40k player's take on Warmachine

Talk about Privateer Press steam-powered fantasy game here.
Donteatrawhagis
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

40k player's take on Warmachine

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:35 am

Yesterday, at my FLGS I spotted a bunch of guys playing Warmachine. While I always watched for a little bit I never really stuck around. However that day was different when one of the guys said that we could do a low point match with some extra figurines he had lying around. Have to say it was overall an interesting experience.

What I liked:
  • Lack of Armor saves - Honestly when I roll 9 wounds and only 1 goes through I'm ticked off. In Warmachine its all about rolling higher than the enemies armor. No saves, no feeling like your opponent is cheating. You don't roll high its all on you.
  • The durability of units - Warjacks and Leaders can take beatings. In 40k my Warlord could die with one bad roll.
  • Warjack wounds - marking what thimbs they lost or what critical system was great. Made me feel better about warjack/vehicles in games.
  • Managing focus - Being able to give my warjacks +1 dice on rolls was nice and made me feel great.
What I disliked:
  • Too similar models - I could not tell the difference between my army and my opponent's warjacks. They were different armies, but his looked exactly the same as mine except for his leader and two small warjacks that looked like scorpions.
  • No army I like - I haven't scratched the surface of army lore yet, but from a visual perspective there isn't one that I like more than the others right now. From a gameplay perspective I understand some have different abilities than others, but it still comes to the aesthetics for me.
Result of the fight:
My opponent and I were down to our leaders and 1 badly damaged warjack each. I charged his leader with mine, spent all my focus trying to hurt him. Got him down to 1 HP(boiled down to decent dice rolls not getting high enough). His leader's turn killed me. Over killed by 3 HP. Good game and since I knew wargaming the guy actually enjoyed the game.
Writer/Programmer

ArqArturo

Re: 40k player's take on Warmachine

Post by ArqArturo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:08 am

I won't discuss the details of the positive points, because there's no fun in that :p, so I'll cover the downsides:

On point one, that actually also ticks me a off a bit, especially when you have large units (say, for example, Protectorate's Exemplar Errants, whom I have four models that look exactly alike, or Khador's Winter Guard), I've come to overcome this by either painting some things different, or giving them different poses, so they stand out.

On point two, what 40k army do you like? PP has been introducing a new faction on Warmachine (Convergence of Cyriss), and I'm hoping they'll do the same on Hordes (I say it'll be giant birds as warbeasts), and Cyriss looks nothing like the other factions (think of necrons, only less evil), and I think the units are neat.

Either way, good to know you had a good time playing WarmaHordes. The game feels fast-paced, and so far I have yet to have a dull moment when playing :) ... Well, maybe when I'm playing with the King of the Hill rules, but meh XD.
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi

baummonster
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by baummonster » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:42 am

Out of curiosity, what factions we're you guys using? I can't think of two looking similar, maybe between cygnar and some mercs but otherwise the factions look pretty distinct. In faction tho the jacks/beasts tend to look much alike at first glance, because most of them are based on the same base chassis/body

Have you looked at Hordes yet? Basicially the same game (the Focus mechanic is different, but thats about it) with fantasy'esque faction: dragons, werewolves, trolls, you name it
Honor I do not seek, but a worthy death must be earned

Donteatrawhagis

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:57 am

My main dislike of the models came from comparing army to army mostly. I couldn't tell aside from weapons/gameplay how my Warjack were different from my opponents. I played The Protectorate of Menoth and my opponent was Cryx. From my perspective it felt like the Warjacks(he had bonejacks which I grant you are majorly different) were made by the same guy but he sold claws to him where my guys had flame throwers. I didn't mind that two of mine looked similar with different gear, because I am used to that in 40k with different variant vehicles(e.g. Razorback/Rhino/Exorcist/Whirlwind/Vindicator).

Think you almost sold me on Convergence of Cyriss. At least from that video it seems that the designers mentioned that they would be a warjack heavy army. And that is sort of what I want. The only downside I have with them is that their warjacks don't look like Warjacks.

I think I am being a bit hypocritical right now, because I just said that the armies look too much alike. The only thing that really gets me are the legs and scale. I'd have to see when the army comes out with its starter box to decide. So in the End its a positive on Mechanics while a negative on Aesthetics for me for Convergence.

As far as 40k goes I am an Ork player, but when it comes to other games I rarely play orc equivellents. In Blood Bowl I play Dwarves. And my preference with most of games it run Walker/Mech Unit heavy lists. Battletech was a favorite when I was a kid. I'm a SciFi fan more than Fantasy which is why I am gravitating towards trying Warmachine.
Writer/Programmer

JP_is_here
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by JP_is_here » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:28 pm

Over time, distinguishing on model from another is easier. In the beginning I think all 40k players have a tough time understanding the difference between Dark Angels, Blood Angels, and Vanilla Marines. One thing about this game that is different then 40k, that highlights the positive and negative of both games is the aesthetics.

