It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Khadoran Strakhov List
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:33 pm 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Hey ya'll, I got a 30pt game against menoth tomorrow and I've been playing around with the thought that he will bring a decent amount of fire (mainly from previous games and our experience). SOOO I built a Tier 4 Strakhov list for the fun and the little additions that will be helpful. The list is such.

Kommander Strakhov
-Wardog
-Kodiak
-Kodiak
Widowmakers
-Widowmaker Marksman
Assault Kommandos (6)
Assault Kommandos (6)
Assault Kommandos (6)

I get...

3 Trench Templates
Free Widowmaker Marksman
Free turn 1 Upkeep Spells

My idea is to use the widowmakers to lighten his line of infantry, trenches to protect myself against the possiblity of reckoners or other range fighting, and when he is close enough pop Iron Fist and charge him with the strangle gas and kodiaks.

Critique?

https://twitter.com/Oceangrave0 Check out for up to the minute progress/life.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:02 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Who are you playing against? With the kommando-spamming, you could dominate against Menoth or Cryx. And Strakhov's feat is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:26 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
ArqArturo wrote:
Who are you playing against? With the kommando-spamming, you could dominate against Menoth or Cryx. And Strakhov's feat is pretty cool.

i dont know, thats the problem, but I have something for almost everything Menoth could bring, so its not too big an issue, I can strangle gas them before hitting them with the kodiaks and stuff

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:58 am 
Bronze Vault Member

You are going to have an issue with damage output, I can tell already. You won't be able to shoot the 'jacks to soften them up (Choir), and Kommandos don't hit very hard (and neither do Kodiaks). Also, you're not going to be able to take a hit, and Menoth hits very hard.

Since Menoth is very slow, and Strakhov is very fast (at least for a turn), you're going to want to capitalize on that. Hard hitting infantry, preferably with Reach, can attack him from outside the range that his models can run. Iron Fang Pikemen, Doom Reavers, Great Bears, Demo Corps... all good options. If you're dead set on using the Theme force, Kayazy are a good option too, but work better when you have a damage boost.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:34 am 

If that's the case, I'd go for quick caster kill.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:56 pm 

MrGoldenDeal wrote:
You are going to have an issue with damage output, I can tell already. You won't be able to shoot the 'jacks to soften them up (Choir), and Kommandos don't hit very hard (and neither do Kodiaks). Also, you're not going to be able to take a hit, and Menoth hits very hard.

Since Menoth is very slow, and Strakhov is very fast (at least for a turn), you're going to want to capitalize on that. Hard hitting infantry, preferably with Reach, can attack him from outside the range that his models can run. Iron Fang Pikemen, Doom Reavers, Great Bears, Demo Corps... all good options. If you're dead set on using the Theme force, Kayazy are a good option too, but work better when you have a damage boost.

my opponent chose Reznik with Cleansers, 1 min choir unit, a castigator a reckoner and a few solos. I used my widowmakers to clear up the choir, no problem, his jacks ran up, so I used Iron Fist to attack, and after both my initial attacks I threw his reckoner into a solo and killed him, than the next turn I used my widowmakers to kill the cleansers and charge my first kodiak into reznik with superiority on him and with 3 focus, took 3 hits but since he wasted his focus on killing one kodiak with the castigator it wasn't too much an issue to pound some death, in the end he lost 18pt of him army (not including caster cost) and I lost 8 with my kodiak.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:04 am 
Bronze Vault Member

Ok, so your opponent didn't play very well. You beating a sub-optimal list with a sub-optimal list doesn't make the critique of your original list any less valid.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:08 am 

MrGoldenDeal wrote:
Ok, so your opponent didn't play very well. You beating a sub-optimal list with a sub-optimal list doesn't make the critique of your original list any less valid.

When did he say that it did? all he said was how the game went.

@Oceangrave0 : congrats on the win

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:26 pm 

MrGoldenDeal wrote:

We play friendly where I live, so I'm kindof okay with sub-optimal as long as I am having fun with it, being meta isn't fun for me because it gets boring, if I really felt like beating him easily I would have run my pThagrosh list with Carniveans and wiped him out, but over half of the fun for me is seeing an army i think is cool play like they would, playing a trench-based army felt cool, so I did it, winning was just extra