Circle Orboros - Getting Started

Talk about Privateer Press steam-powered fantasy game here.
Chief
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Circle Orboros - Getting Started

Post by Chief » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:50 am

Hey there, I'm just getting started with Warmachine and I picked up a two player battle box for Circle Orboros and Legion of Everblight, plus a few more units for Circle.

So far I have (Updated):
- pKaya + eKaya & Laris
- Warpwolf
- Argus + Winter Argus
- Gorax
- full Warpborn Skinwalkers + UA
- full Wolves of Orboros + UA
- Wolf Lord Morraig
- 6 Shifting Stones + UA
- 2 Gallows Grove
- Druid Wilder

I'm still waiting on Warpwolf shipments (my store always seems to be out of them) and I'm hoping to pick up Morvahna 2 fairly soon. After that, Kromac seems like the perfect complement, followed perhaps by a Krueger2 and Cassius pairing, to give me an excuse to pick up the nyss hunters.
Last edited by Chief on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

baummonster
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Circle Orboros - Getting Started

Post by baummonster » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:48 am

Can't really provide reliable specific recommendations, but I'd suggest to stay away from 50 point lists for now and get comfy on lower point matches first. 25-35 points will be just fine, and expanding up to 50 from there is quite smooth once you got a feel for your army :)
Honor I do not seek, but a worthy death must be earned

Mechnomancer
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Mechnomancer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Yeah, don't jump too far ahead. This game can get pretty complex the more models you add to the mix. Circle more than most. But, don't worry. You're on the right track. You're building a Morvhana2 list whether you know it or not. You could also look into Kromac.

Some unit to think about as you progress:
Woldstalkers
Bloodtrackers
Megalith
Gatormen posse
Gatorman witchdoctor
Woldwrath

Chief

Post by Chief » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:17 pm

Where do you stand on Bloodtrackers vs. Woldstalkers; they seem like very similar types of units. Is the crock doc and/or pMorvahna/pBaldur necessary to justify the Bloodtrackers, or are they a good enough stand-alone unit to stand up to the Woldstalkers?

fredbob524
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by fredbob524 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:26 pm

Both of those units have very set purposes, Kormac also has one of the most hard set lists in the faction and it is very good. eMorvanna is also a top 5 caster in the entire game, but don't think of that as a bad thing, rather a great thing.

A 50pt Kromac list will probably have something like this:
Kromac the Ravenous
* Ghetorix
* Warpwolf Stalker
* Feral Warpwolf
* Gorax
* Druid Wilder
Druid Stoneward and Woldstalkers
Druid Stoneward and Woldstalkers
Shifting Stones
* Stone Keeper
Shifting Stones
Gallows Grove
Gallows Grove
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew
This is Will Pagani's list but it is standard to essentially all Kromac players, it kills it against cryx and 3Butcher and pairs spectacularly with eMorv. (THis is the link to the blog post with his 2 lists from a tournament, Morv 2 is his second caster, and he runs an interesting list I will throw it up here too. http://guildwarmachine.blogspot.com/201 ... agani.html)
Morvahna the Dawnshadow
* Warpwolf Stalker
* Warpwolf Stalker
* Gorax
Warpborn Skinwalkers Max
* Warpborn Alpha
Wolves of Orboros Max
* Wolves of Orboros Chieftain and Standard
Shifting Stones
* Stone Keeper
Shifting Stones
Wolf Lord Morraig
Gallows Grove
Gallows Grove

As to what you should get now there are some necessities. A gorax is in almost all lists because otherwise your heavies are too pillow fisted. A second unit of stones is a must, you will literally break peoples brains with assassination vectors, once you start mixing in teleporting a stone through another set to get a super far up beast in range to teleport and stuff, and with Kromacs warpath it is great. I would strongly recommend you do NOT get more skinwalkers, before the UA they where terrible, and they are really only worth it with the UA. Bloodtrackers are a good purchase but they also really need Nuala with them. Gallows Groves are also really important, 2 of them can shut down tough, channel spells, do anything you need.
Est semper periculum proelium mortis
The is always danger of death in battle.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace prepare for war-Hammerofheemporer

Chief

Post by Chief » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:45 pm

So my next purchases should be something along the lines of:

1. Gorax
2. Morvahna 2
3. Gallows Groves (2)
4. Warpwolf
5. Shifting Stones

That sound about right?

------------------------------------

I've noticed that I'm wanting to include a lot more Minions in my army than other factions do (Gatorman Posses, Swamp Gobbers crews, Nyss Hunters, Bog Trogs, etc.). Is this normal of Circle Orboros, are our in faction units a little lacking in certain roles, or is this just me?

Also, what role to the Gobbers fill in the Kromac list? Wouldn't they be better replaced with a second Warpwolf Stalker, for sprint redundancy (along with dropping the feral, of course).

Thank you so much for the detailed help and I'm sorry to be asking so many questions, but it's a lot to take in.

fredbob524

Post by fredbob524 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:32 pm

Looks like a good list of what to buy. The point of the Kromac list is it gives up almost no souls, so yea the gobbers seem weird but they throw a cloud which you can block los or give higher def to your squishy support pieces.
They are obviously a good minion buy another really popular one is Gatorman Witch Doctors, they are excellent with eMorvanna or any infantry squad. They make the unit tough and more importantly undead which is crazy good. If you want a eMorvanna list they easily slot in

Chief

Post by Chief » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:31 am

This is the army I would love to play with Morvahna. It’s way outside of my budget right now, but it looks absolutely amazing on paper:

Morvahna the Dawnshadow
* Woldwrath
* Woldwatcher
Reaves of Orboros (leader & 9 grunts)
Shifting Stones
Warpborn Skinwalkers (leader & 4 grunts)
* Warpborn Alpha
Blackclad Wayfarer
Gallows Grove
Reave Hunter
War Wolf
War Wolf

In theory, this list looks absolutely deadly in the grind game, assassination game and scenario game.

