Advice for new player! Supplementing Two-Player Battle Box

Talk about Privateer Press steam-powered fantasy game here.
Dimitri Mazieres
Now we're getting somewhere...

Advice for new player! Supplementing Two-Player Battle Box

Post by Dimitri Mazieres » Mon May 11, 2015 11:30 pm

Hi! I'm considering buying the Two Player Battle Box to start playing Warmachine, and was wondering what other models would be good choices to supplement those included in the battle box. What do you guys think?

Thanks! :D
Last edited by Dimitri Mazieres on Tue May 12, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nozmo

Re: Advice for new player! Supplementing Two-Player Battle B

Post by Nozmo » Tue May 12, 2015 1:00 pm

Hey Dimitri! I recently got into the hobby and purchased the Warmachine 2 player battle box. The Khador army has 20 pts worth of models and Menoth has 21, so the real question becomes what size games do you intend on playing?

The box gave enough models for my girlfriend and I to play several duel matches (15 pts), but you will need more units to reach the 25 point match styles. Here are my thoughts through the research I've done:

-Khador
* everyone and their mom will tell you to take a unit of widowmakers (4 pts) with the last point you could get the merc goblin (warcaster buffs) or one of the solos.

That will give you the 25 point army.

-Menoth
* this army in general is all about synergizing each unit with the next. I think the choir is an absolute must and I think the 3 man unit is just 2 points. If so, that takes you to 23 and you can add one of the menoth solo Paladin of the wall which have super high defense when paired with Kreoss's defenders ward spell/buff.

TLDR: Ultimately if you are just starting out in Warmachine (this is not the warhammer thread if you came here by mistake) I would recommend just getting the 2 player box and nothing else to start. The models took me almost 2 weeks to get painted (still not 100% done but I am very OCD with my painting) so you will have plenty to keep you busy. I have now decided that I actually want to play Cygnar so my starter armys will be for my friends/girlfriend to use when I play demo games with them etc. Something to think about before you dump 100 bucks into an army that might not fit your playstyle.

Hope that helps!

Safe journey my friend,
Noz

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue May 12, 2015 1:03 pm

Warmachine or Warhammer?
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Dimitri Mazieres

Post by Dimitri Mazieres » Tue May 12, 2015 3:34 pm

Thank you very much for the tips, Nozmo!
And yes, I mistakenly wrote Warhammer instead of Warmachine :oops: (I edited that now)
After I started the thread I did a little more research and found suggestions such as the ones you provided. As you said, the choice of widowmakers for Khador and the Choir for Menoth seem to be almost universal. Other apparently popular options to supplement those were the War Dog for Khador and the Vassal of Menoth for the Protectorate, as well as substituting Sorcha for the Butcher as an all-around better warcaster for Khador. What do you think of this?

As for choosing a faction, I'm mostly clueless about the advantages/shortcomings of each one. In fact, I was considering getting the Cygnar All-in-one army box while they're available, but thought that maybe having two smaller factions would be more useful to be able to persuade other people to play, since the hobby isn't very widespread in my area. Plus, they both look cool :D

Thanks again!

Nozmo

Post by Nozmo » Thu May 14, 2015 10:33 am

I live out in Delaware (U.S.) and am concerned that I too may have a limited group of people to play with, but I am not letting that stop me from getting back into the hobby and I am sure you have the same mind set. I am currently working on my new table top ($50 from goodwill!) so if I have to start my own club one member at a time that's what I will do!

If you haven't checked out the faction guide from this forum, I would recommend you take a peak at it. Very well written, concise, and easily digested.

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 65&t=12228

Definitely get the 2 player box if you do not know anyone that plays. It comes with everything (although I'd recommend picking up at least the plastic template set for AOEs and Flame spray $10 since both can be used with the jacks you get) you need. I especially like that they provided black d6, which we have started using to determine direction on AOEs and Jack part damage (Larm, Rarm, Head, Cortex etc).

I also ended up purchasing the MKII Prime rulebook, but honestly the condensed version that comes with the 2 player box covers everything even the scenarios. MKII does provide basic knowledge about Khador, Menoth, Cygnar, Cryx, and the Merc factions (knowing what your opponents models can do is equally important to knowing how to play your own) so it has been a worth while purchase for me.

Ultimately, figure out what your budget is and don't exceed it. There is always something else you can buy and you can easily over do it and feel overwhelmed once the shipments come in. Start small and expand piece by piece as you identify a need.

ArqArturo
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by ArqArturo » Mon May 18, 2015 11:53 am

In the case of Warcasters, it depends on what style of play you want.

Khador is very infantry-focused, and your warjacks will act mostly as reserve, so it pays off to get solos that benefit the units you're considering. pButcher is a well-rounded spellcaster, and very easy to start with, as he's got good buffs, lots of warjack points (the cost reduction of a single warjack), and even on himself he's a melee monster. pSorscha is more or less an assasination unit, but I also recommend pVladimir as a starting warcaster, mostly because of Signs & Portents.

But, in the end, Khador's warcasters can accomodate to whatever style of play you want :).
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi