Starting a Khador Army

Talk about Privateer Press steam-powered fantasy game here.
BunkhouseBuster
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Starting a Khador Army

Post by BunkhouseBuster » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:05 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm starting up a Khador army and I would like to ask a few questions about Khador as an army, and about Warmachine in general. Some backstory: I bought the Warmachine starter set a few years back, and figured that it was time to do something with them. I've played Warhammer Fantasy and 40K for almost 5 years now, and I feel like it's time to add in another game system.

So anyways, some questions:

- Is Kommander Sorscha a viable Warcaster? I haven't grasped the rules yet or how Focus works, but Sorscha's backstory and fluff are the most interesting to me from the Khador book.

- What would be a good second Warcaster to get? I'm leaning towards Karchev or the Butcher, but I'm open to the others.

- I have the starter box, so I have Sorscha, a Man-O-War Shocktroopers unit, a Juggernaut, and a Destroyer. What would be your recommendations for my next purchases? I'm leaning towards Winter Guard and Beast 09 first, but I'm open to suggestions.

- What is a good online resource to help me learn the rules and tactics of the game?

Thanks for the help! I hope to starting taking pictures of my models as I get them painted up and posting them here as I get to them.
My Wargaming Collections
Space Wolves and Space Marines
Lizardmen
Astra Militarum
Khador

Meodread
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Starting a Khador Army

Post by Meodread » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:50 pm

Kind of in the same boat, though I'm looking to start a Harkevich army (currently have him, Black Ivan and a Winter Guard Rifle Corps boxset from a previous attempt at the game) I'm looking to keep to a tier list with it any suggestions?
40k: Space Marines, Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Chaos Space Marines, Tau and Eldar

Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, Dwarves, Dark Elves, High Elves and Skaven
Pondering adding Warmachine and Hordes to my cycle

baummonster
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by baummonster » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:47 pm

I'll try to keep my responses short and spare everyone a wall of text
(//addit: Well, so much for not producing a wall of text... Anyway, I you still have question, just go ahead!)

The starter set Sorsha, also called pSorsha or Sorsha1, can still be viable, although she doesn't get played that much. Her biggest strength is also her weakness. She's kind of a jack of all trades, offering a variety of stuff but doesn't excel in any of them.

pButcher is probably the easiest choice to go for. He's very simple and forgiving to play and works with alot of lists reliably. Karchev can be fun as well, although you'll need some other warjacks to get the most out of him.

As for your first purchases after the set, I'd go for Widowmakers, a wardog or the Spriggan heavy kit. All of those are quite versatile and don't require buffs to do their jobs. Winter Guard (WGI) require alot of support from the caster and/or other models like the Unit Attachment, Kovnik Joe etc to be really effective. Beast 09 is an absolute monster, but very expensive to field.

I'm an avid defender of the "learn through pain" doctrine, so to learn the rules and tactics, the best way is of course playing. Get out there and your butt kicked :p Mistakes made that way will stay in your head much better than simply reading about them. But online, I'd stick to some forums and battle reports. I prefer video ones purely for their entertainment value, but written ones can be fun as well. For forums, I'd recommend the official Privateer Press one, battlecollege and of course this one right here. There are tons more out there, so just take your pick

I'm not really into Harkevich and tbh, I don't find his tier list to be overly impressive. It's not bad, but nothing to celebrate around either way. I wouldn't try it for the beginning, as it simply restricts too many units. If you still want to stick to it, I'd suggest a Winter Guard Death Star, another shooty warjack besides ivan and whatever support you can fit into the list
Honor I do not seek, but a worthy death must be earned

Meodread
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Meodread » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:15 pm

baummonster wrote:I'll try to keep my responses short and spare everyone a wall of text
(//addit: Well, so much for not producing a wall of text... Anyway, I you still have question, just go ahead!)

The starter set Sorsha, also called pSorsha or Sorsha1, can still be viable, although she doesn't get played that much. Her biggest strength is also her weakness. She's kind of a jack of all trades, offering a variety of stuff but doesn't excel in any of them.

pButcher is probably the easiest choice to go for. He's very simple and forgiving to play and works with alot of lists reliably. Karchev can be fun as well, although you'll need some other warjacks to get the most out of him.

As for your first purchases after the set, I'd go for Widowmakers, a wardog or the Spriggan heavy kit. All of those are quite versatile and don't require buffs to do their jobs. Winter Guard (WGI) require alot of support from the caster and/or other models like the Unit Attachment, Kovnik Joe etc to be really effective. Beast 09 is an absolute monster, but very expensive to field.

