Upcoming game vs Cryx 35pts

Talk about Privateer Press steam-powered fantasy game here.
ArqArturo
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Upcoming game vs Cryx 35pts

Post by ArqArturo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:05 am

I have a game with a friend who's wielding a very weird Cryx list.

What I think he's bringing is:

pGhasty
*Defiler

2 10-man units of Bane Thralls
1 Machine Wraith
1 10-man unit of Mechanithralls with two Brute Thralls
2 Pistol Wraiths
1 6-man unit of Satyxis Raiders

What I'm bringing is:

pVlad
1 Spriggan

Eyriss, Mage Hunter of Ios
Harlan Versh
Tactical Arcanist Corps
Lay Aiyanna & Master Holt with Koldun Kapitan Valachev as the UA

Widowmakers
Widowmaker Marskman
Great Bears of Gallowswood
1 4-man unit of Battle Mechaniks

The idea is to do the least khadoran thing to do: Wear down the Cryx units with range, AoE bombing and spells, magical attacks, and other shenanigans before running down Ghaspy.

And no, sadly I don't have Greylords, but I could proxy. Any suggestions?.
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi

Mr. Mayhem
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Upcoming game vs Cryx 35pts

Post by Mr. Mayhem » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:07 pm

I imagine you game has come and gone, but if his units (namely the Bane Thralls & Satiyxis) didn't bring their respective unit attachments, the game will/should have gone much easier than if he had brought them. Fortunately, between Aiyana's Lurnasar's Touch spell, the TAC and Harlan Versh, you've got a great number of magic/magical attacks to deal with the Wraiths. It's also fortunate that he didn't field a Nercosurgeon or two, as they can make eliminating the Mechanithralls a horrendously difficult undertaking.

Were I to actually read this before your game took place, I would say that there's nothing wrong with hanging back and shooting his stuff up as best you can, particularly as you know the vast majority of his army is going to be running straight at you. The only issue I can see arising from that is perhaps hanging back to far and losing on scenario from him overrunning the flags/zones. Obviously shooting Asphyxious with Eiryss is ideal, but a good secondary target is the Defiler, as a disruptor bolt will stop channeling for a turn. Also, don't underestimate how hard he can smash things personally. Sustained attack + Parasite (+ Scything Touch if showing off) and his feat to refill his focus can allow him to kill almost anything he can reach, and then Teleport off. Good luck/hope it went well.
Warmachine/Hordes Battle Reports

Those smote by Mulg the Ancient: EStryker, Constance Blaize, ENemo, Amon, Karchev, Venethrax, PVyros, PMagnus, PKruger, EKruger, Grayle, Morghoul1, Mordikar, Rhyas, PThagrosh, PLylth, Arkadius, Rask

ArqArturo
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: Upcoming game vs Cryx 35pts

Post by ArqArturo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:13 pm

Heh, yes it came and went (And I'm answering it two months later :p), and it was fairly easy, especially since this game had no objectives other than the 'caster kill. His common tactic is sending the banes, thralls and witches en masse and slightly dispersed to avoid AoEs, flank with the pistol wraiths and the machine wraith to deal with 'pesky solos', and use Ghaspy for assassination/debuffing of heavy units; what I did was move back and shoot, and never gave him a chance. He even taunted me a couple of times saying 'Play like you've got a pair', and I'm used to that kind of banter (spent most of my teenage years in fighting game arcades and LAN-parties, so I'm used to a little competitive talk :p), but eventually he got a little desperate and pushed through. The Defiler kept using the AoE ability to keep my widomakers from getting too close to shoot anything of importance, and Eyriss bagged the witches, with a little help of the widowmakers that did manage to get close

Harlan took several thralls and a machine wraith, the TACs died, but provided cover and did bag a pistol wraith. The Widowmakers killed the other pistol wraith and some mechanithralls, and the great bears and LA-MH took some of the banethralls behore Ghaspy teleported and killed them all... Only to then get shot by Harlan Versh >:).

After that, the Spriggan moved in, alongside Vlad, and it was all over.
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi

Return to “Warmachine and Hordes”