Warmachine Faction Guide

Talk about Privateer Press steam-powered fantasy game here.
Fireman Tim
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #2Group Build Badge #4Group Build Badge #5

Warmachine Faction Guide

Post by Fireman Tim » Tue May 26, 2009 3:05 pm

I can not take credit for this. It was made by Dboeren from the PP forums and I thought new players would find it helpful.

In a effort to help players who are a little indecisive on which faction is right for them, Dboeren and the Strategic Academy along with the Mentors present this Warmachine Faction Guide!

Cygnar
The Jewel of the Iron Kingdoms, Cygnar is the cultural center of Western Immoren, commanding the highest technology and some of the most elite soldiers. Cygnaran war philosophy is to control the flow of battle in order to win the day. Combat will occur when and where they choose, as they limit enemy mobility and establish kill zones where no hostile trooper dares set foot. Their troops are highly trained and skilled in multiple roles on the battlefield, though they will usually be outnumbered.

Cygnar Melee: Well armored and hard hitting, the highly trained warriors of Cygnar march into battle with confidence. Backed up by the protection of an Arcane Shield, they need fear no bombardments - only a direct hit can pierce their armor. Whether they wield the power of lightning or are trained to fight in tandem with their swift warjacks, Cygnar melee is centered on defeating the enemy quickly with multiple attacks.

Cygnar Ranged: Equipped with the most advanced direct-fire weapons available, Cygnar can drop their foes from a distance with deadly accuracy. Preferring light armor for mobility, they do not expect foes to survive to melee them. Either dug into makeshift bunkers for protection, firing in drilled formations, or shooting on the run with arcane precision and enchanted bullets, Cygnar has you in their sights.

Cygnar Magic: Cygnar support magic enhances the armor of their troops and the range and accuracy of their firearms. They also have a wide array of electrical effects to destroy enemy infantry or interfere with enemy warjacks to render them ineffective. Cygnar tends to put faith in their army and focus on spells that help them do their job more effectively.

Cygnar Warjacks: Somewhat lighter armored but faster and more agile than most jacks, Cygnar builds specialized models for various purposes and many of them have special abilities to aid them in their intended role. Cygnar jacks support their infantry well but are less likely to fight on their own in favor of a combined arms approach.

Khador
In the hard, cold, northern lands live the people of Khador. Their harsh surroundings have produced a faction centered on durability and brute strength. With the most heavily armored warjacks in the game as well as powerful melee troops, Khador is designed to outlast and outsmash any other faction. When the dust clears, they will be the last ones standing. With their superior knowledge of the battlefield their forces are deployed for ambush, attacking when and where they are least suspected.

Khador Melee: Khadoran troops take advantage of their heavy armor and shields, presenting a brick wall to would-be attackers. Instead of wasting precious cortex technology on light warjacks they have instead the Man-o-War, a massive warrior encased in a steam-powered battle suit. If the situation truly demands the utmost in savagery they can deploy a unit of crazed killers wielding cursed blades that protect them from all magic. Khador melee switches gears rapidly between quick brutal assault and impenetrable defense as the situation demands it.

Khador Ranged: Khador splits their resources between stealthy snipers and long-range bombardments. Their famed Widowmakers are some of the finest marksmen in all of the Iron Kingdoms, and their Mortars inflict massive casualties on troops from enormous distances. Beware your step, for in Khador you the bullets or arrows will come flying without warning.

Khador Magic: Lacking the arcnodes of other factions, Khadoran magic is more centered on supporting their army than in attacking their foes from a distance. A fortunate thing indeed that Khadoran warcasters are tough enough to get up close to deliver their own brand of spells! They can freeze enemies solid, summon cloaking blizzards to hide their troops, and accelerate their enormous heavy warjacks to seemingly impossible speeds.

Khador Warjacks: Slow and ponderous, Khador jacks nonetheless are the toughest available anywhere. Their enormous strength allows them both to carry the weight of their thick armor and also to put out enormous amounts of damage in melee. Cortex technology is hard to come by in Khador, so they do not waste them on light warjacks like other factions.

Protectorate of Menoth
Loyal followers of the Creator of Man, the Menites work together to overcome the toughest opponents letting nothing stand in their way. While individually weaker, more than any other faction they leverage synergy to combine into an unstoppable force. Every Menite killed in battle just inspires his fellows to fight even harder until all the Iron Kingdoms submit to Menoth's Law.

Menoth Melee: Blessed with cheap effective troops, the Protectorate has a mix of fast defensive troops and hard-hitting Knights. Further, with the support of the Choir their warjacks fight with a fury unmatched by any other faction.

Menoth Ranged: Preferring quantity over quality, there is a strong emphasis on AOE and spray attacks over the more accurate direct-fire weapons of other factions. Menites do not need to hit in order to kill, instead letting their wandering blasts land where they may. Aiming is even less necessary if your fanatical troops are willing to put themselves in harm's way to fire from point-blank distance.

Menoth Magic: Menoth spells are mainly focused on protection and enhancement of their army. They can protect against magic, shield their troops, and inflict divine punishment on anyone who attacks them. Offensively their blessings inspire their troops to fight better while they rain holy fire upon the enemy from afar. Some Menoth warcasters can even harvest the life force of their dying troops to inflict one last attack upon the enemy.

Menoth Warjacks: Menoth heavy jacks have medium armor and are fairly slow, other than some of their more recent models. Their light jacks though are some of the best in the game. They serve roles from anti-infantry to durable arcnodes to warcaster bodyguards. Although Menoth jacks may appear a little subpar on the statline the Choir can enhance them to make them fight much better or protect them from enemy spells or ranged attacks.