I'm an avid defender of the "learn through pain" doctrine, so to learn the rules and tactics, the best way is of course playing. Get out there and your butt kicked :p Mistakes made that way will stay in your head much better than simply reading about them. But online, I'd stick to some forums and battle reports. I prefer video ones purely for their entertainment value, but written ones can be fun as well. For forums, I'd recommend the official Privateer Press one, battlecollege and of course this one right here. There are tons more out there, so just take your pick

I'm not really into Harkevich and tbh, I don't find his tier list to be overly impressive. It's not bad, but nothing to celebrate around either way. I wouldn't try it for the beginning, as it simply restricts too many units. If you still want to stick to it, I'd suggest a Winter Guard Death Star, another shooty warjack besides ivan and whatever support you can fit into the list
What is it you see as the lists strengths and weaknesses since that probably will be a tad bit more convincing :P thanks for the time :)
40k: Space Marines, Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Chaos Space Marines, Tau and Eldar

Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, Dwarves, Dark Elves, High Elves and Skaven
Pondering adding Warmachine and Hordes to my cycle

Greywolf
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #2Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Greywolf » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:03 am

Welcome to the Motherland.

pSorscha is a great beginning caster. I personally find her the most interesting to play and play her the most often vs. the other Khador casters. But then, I have been playing her from the start and it was a large learning curve to be able to utilize her in different ways. So what baummonster said about her biggest strength being her biggest weakness is pretty accurate, especially when learning to play her. Battle box/learning games, she can be pretty devastating and give you a false sense of security if you are not careful to learn other aspects of her than pop feat, run in, beat face.

I second pButcher (or now with three variations Butcher1) as a great learning and just all around fun caster to play. He is probably one of the most forgiving casters we have for new players in all honesty. He's durable, has a great spell list, and complements a lot of our 'jacks/units well. The Vlads also fall into this category most of the time as well.

Karchev and Harkevich. Both very fun to play, both very difficult to master. A majority of new players I have seen tend to try and just run Karchev hard up the middle as a monster in melee and forget that he is your warcaster and can do other things. While he is certainly a hard target, he is not invincible and you definitely need to bring the right army and support to play him well. Same for Harkevich. You will sometimes hear him referred to as the Bearded Bart (which is weird as Bart has a beard too! LOL) because their spell lists are similar. Harkevich is probably the best caster to play in tier that we have. Not that other tiers aren't good, its just that he seems to shine in his teir more than the others as they can run other lists extremely well where he struggles.

As mentioned above, Widowmakers are a great addition to any Khador force. Some others I suggest that work well with various casters are:
War Dog
Manhunters
Iron Fang Pikemen w/UA & Kovnik (even better with Black Dragon upgrade)
Winter Guard Infantry w/UA & Kovnik Joe
Spriggan kit and clam 'jack kit are machines you will want to give most any caster
Beast 09 and Behemoth for our character 'jacks
Some useful Merc solos/attachments
Sylys
Reinholdt
Gorman Di Wulfe
Eyriss1

But if you are like me, you will probably end up with some of everything anyway! LOL Good luck!
https://www.facebook.com/gearsandgutsgamingclub
Gears and Guts Gaming Club
Gaming in Sanford, NC

baummonster
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by baummonster » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:21 am

Meodread wrote:What is it you see as the lists strengths and weaknesses since that probably will be a tad bit more convincing :P thanks for the time :)
His tier list is not completely garbage and can be worthwile. For the most part tho, I think the tradeoffs aren't really worth it. You just skip upon so much melee stuff

I think that his Tier 1 and 3 effects are not really worth the effort. Starting roll bonus is a more of a side-effect, nothing I'd gear my list towards. Wreck markers, depending on the matchup, can be outright useless or even hindering yourself more than your enemy.

Tier 4 is always nice, but you won't really get to use it below 50 points. Maybe 42, but 35 will probably be too tight already. The Tier 2 one sounds nice, but then he only has two upkeeps to begin with, so you basically save 4 focus on turn one. Might be worth it, but again I wouldn't put too much effort into it.

Not sticking to tier would give you access to Fenris, who is imo one of the best melee solos in the entire game, IFP / Black Dragons and the awesome IF Kovnik. The Kovnik is just so incredibly useful with MoW Shocktroopers

BunkhouseBuster

Post by BunkhouseBuster » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:08 pm

At the recommendations, I broke down and grabbed up a Butcher 1 model to paint up. And looking and the tiered theme lists, I noticed that the Butcher and Sorscha each share some of the same units in the way of Man-O-Wars, Winter Guard, and Manhunters, which were the units and models I had more interest in.

