Cryx Infantry

Talk about Privateer Press steam-powered fantasy game here.
baummonster
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Cryx Infantry

Post by baummonster » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:36 pm

So .. I just recently switched from one dragon god to another and now I'm stuck at what infantry to pick. I'm foccusing mainly on Venethrax (most of the other players at my LGS play Hordes armies, so Dragon Slayer here we go!) and some Terminus for variety. Which, for me, boils down to three main choices:

- (Pirate-)Zombie spammage with Mechanithralls+Necrosurgeon and Revenant Crews: Big T's go to choice, the more the merrier. Venethrax will get some use out of them as well, but obviously Terminus is getting insane with those

- Bloodgorgers + General Slaughterborn: no knowdown tough rolls, gang, overtake, two attacks per model, extended charge range .. the list doesn't seem to stop. 8+3 pts for a max Unit and Solo seems like a steal too. Interestingly enough they make it into both casters tier lists, which in Venethrax' case even seems like a solid idea to go after. Additionally, since they bring tough themselves, they still remain a valid choice for a Terminus infantry screen. In some situations even more so than Zombies, since their medium bases can't be trampled

- Banes: Well, not really much to say here. Banes in all variety are just so good, esp when backed up by BLT.

So, c/c anyone? So far I guess I would go for the Bloodgorgers, but maybe there are some things I haven't considered yet. As a side note, money is kind of an issue. Not a complete dealbreaker, but being in college severly limits my funding for this hobby :P (yes, I'm looking at you, Bane Thralls/Knights >.> )
Honor I do not seek, but a worthy death must be earned

Bronzeback40
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Cryx Infantry

Post by Bronzeback40 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:32 am

I started Cryx for last year's journeyman league (that I missed out on due to RL). Being a fan of big stuff, I focused on jacks and solos. The games I did get in, Slaughterborn was brutal as hell. Even taken simply as a solo he is a worthwhile addition. Warwitch siren is also good solo, she has some good options such as focus allocating *Act and an offensive spell. Given your casters' overall attrition ability, mcThralls+NecSurgeon or revenants might be best options. Banr thralls really need UA+BLT... A lot of pts tied up in a big unit and solo. For same pts you can get max Mcthralls, necsurg, Slaughterborn, and still have a couple pts for other stuff (necrotechs are cool and they allow you to bring the hoilariously expendable scrap thralls.)
What, you think you're the only one who's mastered the ancient art of the nunchaku?

camsmclean
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by camsmclean » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:45 am

Outta what you listed, Id say the gorgers. The pirates dont have the power for larger stuff. And as you mentioned, banes can cost. But I do love banes, so watch for deal of the day or clearence.... they had bane knights on clearence about a month ago.... too late now though.

What about bile thralls. They are one of my favs and have always worked well for me. A mix of mechthralls and surgeon and bile thralls can work well, and put out some bodies.
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted

baummonster
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by baummonster » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:39 pm

Yeah, after pondering for a while I think I'll go down the mechani- + bilethrall route. Somehow I completely ignored Bilethralls .. their continuous corrision might be awesome with Venethrax

The Bloodgorgers fell somewhat out of the question, because after reading up on Terminus' special rules I realized they can't be sack pawned. And since I'd need a bigger undead unit beside them then it would be easier to go full out on Thralls.

Thanks for the advise =)

camsmclean
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by camsmclean » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:09 pm

I also enjoy my soulhunter. With pdenny and the dragoon guy (Wraith, I think).
Best part of soulhunter.....? They are on clearence right now!
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted

baummonster
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by baummonster » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:43 pm

Hehe, well unfortunately shopping at MWG is out of the question for me, the shipping and customs charges would make the hobby even more expensive than it already is :D And you got to support your LGS afterall ;)

Bigfi

Post by Bigfi » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:26 am

I'd recommend the bloodgorgers. you're taking Thrax so you'll be handing out soulharvester and they wreck with slaughterborn. venethrax will thank you for the extra souls as he wades in and decapitates some beasts with dragonslayer
fool me once shame on me, fool me twice... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
Cryx, Circle, CSM, and BA armies