Help with the little boys in Blue (trenchers choice?)

Talk about Privateer Press steam-powered fantasy game here.
ArqArturo
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Help with the little boys in Blue (trenchers choice?)

Post by ArqArturo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:45 pm

So a friend decided to get into Warmachine, but, he picked up Cygnar as his army (he declined going the Menoth way, as he likes to play 'the good guys' in any game), so he picked battlebox, plus the journeyman warcaster, the heavy warjack kit, and he's considering getting trenchers. I've been telling him he should get ol' rowdy instead, but he's asked me if I wanted to convert the heavy warjack into ol' rowy (which terrifies me, since my conversions are small, not something of that nature).

Is getting trenchers a good idea for Nemo?.
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi

Zweedish9
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Help with the little boys in Blue (trenchers choice?)

Post by Zweedish9 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:57 pm

The short answer:

No.

The long answer:

Which Nemo is it?

It's probably still no. I see Nemo wanting electrically immune infantry (Stormblade/Stormguard).
Trenchers are generally overcosted for what they end up accomplishing in a game.

I'm not a Cygnar Player so this advice may be extremely off base, except for that Trenchers are generally meh to why the hell did I play these again????
"I want to play FOW but I can't get into the fluff"

"Nuts"

ArqArturo

Post by ArqArturo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:38 am

it's pNemo. And seeing the battle college, even ol' Rowdy is a bad choice, so I went and told him to get the thunderhead instead (they don't have it in the local store, so he might have to buy it online).

And, I think trenchers go with Caine, or Captain Cygnar, I mean Coleman Stryker (let's face it, he's the Captain America of Cygnar).
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi

Badger
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Badger » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:10 am

pCaine is the king for trenchers. pStryker, pHaley, Sloan and Kraye make pretty solid use of them as well though.
"Men follow courage, not treachery."

gobbo7603
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by gobbo7603 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:36 am

pNemo doesn't want Trenchers.

The casters Badger pointed out (with the exception of Kraye who I feel does nothing for them) all make better use of them oh and eHaley as well :-)

I think before you get DJ Thunder I would get the Stormclad first. Can't knock a P&S 21 Heavy Warjack.

Things I find work well are
Stormclad - Outside of Stormwall our best melee heavy
Lancer - pNemo loves an Arc Node
Thorn - Having great fun running in place of a Lancer. Shocked my mate when Thorn engaged the Old Witch from 17" away and skewered her on his Disruption Spear :-)
Stormguard - Nice front line unit with Deflection up and Arcane Shield on them make them hard to shift from range.
Arlan Strangeways - Feeds pNemo power tokens with his abilities, and they are useful as well.

Badger
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Badger » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:18 am

With kraye it's less what he does for trenchers, and more what trenchers do for him. I like using commandos with him (although I like commandos with just about anyone), and regular infantry are nice for throwing up smoke for your prowl units like the black 13th. The mastergunner is really handy as well, and he can fit into many lists. It's worth noting that his artillerist ability works on Ryan's mage storm too.
"Men follow courage, not treachery."

ArqArturo

Post by ArqArturo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:11 am

I dislike smoke, maybe because I don't have kommandos.