It is currently Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:19 pm 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:30 am
Posts: 20
Hey I know at the moment chaos marines arnt a competitive army, but I would love to make a really good 1850 list. If u have time please post thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:48 pm 
Offline
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 am
Posts: 7974
Location: Wollongong, Australia
Chaos Sorcerer - MoS, Lash of Submission - 125pts.
Chaos Sorcerer - MoS, Lash of Submission - 125pts.

3 Terminators - 3 Combi-Meltas - 105pts.

7 Plague Marines - 2 Plasma Guns, Personal Icon, Champion w/ Powerfist - 236pts.
- Rhino
7 Plague Marines - 2 Plasma Guns, Personal Icon, Champion w/ Powerfist - 236pts.
- Rhino
7 Plague Marines - 2 Plasma Guns, Personal Icon, Champion w/ Powerfist - 236pts.
- Rhino

3 Obliterators
3 Obliterators
3 Obliterators

TOTAL - 1843pts.

There you go. There are some minor changes you could make (like dropping the Personal Icons and taking a Chainfist on the Terminators), but that's what I'd run.

_________________
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:38 pm 
Offline
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:58 pm
Posts: 1899
Location: melbourne australia
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Zero nailed it
.... :mrgreen:

_________________
Khani is more OT family then Shas! There I said it! -IGfanatic

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:55 am 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:57 pm
Posts: 26
Isn't just 3 troop choices too few on capture and control and bases (not to mention NOVA)?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:04 am 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 4429
Location: Toronto, Ontario
They're Space Marines... no, better, they're Chaos Space Marines.
They may not be numerous, but they're also not going down easy - particularly not the Plague Marines.

When the time comes, if you don't still have troops to grap those objectives left on the table, you're pretty much tabled anyways or they have decided to ignore your Obliterators and Termicide, and they are.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:13 am 
Offline
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 am
Posts: 7974
Location: Wollongong, Australia
InfinityX wrote:
Isn't just 3 troop choices too few on capture and control and bases (not to mention NOVA)?

Do you actually play this army? Plague Marines are insanely hard to take down. The only way to drop them properly is with the same kind of fire it would take to kill those Obliterators, and any opponent ignoring the Obliterators is a dead opponent.

_________________
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:22 pm 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:57 pm
Posts: 26
Zero wrote:
InfinityX wrote:
Isn't just 3 troop choices too few on capture and control and bases (not to mention NOVA)?

Do you actually play this army? Plague Marines are insanely hard to take down. The only way to drop them properly is with the same kind of fire it would take to kill those Obliterators, and any opponent ignoring the Obliterators is a dead opponent.

My point is why those 3 troop choices are bette than say 4 five man plague squads qith dual plasma in rhinos? That gives you more plasma shots and one more squad that can score.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:42 pm 
Offline
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:01 am
Posts: 1553
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Add 1 more Marine to each of the 3 units to be just shy of 1850pts instead of a odd number lol like 1753pts :D

_________________
Dont try to paint 4 armies at once.... not a good idea, check some of my work out
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=100434&p=863110#p863110


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:24 pm 
Offline
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 am
Posts: 7974
Location: Wollongong, Australia
jmaddux wrote:
Add 1 more Marine to each of the 3 units to be just shy of 1850pts instead of a odd number lol like 1753pts :D

The current total is 1843 points :P

InfinityX wrote:
Zero wrote:
InfinityX wrote:
Isn't just 3 troop choices too few on capture and control and bases (not to mention NOVA)?

Do you actually play this army? Plague Marines are insanely hard to take down. The only way to drop them properly is with the same kind of fire it would take to kill those Obliterators, and any opponent ignoring the Obliterators is a dead opponent.

My point is why those 3 troop choices are bette than say 4 five man plague squads qith dual plasma in rhinos? That gives you more plasma shots and one more squad that can score.

Because doing that would mean you go over the point limit, you would lose a body and you would have to drop an Obliterator to get back under the points, and that Obliterator is more survivable and more useful than the Plague Marines.

If this were Eldar or some other non-Marine army, I'd agree that more troops might be wanted, but as is, 3 is plenty.