At this point now for me it's get things painted up and get some practice games in to learn. Only issue is that I'm the first in my circle of wargaming friends who is interested in Warmachine, so I'll be reaching out to the local gaming clubs and hit up their league players. Wish me luck!

I'll start putting up pictures of my finished models in the future.
My Wargaming Collections
Lizardmen
Astra Militarum
Khador

BunkhouseBuster

Post by BunkhouseBuster » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:13 pm

I managed to get the Butcher 1 painted up since I picked him up on Monday. If I can find my camera, I'll get pictures of everything up at some point. So far my army painted is the Butcher, Sorscha, a Destroyer Warjack, and one Man-O-War Shocktrooper. Next up, 4 Shocktroopers and a Juggernaut.

Another question for the Veterans:

What other books do I need to grab? I have the mini rulebook and the Khador army book. What do I need to grab next? I know that there are books that have the rules for the Gun Carriage and huge Warjacks, which are those, and are there any others?
My Wargaming Collections
Lizardmen
Astra Militarum
Khador

baummonster
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by baummonster » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:26 pm

You don't really need to buy any, except for the main rulebook. All others are purely optional, although they provide some awesome fluff and the possibility to proxy alot of new stuff

Warmachine - Wrath <-- Battle Engines
Warmachine - Colossals <-- Colossals (duh)

BunkhouseBuster

Post by BunkhouseBuster » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:20 pm

Update! Here's my painted Khador army so far. I took these pictures this morning when the lightning was good, and have them up for your viewing pleasure.

The Juggernaut and Man-O-Wars were not drybrushed when I took the pictures, nor I have I yet done the face of the unit officer. I also plan on doing some "frosting" effects on the Juggernaut's axe similar to what I did for my 40K Space Wolves. I'll get those up later once I've finished painting them. But for now, here it is!

My Wargaming Collections
Lizardmen
Astra Militarum
Khador

Greywolf
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #2Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Greywolf » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:52 am

Very nice work! A few mold lines on the 'jack and the red could use just a touch of wash to give it some depth, but overall they look very nice! The destroyer's gun barrel could use some black in the bore as well so it doesn't look solid. Really liking where these are going though!
Gaming in Sanford, NC

BunkhouseBuster

Post by BunkhouseBuster » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:44 am

Thanks! Some of those mold lines I did not see until I had taken the pictures, believe it or not. The models have since been finished, with some drybrushing and touch up done, but it'll be a bit longer before I can get to taking the pictures. Next up for them is basing.

You mention the red, but I was going for a more orange color. The color scheme is almost identical to the one I use on my 40K Space Wolves, and I went with that rather than the standard Khador colors to be a little unique.

And now I need to spend money on models, since that is the extent of my Khador army. That, or I can work on my Space Marines some more.
My Wargaming Collections
Lizardmen
Astra Militarum
Khador

Greywolf

Post by Greywolf » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:54 am

Yeah, sorry should have been more clear about the color. Not the shade per se, but the depth. They look flat (for either red or orange). Some wash to achieve either shade you are looking for will give the models more depth. But this could also be from the photos. I have seen models in person that were very well washed, but later saw a picture that "flattened" the color out. LOL

I too am a former Space Wolf. Although I went studio paint on those as well. LOL And you need more Khador as I'm sure you have plenty of SM models currently! LOL
Gaming in Sanford, NC

BunkhouseBuster

Post by BunkhouseBuster » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:22 am

Depth, gotcha. I think it's my camera, because my models all get a solid wash on them. If not my camera, then my own inexperience with Privateer Press models. I've been painting GW for 4 years now, and these are my first PP models. Plus I haven't painted a model before these in almost 2 months, so I am a bit sloppy too. Oh well.

In any case, I've expanded a bit. I got a Berserker, Man-O-War Kovnik, and Manhunter (variant). I'm thinking that the MOW Kovnik can help support the Berserker, and the Jack Marshall bonuses seem to work with the Berserker's charge and run bonus (conceptually at least, still haven't played a game.

Also, I've got some more painting done and picture to go with it. Below is my freshly finished Manhunter variant, and the finished Juggernaut with "frost" effects on the axe.

I'm also trying to hold off on any purchases for a while, at least until this (http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/11/ ... r-you.html) comes out. That basically has everything in it that I want to get for Khador, and at a massive discount. Looks like a bargain to me!
My Wargaming Collections
Lizardmen
Astra Militarum
Khador

Greywolf

Post by Greywolf » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:07 am

Very nice. Yeah, must have been the pics because I can see much more depth on that last Juggy.
Gaming in Sanford, NC