New Faction: Convergence of Cyriss

Talk about Privateer Press steam-powered fantasy game here.
Celedor
Gold Vault Member

New Faction: Convergence of Cyriss

Post by Celedor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:36 am

Video.

Pics.

Yay, another faction I can't snack on or get Kill Shot from. :P

But, seriously, pretty exciting stuff. I really like the flavour of the faction at a glance. Also interesting new game-play dynamics in faction.

camsmclean
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Re: New Faction: Convergence of Cyriss

Post by camsmclean » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:40 am

Really!!!??? Wow, I really never thought about a new faction, lol.

Looks like Necrons with variety! Interesting.
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted

Eillas
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Eillas » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:44 am

I missed the keynote speech by 30 minutes because it was orignially announced for 10:30. So when I logged on people were asking the questions and I missed the video so I was getting pumped to see it. Then when PP finally put the video on their site I watched it and I must say a little disapointed with how it all looks. I am actually more interested in their tournament scene then I am with the new faction.

Bigfi

Post by Bigfi » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:08 pm

Goodbye money :(
fool me once shame on me, fool me twice... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
Cryx, Circle, CSM, and BA armies

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:23 pm

I'm of two mind of it... I mean it looks awesome and its a really cool idea.. but it sounds really powerful. PP has gone a great job keeping factions sorta balanced so far but this one.. recycled Focus? Yikes!
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

JP_is_here
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by JP_is_here » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:55 pm

Lady_Soria wrote:I'm of two mind of it... I mean it looks awesome and its a really cool idea.. but it sounds really powerful. PP has gone a great job keeping factions sorta balanced so far but this one.. recycled Focus? Yikes!
I'm in this camp too. Recycled focus, repairing warjacks (albeit it's stat card shows it's paper thin) and batlegroup wide field marshals? That's some powerful stuff.

Additionally, while the whole "MAT/RAT of the caster" is a neat idea, it's going to limit list building incredibly. Who would take a shooty jack at all, if the caster is rat 2? It makes specific jacks completely irrelevant w/ that caster, and all the sudden, playing the army just got extremely expensive.

Given, this is my initial reaction to extremely limited info. As is though assumtimating (yea, I coined that) on what's available, I see them as expensive to play, but powerful when mastered.

I reserve my final opinion for once they are released.

RedDragon924
Gold Vault Member

Post by RedDragon924 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:21 pm

How typical, features that could've been put into all of the factions in a limited-but-fair way gets thrown/spammed in a new faction.

And I kinda agree with soria and JP, the induction node stuff is pretty ridiculous when you think about it. The field marshal rules shown are crazy as well, compared to the only released one I know of, Harkevich's pathfinder. For the changeable weapons.... will have to wait and see what that's about, but I have a good guess.

But good for the Cyriss fans, they gots a faction now, one that seemed to have the right alignment of stars(get it? hahaha....). If I had bet Jordan money on who the new faction would've been, I just lost.

Flindo
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Flindo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:23 pm

these guys look pretty darn cool! but why another warmachine faction, why no love for hordes?
Infinity:
Morat 1400 Points
Warmachine:
Skorne 209 Points
Gatormen 141 points
Malifaux:
Gremlins 203 Soul Stones
Relic Knights:
Noh Empire: 68 points

baummonster
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by baummonster » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:24 pm

They already mentioned in the video that a Vector can only transfer a single focus per turn. Sounds imba at first but once you think about it, it not that strong actually.
I reckon the transfer will be considered as "allocating focus", so you still can't put more than three on a single jack (everything else would be quite OP, imagine three jacks giving one focus each to a fourth 'jack, which in turn could end up with a total of 6), and since you'd have to activate a jack to transfer them, figuring out your order of activation gets a tad more complicated too

Afterall, it all comes down to the exact wording. In the Q&A they mentioned that Cyriss went through two test cycles instead of the usual one, so they'll be quite fair I guess

@Flindo
They confirmed another Hordes faction as well, but that one isn't due until 2014 =/
Honor I do not seek, but a worthy death must be earned

Eillas
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Eillas » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:40 pm

The one thing that I really hope they do with this faction is slow roll it out like they did all their other new factions. As a Minions (gator) player it kind of upsets me that Minions has yet to see a Battle Engine or a Garg, yet they stated in the Keynotes that Rulic was getting their Big Boy. So with Cyriss I hope the initial push is decent but then it just slows to nearly a halt for a long while.

But I agree with some of the other posts I have read. Yes a new faction is big news but they still have a couple factions that just feel really incomplete right now and could have used a lot of love. Not to mention they also stated another Hordes faction is in the works.

camsmclean
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by camsmclean » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:58 pm

What would the new Hordes faction be? I dont have the big rule books, so I havent read much lore. The Cyriss totally suprised me.
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:27 pm

uhm....uhm......uhm.... IDK HOW TO FEEEEL!!!!
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Zweedish9
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Zweedish9 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Eillas wrote:. As a Minions (gator) player it kind of upsets me that Minions has yet to see a Battle Engine or a Garg, yet they stated in the Keynotes that Rulic was getting their Big Boy. So with Cyriss I hope the initial push is decent but then it just slows to nearly a halt for a long while.
Minions aren't actually a faction.

Cyriss are. Hence it will be more similar to how they did Ret than to minions.
"I want to play FOW but I can't get into the fluff"

"Nuts"

Dante The Dark Angel
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Dante The Dark Angel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:37 pm

I think they look cool, but personally I have no interest in them, hopefully they intrigue a certain someone I know so I can be justified in starting Trollblood after my Khador. I gotta say like mentioned above some of those abilities, especially the recycled focus, seem really powerful, I'll be see how they work out, and see how theyre balanced.
Warmachine/Hordes
Khador: 155 points, 8 casters

Warhammer 40k
Dark Angels: About 4,000 points** *Indefinite Hiatus*
Crimson Fists: Will start...eventually...

**Needs re-worked points estimate

destaris
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by destaris » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:55 pm

Zweedish9 wrote: Minions aren't actually a faction.

Cyriss are. Hence it will be more similar to how they did Ret than to minions.
Kinda irrelevant considering mercenary getting colossals
Lifetime Gold Member going as Nakourou