Got Rules Questions? Ask 'Em Here WM/H Edition!

Talk about Privateer Press steam-powered fantasy game here.
baummonster
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Got Rules Questions? Ask 'Em Here WM/H Edition!

Post by baummonster » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:58 pm

You're welcome =)

Small addendum: Although all attacks made by threasher occur simultanously, only the one against the declared charge target is automatically boosted
Honor I do not seek, but a worthy death must be earned

easycompany
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by easycompany » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:15 am

Sorry if this was asked before but honestly I'm not bothered to look through the entire thread :/
When do you cast your feat? Is it in the beginning of the casters activation?
Curahee!

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:37 am

easycompany wrote:Sorry if this was asked before but honestly I'm not bothered to look through the entire thread :/
When do you cast your feat? Is it in the beginning of the casters activation?

I've got this one! From what I've read a caster's feat can be cast any time during their activation.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

DeltaCommando17
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DeltaCommando17 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:08 am

Ok, quick question about when Warjacks are destroyed/boxed that i'm not quite getting.

When a warjack loses it's final health box and becomes boxed, I understand that a warjack becomes boxed and then destroyed. But what if I caused more damage to the warjack then it does remaining health, is it fully destroyed rather than boxed? And if a warjack becomes boxed but another model attacks it, would the damage caused from that model fully destroys the warjack?

We been so confuse how boxed/destroyed works with Warjacks over the weekend that we just simply count the warjack as destroyed rather than boxed.
Currently playing:

Warmachine: Mercenaries army

Bolt Action: British & Commonwealth Forces

mmchugh
Gold Vault Member

Post by mmchugh » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:14 pm

Disabled, Boxed, Destroyed all happen when the warjack (or any model) has their last health box filled. (I think that's the order, it might be boxed, disabled, destroyed)

It is done this way because some effects will trigger at different stages. So if a model is disabled, and has tough, they get to make a tough roll. If they succeed, they heal a point and are no longer disabled, so that breaks the chain.

Models with snacking can eat a model at boxed, which removes them from play at that step. If the different stages weren't ordered, then a model could eat a boxed model, before it got it's tough roll.

So, if a model takes enough damage to fill in it's last box, it gets disabled. If nothing happens, it becomes boxed, and then if nothing happens, it becomes destroyed.

If there are no effects that trigger at any of those steps, it is basically the same as a model going straight to destroyed as soon as it takes enough damage to box it, so you were actually playing correctly!

DeltaCommando17
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DeltaCommando17 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:54 pm

mmchugh wrote:Disabled, Boxed, Destroyed all happen when the warjack (or any model) has their last health box filled. (I think that's the order, it might be boxed, disabled, destroyed)

It is done this way because some effects will trigger at different stages. So if a model is disabled, and has tough, they get to make a tough roll. If they succeed, they heal a point and are no longer disabled, so that breaks the chain.

Models with snacking can eat a model at boxed, which removes them from play at that step. If the different stages weren't ordered, then a model could eat a boxed model, before it got it's tough roll.

So, if a model takes enough damage to fill in it's last box, it gets disabled. If nothing happens, it becomes boxed, and then if nothing happens, it becomes destroyed.

If there are no effects that trigger at any of those steps, it is basically the same as a model going straight to destroyed as soon as it takes enough damage to box it, so you were actually playing correctly!
Well, except I wasn't doing my Cinerators properly with their "flame burst" special rule. Speaking of which, if a boxed model were to gain back health from tough or any other rule. If a special rule like my Cinerators flame burst activates when the boxed model gains back health when it was boxed, would it obligated to get the continuous fire effect also?
Currently playing:

baummonster
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by baummonster » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:01 pm

"Disabled -> Boxed -> Destroyed" is the right order

Tough is triggered on the "disabled" step, while Flame Burst triggers at "boxed". So you can't flame burst if a unit passes it's tough roll, because you never get to the "boxed" step in the first place

Lady_Soria wrote:
easycompany wrote:When do you cast your feat? Is it in the beginning of the casters activation?
I've got this one! From what I've read a caster's feat can be cast any time during their activation.
Almost right on that one =) There's a bit more to it than you mentioned tho, so if you allow me to make a small supplement:
Yes you can use your feat at any time during your warcasters activation, but you can't interrupt something to do so. For example, you can't advance a few inches, cast your feat and then use your remaining movement. Or make an attack holl, cast your feat, then do the damage roll etc

DeltaCommando17

Post by DeltaCommando17 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Ok, I get how the Boxed, Disabled and Destroyed phases work more properly now. Thanks guys :)
Currently playing:

DeltaCommando17

Post by DeltaCommando17 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:47 pm

I have a question that has stirred up. For spells, special rules, or war gear that causes the model not to be targeted by or not be affected by enemy spells. Is this only for Offensive spells? Or If I'm attacked by a ranged attack or close quarters attack by a enemy model that has a spell cast upon them that boosts attack/damage rolls. Would the boosted attack/damage be canceled since it's from a enemy spell put into a enemy attack?
Currently playing:

baummonster
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by baummonster » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:50 pm

1) Every spell directed against an opposing model counts as being offensive

2) No, because spellward only says that a particular model can't be targeted by spells. Since the spell to boost attack or damage isn't aimed at the warded model, it still suffers the full effect.
That's why models under spell ward also can still be hit by secondary attacks generated through spells, like Ashes to Ashes or Chain Lightning

SobieFett
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by SobieFett » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:32 am

So my prime is in the mail. I kinda get the rules from videos and forums and quickstarter. I guess the one thing that gets me is how are points calculated for armies. For example: if I have Adeptus Rahn as my caster and I am playing a 25 pt game. Do I get to bring 31 points worth of models or 25 points worth of models?

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:40 am

Not exactly, the points reduction only happens with the warmachines in his battle group. So.... say Rahn has 6 point, a seven point war machine in his battle group is like one point, or you split among the models, and you can spend the saved point on non jack units, but you can't use those points to reduce the cost of say infantry.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

baummonster
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by baummonster » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:08 pm

pro-tip: go check out forwardkommander.com, click a few lists together and you'll understand the system in no time =)

ChaplainRobb
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ChaplainRobb » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:25 am

If a thrown model contacts an obstacle, it normally stops and takes a damage roll. Is there a minimum distance? If the model was already in base contact with the obstacle and is thrown in the direction of the obstacle, does it suffer the damage even though it didn't move?

Mattman154
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Post by Mattman154 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:54 pm

ChaplainRobb wrote:If a thrown model contacts an obstacle, it normally stops and takes a damage roll. Is there a minimum distance? If the model was already in base contact with the obstacle and is thrown in the direction of the obstacle, does it suffer the damage even though it didn't move?
Under Throw Damage:
Apply throw damage after movement and knockdown effects, regardless of whether the model actually moved or is knocked down.