Grind
The Woldwrath’s large base and solid defenses, along with the Woldwatcher’s ability to take hits for him, effectively acting as a second spiral, should make Morvahna a difficult enough assassination target to force a grind game if necessary.
With Morvahna protected, the Skinwalkers in tandem with Morvahna’s feat and Carnivore make for an absolutely devastating grind unit against anything short of Trollblood’s Meat Mountain, while 17/13 Reave Hunters and a 12” range on their bows will be a headache for anyone trying to engage in a range grind.

Assassination
There are three main vectors for assassination in this list. The first comes from Morvahna herself, dropping a large number of units around the enemy caster with her feat and blasting them (or a stone) with Death Nell. Second is the Woldwrath, simply blasting the opposing caster off the board. Last, but not least, are the Reave Hunters’ CRA which, in addition to a feat-spawned War Wolf, can really lay the hurt on from a long distance.

Scenario
By placing a near unmovable 120 mm base in the middle of the board, plus getting up in the enemies face with unyielding skinwalkers by the end of turn 2 and the mobility granted to both by the Blackclad Wayfarer and his Stones, the opponent should be hard-pressed to effectively contest mid field without risking either his caster or getting bogged down in a grind.

Unfavourable Match-Ups
1. Anything that can see through the Woldwrath or with enough mobility and range to get a line to Morvahna herself. She supports her army phenomenally, but at cost to her own durability, making her an easy assassination for anyone who can get to her.
2. Anything that can grind just as hard without exposing their Warlock. Admittedly this is easier said than done, since the Reaves have Hunter, Speed and Range on their side and correct placement of a feated Grove can shut down tough, on which a lot of grind armies rely, but still possible.
3. Anything that can easily chew through the Woldwrath. With a Watcher at his back and stones to juice him every turn, I don’t think this should be common, but with some hot dice in a dedicated army, it’s always possible and with 20 points dedicated to a single model, as well as Morvahna’s fate resting on his shoulders losing him early could hurt a lot.
4. Anything that can shut down ranged attacks without use of forests, stealth, etc, cutting off my Reaves, Woldwrath and Blackclad.

fredbob524

Post by fredbob524 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:44 pm

I like it. Just remember eMorv does nothing to improve the woldwraths survivability, and many lists are designed to one round a colossal, so don't put it up far in the front of your army.

Chief

Post by Chief » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm hoping that with the Reaves plinking and the Skinwalkers and Stones screening this should not be common, though I suppose for a tournament a pMorvahna or eKrueger pairing couldn't hurt to take that match for eMorvahna.

I'm curious as to how Circle players take on Meat Mountain though. I haven't had the misfortune of running into this list yet, but 8 points for 40 ARM 21 Wounds with Weapon Masters seem like you could get a lot of mileage out of them, even before factoring in the Warlock's spell list, especially against a faction that has traditionally had trouble cracking high ARM.

fredbob524

Post by fredbob524 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:16 am

I think depending on the eMorv build she may have the attrition power to fight through it. Assuming she can kill enough before she feats that when she brings her stuff back they can, along with maybe a stalker finish the job. You can also have sweet 8 wound models the issue is yours are less survivable and don't hit as hard, so you are to an extent counting on your feat.
I think Kromac is also a really interesting matchup there. With lighting strike and warpath, you should be able to kill 2-4 models a turn, I am not sure if that will be enough. The little shooting shrimp should combine for a champion or two a turn. Also when you are ready to lose a beast you can primal it and send it in, it should get 2-4 on its own. you just have to be careful on the trade.
Te other one of the top 3 Circle casters, eKreuger has a feat that really messes with meat mountain, the -2 speed means already painfully slow models are going nowhere, no charges, barely runing somewhere. He can also TK and Gallows parts of nits to make them easy to kill, so he can play a really good scenario game there.
Circle also always has the best solution, that is kill the caster, Kromac has insane distances on his ghetorix or Stalker (effectively 15in from the start, not counting double port. eMorv has her feat to spell eGrissel once or twice and can often lam a stalker in from 15 inches.

Badger
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Badger » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:52 pm

Grayle is an excellent choice for the models you have now. He loves Morraig, WoO, Warpwolves and Winter Argus. If you're planning on getting Reeves, they're very themey with him, and would be a decent support unit if you pick up an Argus Moonhound.
"Men follow courage, not treachery."

fredbob524

Post by fredbob524 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:08 pm

Grayle is also considered bar none the worst caster in Circle, and probably bottom 5ish in hordes.

Chief

Post by Chief » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:49 pm

When did Grayle upstage pKaya? I was under the impression around his release he was considered pretty okay.

Chief

Post by Chief » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:45 pm

Popped into the store today, picked up a Gorax, a second set of Shifting Stones and some Gallows Groves. Still missing a Warpwolf and eMorvahna (they were out of both again). Having some trouble with Shifting Stones (making them do more than just charging would have) and any advice would be appreciated.