Things I've learned today (aka Cryx is creepy)

Talk about Privateer Press steam-powered fantasy game here.
ArqArturo
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Things I've learned today (aka Cryx is creepy)

Post by ArqArturo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:48 am

1.- To hate pAsphyxious.
2.- To hate pAsphyxious.
3.- That Machine Wraiths can ruin your day.
4.- That as a Khador player that focuses on Manowar units, there's nothing I have to fear of pistol wraiths.
5.- That the Great Bears of Gallowswood need a delivery system before going for the kill.
6.- To hate pAsphyxious

Guess I'm going to have to use *twitch* Greylord units *twitch*
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi

Mechnomancer
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Things I've learned today (aka Cryx is creepy)

Post by Mechnomancer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:15 pm

What were the lists?

ArqArturo

Post by ArqArturo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:51 pm

Mine was:

pVlad with a Spriggan, a Decimator, and a Wardog
Full unit of Manowar Shocktroopers
Great Bears of Gallowswood
Widomakers
Manhunter

Cryx:

pAshpyxious with a Descrator and two Ripjaws
Full unit of Bane Thralls (no UA)
Full unit of Mechanithralls with a single Brute Thrall
Two Pistol Wraiths
Two Machine Wraiths

Basically what he did was to get rid of the Great Bears first, and the wardog, only to separate Vlad from the Spriggan, whom was causing the more harm. The Decimator was keeping the desecrator busy, while the MoW were taking care of the bane thralls (still amazed that with weapon measter they killed only one in shield wall).

Also, Signs and Portents is an awesome buff.

Last time I played versus a similar list, I was running pButcher, a Destroyer, less manowar, and Lady Aiyanna & Master Holt. I was able to take out the incorporeals thanks to the Aiyanna turning my other unit/warjack weapons into magical ones, as well making herself and Master Holt stealthy to avoid any nasty surprises.
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:08 pm

Why don't you like Grey Lord units?
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

ArqArturo

Post by ArqArturo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:37 pm

I've an issue with squishy units, especially when playing versus cryx (most players here are either Cryx, or Menoth, and both make a lot of use for soul tokens), but I have to admit that the Greylords can be useful (I just ordered a Valachev, and I'm thinking of getting a Koldun Lord).
Last edited by ArqArturo on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mechnomancer
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Mechnomancer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:42 pm

Well, I wouldn't rely on armor v. Cryx. Everything is squishy against them. That Ghaspy list cans swing armor by as much as 7 points. Speed is the key against ghaspy1. You need to dictate the battlefield and take out his arc nodes. Then attrition him down. Just don't get into charge range of Ghaspy. Save the great bears to finish off anything. Just don't risk them too much. Man o wars are just too slow. Your going to have to run them at least two turns. You can sacrifice them to get better position with Vlad and the bears.

ArqArturo

Post by ArqArturo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Yup, learnt the hard way. I wish I could say that I can correct that, but that's most of what I have, and the store is moving, so there's no way to get anything new (and they do orders, they have little in the shelves, other than paints). I do have a minimal unit of Winter Guard, plus the UA, but I fill that would be giving gryx some soul tokens.

I do have Lady Aiyanna & Master Holt, who they can give magical weapons to my guys, though.

Mechnomancer
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Mechnomancer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:58 pm

Winterguard Death Star is good against Cryx. You just have to be able to recognize threat ranges. Ayana and Holt is a good take as well. Blood Witches, Blackbane's, machine wraiths, pistol wraiths and Denny2 all rely on incorporeal to stay alive. Without it they're really easy to kill.

MWG-Owen
Gold Vault Member

Post by MWG-Owen » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:08 am

Winterguard with Iron Flesh is very hard for Gaspy to deal with. Its also not usually a good idea to depend on armor against Cryx as the people above me have said. Bane Thralls make armor almost pointless. I find that the low Mat most of their units have is best exploited with high Def. Something Khador can do with Kayazy and Winterguard.

Also eAsphyxious is far worse...

ArqArturo

Post by ArqArturo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:24 pm

WG+ Iron Flesh + Bob and Weave... Sounds like a plan :).

I've yet to play vs an epic warcaster (though I have plans to get the Butcher Unleahsed, plus a wardog, plus some fenrisian wolves for some costumization :p), but seeing the eAshpyxious (both versions) is frightening enough to play a faction with little magical/blessed weapons, but plenty of magical attack options (I'm looking at you, Greylord units/solos/UAs).

Mechnomancer
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Mechnomancer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:12 pm

Winterguard + Parasite + Ghaspy1 feat. Just be aware of this.

ArqArturo

Post by ArqArturo » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:33 pm

I recently asked the store owner to order me some Tactical Arcanist troops, as well as both Strakhov, and Valachev to attach to either them, or my other merc unit, Lady Aiyanna & Master Holt; although, to be fair, I think Valachev works best with the Arcanist Corps because they benefit more from either caster buff I give them, since I mostly keep Aiyanna as my 'magical weapon' buffer.

The trick should be to put lots of cloud effects over my MoW to give them extra defense, cloud effects to keep nasty critters away (pistol wraiths and machine wraiths), as well as speed. Now, how to Greylord units, plus Zerkova, behave vs Ghaspy/Denny lists?.

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:14 am

CRYX FOREVER!

that is all...
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

ArqArturo

Post by ArqArturo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:35 pm

The motherland does not approve :p

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:29 pm

ArqArturo wrote:The motherland does not approve :p
The Dragon God does though! He agrees ALOT
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria