we've had an easy to jump in gaming environment with more new players every month. So, 50 is as high as we normally play. And recent events have surrounded Journeyman League and a campaign we're playing out now. That said, I, and at least a handful of others, would love a larger scale event like Warmahoresocolypse in the future. As our growing player bade becomes more established I'm sure we'll see growth in the kinds of events we can support.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:48 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Probebly, I couldn't remember the name of the book so I just looked at the website, wrath was the only book I saw other than the factions in my quick skim of the page so I just assumed it was the right one...So yeah, try googling Unbound :P

Another reason could be that Warmahordes is a skirmish game, at the end of the day, and when you think warmahordes, you think skirmish. When you get into 'big' battles, it's normally about the size of GW's standards, and one of GW's taglines is the whole huge battle/warfare things...PP is also practically as expensive as GW at that point :P

I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
I played a 300 point multiplayer game once. 6 players 3 to a side with 50 points each. We used unbound multiplayer rules from NQ. The reason why you don't see this too often is because it took 5-6 hours with no decided winner as half the players had to quit.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:51 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Ashran wrote:
Probebly, I couldn't remember the name of the book so I just looked at the website, wrath was the only book I saw other than the factions in my quick skim of the page so I just assumed it was the right one...So yeah, try googling Unbound :P

Another reason could be that Warmahordes is a skirmish game, at the end of the day, and when you think warmahordes, you think skirmish. When you get into 'big' battles, it's normally about the size of GW's standards, and one of GW's taglines is the whole huge battle/warfare things...PP is also practically as expensive as GW at that point :P

Unbound is the correct format you're thinking of. The rules for that will be published in the upcoming Colossals book.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:08 pm 

I see. I thought Wrath had a grasp at them, since it was the inception of the Engines (then again I haven't read the book), hopefully it won't be like the 40k's version of "Bring everything you want", and has some other ideas. Like, for example, a siege you have to protect/maintain walls and buildings, or knock them over... Actually, changing terrain would be an awesome idea, for a more dynamic game.

Craaag wrote:
I played a 300 point multiplayer game once. 6 players 3 to a side with 50 points each. We used unbound multiplayer rules from NQ. The reason why you don't see this too often is because it took 5-6 hours with no decided winner as half the players had to quit.

Damn, that's long.

And yes, I think since Warmahordes seems more of a skirmish game, it could get a little confusing using big armies. I was gonna say unless you teamed up, but the case you described above it's just that :lol: .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:33 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Yea, it was definitely fun having that many models on the table, makes things feel more like the big battles from the fluff, but one person controlling that many models can get hectic. Sorting out order of activation for ~20 separate units units/solos/jacks/casters was a bit fidgety. If we did something like that again, I think it would work best the way Craaag did it, where you have multiple players per side. That way each person has a more manageable chunk of the whole army.

I need to try and remember to get the pics from our game up!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:14 am 
Gold Vault Member

If someone wants, I can throw down for a 150 point, 3 caster unbound game one Saturday. Could be fun!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:31 pm 

Take photos and videos! :D .