Cryx
The undead empire of Cryx will stop at nothing, using any dirty trick to achieve victory. Their infantry is cheap and disposable, packing a horrific punch against men and warjacks alike. Against Cryx, you must always be on your guard. The smallest opening, the slightest error, and they will pounce unleashing a torrent of evil spells that can kill men by the droves or turn the strongest models into crippled weaklings.

Cryx Melee: Their troops are designed to be hard-hitting and disposable, since there is a never ending supply of bodies to create more. In fact, they can even create them in the middle of battle, regenerating the fallen almost as fast as they can be killed until their enemies despair of ever finishing them all. For special jobs, they will field swift light infantry designed to be able to get into key positions and interfere with enemy movement.

Cryx Ranged: Masters of necrosurgery, Cryx prefers to turn the bodies of their warriors into living weapons. Pumped full of causic acids, they waddle towards the front lines to wretch their deadly payload onto the enemy. Most of them will not make it, but bodies are cheap and those that succeed will wipe out many times their own numbers. Cryx also boasts swift ghostly assassins, able to slip through solid walls to fire their spectral guns at unsuspecting prey.

Cryx Magic: Cryxian offensive spells are the most destructive in the game, killing indiscriminately and weakening stronger foes until they can be overcome. They give little to no though to protecting or supporting their own army, just tearing down the enemy. But their real power lies in their swift and numerous arcnodes. With the ability to channel their magic like no other faction can, Cryx can strike where they are least suspected.

Cryx Warjacks: Cryx warjacks mostly come in two types, fast and cheap arcnodes known as bonejacks and the aggressive melee oriented Helljacks. All are lightly armored compared to other factions but are quite a bit faster and harder to hit. In other words, Helljacks depend on getting the first hit and have the speed to help them do it. There are an abundance of open fists for power attacks, but their weapon POW suffers some for it.
"Kneel before Zod!"

Frozt
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Warmachine Faction Guide

Post by Frozt » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:58 am

Actually i think that was from the Privateer Press forums originally, but, it is a very helpful guide.
VC w1/L0/T0
Orks w3/L1/T1 (darn weedy gitz *lost to eldar*)

KaptainKlaw
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by KaptainKlaw » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:15 am

I think pp means privateer press
khaotic beasts have been unleashed and there comin for ya

DigitalNinja

Post by DigitalNinja » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:03 pm

Your right Kk.
I want there to be images allowed in Siggys!

Agamemnon
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Agamemnon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:38 am

Great post! Thanks for sharing.
Cheers and Good Hunting!

RedSpy1

Post by RedSpy1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:53 am

i saw this on the pp Forumn and noticed that they too did nothing about the RoS forces, maybe because no one plays them much yet?
You kiddin? They use babies with sharp teeth as bullets over there. - Mattman154 [on China's efficiency in combat]

TD-DarkWarrior
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by TD-DarkWarrior » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:59 pm

or Mercs but Mercs rule.MERCS FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Space Marines(Crusader Brotherhood)-1800 points

Shae tier list-22 pints

FSA-0

xfishgutsx
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by xfishgutsx » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Ive noticed that quite a few people don't read this since there are so many topics asking about faction styles.....

Einherjar
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Einherjar » Tue May 25, 2010 3:25 pm

This info helps a lot. Khador sounds pretty cool. I haven't bought anything yet cause I want to keep doing some reserch. Are hoards still compatible with warmachine?
Cadian 9th (3500 points)
Crimson Fists (2500 points)

Mael
Press Ganger

Post by Mael » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:42 pm

Yes, Hordes is still comparable to Warmachine. Keeping balance between both systems is a key goal @ Privateer.

Einherjar
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Einherjar » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:31 am

ok thanks
Cadian 9th (3500 points)
Crimson Fists (2500 points)

Chief
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Post by Chief » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Why is Mael's name blue?

And are there any Horde equivalents of this thread?

Mael
Press Ganger

Post by Mael » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:58 pm

Hey Chief!

I'm a Press Ganger, a volunteer who runs events and generally has way too much product. :) Where abouts are you? I could hook you up with a Press Ganger in your area if you're just starting out.

What do you want to know about the Hordes factions?

Chief
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Post by Chief » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:53 pm

I am The War Chief, and I hail from the nether-regions known as Mississauga, Ontario :wink:

Took a gander at the Privateer Press website, and have to say that I'm liking the look of the Circle of Orbos, but I'm also finding myself sympathizing with the situation of the Troll Bloods and the Legion of Everblight.

Could someone give me a quick run-down of these factions, how they play and perhaps some of their strengths and weaknesses? I'm a Dark Eldar player from Warhammer 40,000, and am fairly familiar with most of that game's armies. I also have a rudimentary understanding of Warmachine and Hordes from the basics videos by Mini War Gaming and others across the internet.

exodusofman
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by exodusofman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:45 am

Chief wrote:I am The War Chief, and I hail from the nether-regions known as Mississauga, Ontario :wink:

Took a gander at the Privateer Press website, and have to say that I'm liking the look of the Circle of Orbos, but I'm also finding myself sympathizing with the situation of the Troll Bloods and the Legion of Everblight.

Could someone give me a quick run-down of these factions, how they play and perhaps some of their strengths and weaknesses? I'm a Dark Eldar player from Warhammer 40,000, and am fairly familiar with most of that game's armies. I also have a rudimentary understanding of Warmachine and Hordes from the basics videos by Mini War Gaming and others across the internet.
you lie sir. you live in the city right next to me/where im from i beleive you not feind.
I fall into a dark hole
And I can't come out
Do you know if Merlin did exist
Or Frodo wore the ring
Did Corum kill the gods
Or where's the wonderland
Which young Alice had seen
Or was it just a dream
I knew the answers
Now they're lost for me

Return to “Warmachine and Hordes”