Converstions -

40k - have at it. people make some beautifully posed and details individual models, and it's encouraged and inspiring to see what creativity people can come up with. But the down side is your opponent may not know, or remember what your model is/does/represents which can be frustrating to someone else. Especially when there is no defining base size. I can't tell you how frustrating it was to me for the longest time that a local Nids player had a 30mm based "model" and called it a Tervigan b/c GW didn't define the model (until the model came out that is, and he subsequently dropped them)

WM/H - it's more specific to create conversions. In their tournament setting, which is very clearly defined, it prevents such misunderstandings or reason to pause during game play or make your opponant wonder what a model is. But, other then paint schemes all armies can be very similar and bland.

Phury
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Phury » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Also, have you checked out the Hordes factions? Maybe something there interests you.

exodusofman
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by exodusofman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:25 pm

Phury wrote:Also, have you checked out the Hordes factions? Maybe something there interests you.
I fall into a dark hole
And I can't come out
Do you know if Merlin did exist
Or Frodo wore the ring
Did Corum kill the gods
Or where's the wonderland
Which young Alice had seen
Or was it just a dream
I knew the answers
Now they're lost for me

Donteatrawhagis

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:28 pm

Nah. I don't enjoy Fantasy too much. Hordes is too much fantasy for me.
Writer/Programmer

Phury
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Phury » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:28 pm

To each there own.

Menoth and Cryx are pretty far apart in looks tbh. Maybe it's an outsider looking in. As stated earlier by JP, all spaces marines basically look the same to me from 40k and that's about half the armies in that game.

When it comes down to it, you have to enjoy the army you are painting and playing or you probably will stop painting/playing. If you can't find a faction you like looking at or enjoy the fluff for, I guess you have to decide if its the right game for you.

Another faction you could take a look at is mercenaries. They are a newer faction that are not quite as fleshed out but all their jacks I think have a much different look then the main factions. A little more scrappy and simplistic. Some people really like that look. They have different divisions too like the Rhulic (dwarves), Pirates, and Llael. Some of the best solos in the game come from mercenaries.

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:49 pm

ArqArtuo don't amke me start hping for an Avian or Armadyl like race with Winged Birdmen and the like being an army. I dhave to pick up and get a whole new army, no to mention being wa to excited over that. Sorry rant over.
Glad you are also getting into and liking Warmahcine Donteatrawhagis, as stated previously i believe posing and painting could help really make you like the armies astheics more and mike them look varied and different rather easily.
for Example i got 2 repenters and in order to make them look different i made sure to asemble one looking left with his flail to the ground with his head and flamer pointing in that direction and i am going to do a lava stream on his armor theme.
The other however had his flmae rbeing more neutral with his head and torso slightly raised as well as his flail armor postioned as if he is about to bring it down and smash his targets face in. Planing on having him have a more ice feel so when i get a second warcaster i got a jack for both.

Just some food for thought.
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Donteatrawhagis

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:43 pm

Looks like if I do get into the game it might be Cygnar. Just because they seem to have some reliability with Warjacks that the other guys don't though that could just be me. Also Gun Mages.
Writer/Programmer

exodusofman
Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by exodusofman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:36 pm

define reliability
I fall into a dark hole
And I can't come out
Or Frodo wore the ring
Did Corum kill the gods
Or was it just a dream
I knew the answers
Now they're lost for me

Zweedish9
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Zweedish9 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:59 pm

Menoth jacks when combined with Choir are infinitely better. They can actually run three heavies in a game.
"I want to play FOW but I can't get into the fluff"

"Nuts"

Donteatrawhagis

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:30 am

exodusofman wrote:define reliability
Khador are geared as Heavy Jack lists. And there is one nice Warcaster that can run large numbers of them.

As far as Cygnar goes their reliable in that I could see running two or three of their Warcasters with a Warjack list.
Writer/Programmer

exodusofman

Post by exodusofman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 am

Zweedish9 wrote:Menoth jacks when combined with Choir are infinitely better. They can actually run three heavies in a game.
^

I might be bias but the above poster is right. Most Menoth casters can support a healthy number of jacks. The avatar,and sanctifier are self sustaining jacks as is our colossal. Alot of the menoth jacks are very good on focus too like the reckoner(until you reach combat) vanquisher just needs choir buff and a vassal( both are staples)
I fall into a dark hole
And I can't come out
Or Frodo wore the ring
Did Corum kill the gods
Or was it just a dream
I knew the answers
Now they're lost for me