Starting Protectorate

Talk about Privateer Press steam-powered fantasy game here.
halt92
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Starting Protectorate

Post by halt92 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:42 pm

So I have been toying with the idea of starting a Warmachine army for some time now, and have decided to start with Protectorate of Menoth. My FLGS has several players who I have talked with about the game, and watched, so I have some idea as to what you want to include in a basic list, however I would like some more opinions as I currently am rather swamped in schoolwork and cannot currently get opinions elsewhere.

Faction: Testament - Reliquary Guard
Casters: 1/1
Tiers: 3
Testament of Menoth (*6pts)
* Repenter (4pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Exemplar Bastions (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)
Exemplar Bastions (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)
Knights Exemplar (Leader and 5 Grunts) (4pts)
Knights Exemplar (Leader and 5 Grunts) (4pts)
Exemplar Bastion Seneschal (3pts)
* Repenter (4pts)
High Paladin Dartan Vilmon (3pts)
Knight Exemplar Seneschal (3pts)
Paladin of the Order of the Wall (2pts)
Reclaimer (2pts)
Vassal Mechanik (1pts)
Vassal Mechanik (1pts)
Vassal Mechanik (1pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

My thought process on my choices.

Warcaster
Testament just seemed like a rather fun model to run. His feat is interesting, his spells are pretty good and his special rules are awesome.

Warjacks
The Repenters fill a gap in my list, which is ranged attacks that are effective at destroying infantry. Each Jack gets a Vassal Mechanik and a Vassal of Menoth to provide buffs and durability as they advance. The extra Mechanik was just an extra point to use.

Units
The choir of course makes it in as it provides very good utility for my Warjacks.

The Bastions Provide a wall that my opponent has to break through to reach my solos and Knights. One unit will gain Concealment from my Warcaster.

The Knights are a very scary unit that the opponent will want to eliminate ASAP and has some synergies with the Revive spell.

Solos
The Bastion Seneschal gets a Warjack to himself to help with management of focus, while providing that delicious heal to both squads of Bastions. CMD bubble that Testament does not grant.

The Knight Seneschal allows me to double dip on the death of my models with the Testaments and Reclaimers soul tokens (of which the Testament can Revive) while providing more CMD bubbles

The Paladin is my "missile" unit that combines durability with brute force.

High Paladin Dartan makes my other Paladin better while providing yet more CMD bubble goodness.

The Reclaimer allows me to collect tokens of which I can allocate as focus to my Jacks (Especially the marshalled one) and which has a rather nasty ability in Soulstorm.

Mechaniks and Vassals of Menoth talked about in Warjacks.