Worth restarting?

Talk about Privateer Press steam-powered fantasy game here.
JamesValentine
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Worth restarting?

Post by JamesValentine » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:10 am

I remember playing Warmachine...err...a long time ago, so long I cannot even guess how long and I have to admit, I loved the models but hated the game.

every time I played with my Cygnar force I always seemed to come across enemies with weird rules that didn't let you shoot unless you were close enough to smell the Acrylic paint or the warcaster would have some strange turn 1 killer move that ended the game faster I could blink.

But still I did love the models.
Has the game improved much?
Is it worth looking into?
Is it still about turn one game winning combos?

NotAlpharius
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Worth restarting?

Post by NotAlpharius » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:15 pm

I dabbled a little with Warmachine during mkII and if you left your caster in the open then you could very well set yourself up for 1st turn assassination run. As far as I know warmachine was always more of a tactics game simply because of the assassination run insta-win issue. While it is crushing it provides a very strong incentive to learn fast. If you are looking to get back in then drop by your local store and ask around. The new starter boxes are a fantastic value with a pocket rule book (full rules, no fluff), dice, measuring tape and a play mat (of dubious quality) on top of all the models and cards required to play.
All generalizations are false.