_________________
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:40 pm 
Offline
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:01 am
Posts: 1553
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Zero wrote:
jmaddux wrote:
Add 1 more Marine to each of the 3 units to be just shy of 1850pts instead of a odd number lol like 1753pts :D

The current total is 1843 points :P

Then something is wrong with my army builder that I just got not to long ago :'( m Nids is 100% right but I guess chaos isnt?

I will have to look more into this!

_________________
Dont try to paint 4 armies at once.... not a good idea, check some of my work out
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=100434&p=863110#p863110


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:43 am 
Offline
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:16 pm
Posts: 3269
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #9Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
I do tend to prefer more troops, going for the 5-man squads. I'd rather have more troops than the Terminators even, just for the extra scoring flexibility. The best the Terminators can do is soak up a round of fire, and at the end, if you need to contest 5 objectives and you can hold a max of 3... Well, all your opponent really has to do is take out one of those Plague Marine squads and you're at a severe disadvantage.

It's really a toss-up. The trouble I have is how much of a one-hit-wonder those Terminators are going to be. They'll shoot once and then die to a fast assault. In some instances, the consolidation your opponent gets off of finishing the Terminators off will nullify the effort to close with those Terminators.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:59 am 
Offline
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 am
Posts: 7974
Location: Wollongong, Australia
jmaddux wrote:
Zero wrote:
jmaddux wrote:
Add 1 more Marine to each of the 3 units to be just shy of 1850pts instead of a odd number lol like 1753pts :D

The current total is 1843 points :P

Then something is wrong with my army builder that I just got not to long ago :'( m Nids is 100% right but I guess chaos isnt?

I will have to look more into this!

I just did the maths again and mine is still correct...

Did you add in the Rhinos? Maybe the Champions?

DrBored wrote:
I do tend to prefer more troops, going for the 5-man squads. I'd rather have more troops than the Terminators even, just for the extra scoring flexibility. The best the Terminators can do is soak up a round of fire, and at the end, if you need to contest 5 objectives and you can hold a max of 3... Well, all your opponent really has to do is take out one of those Plague Marine squads and you're at a severe disadvantage.

It's really a toss-up. The trouble I have is how much of a one-hit-wonder those Terminators are going to be. They'll shoot once and then die to a fast assault. In some instances, the consolidation your opponent gets off of finishing the Terminators off will nullify the effort to close with those Terminators.

I find that the Terminators are very much worth it. They drop in, pop a Predator, Land Raider or whatever, and die. A turn spent firing at them is a turn not spent killing your Plague Marines.

You could drop them to get more troops if you wanted, but I'm saying that taking 4 troops is not quite as necessary as it is with other armies and you can do perfectly well without it. In tournaments, most players are playing to wipe out their opponents anyway, and in most cases, you either do that or it happens to you, and having the Terminators is going to help you achieve that.

_________________
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:25 pm 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 4429
Location: Toronto, Ontario
More troops is all well and good, but when it comes down to it, if you can't kill your enemy, they are going to kill you, which means that, in many ways, those Obliterators and Terminators actually give you better odds of having more Marines on the table at the end of the game, with which to both take and contest objectives.

Seven is a very strong number for Plague Marines, as they are tough enough to take the hits, while still being quite afordable. The few extra plasma shots you can get with the five man squads really isn't worth their decreased ability to absorb damage in my experience.


Last edited by Chief on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:54 pm 
Offline
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 1950
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Chief wrote:
More troops is all well and good, but when it comes down to it, if you can't kill your enemy, they are going to kill you, which means that, in many ways, those Obliterators and Terminators actually give you better odds of having more Marines on the table at the end of the game, with which to both take and contest objectives.

That was my same outlook back when I played regularly. And it got to that point through my game play experience, the more I could do with fewer troops, the more success I usually had. I wanted to max out my heavy support choices, and shove in the old Warptime-Princes. That's back when I thought they were awesome.

And then I'd squeeze in whatever elites I could spare points for. I guess in theory I should have had a hard time scoring, but in actual table top play my units were almost always still around and at worst I was pushing for a tie; at best I was winning.

_________________
Space Marines excel at warfare because they were designed to excel at everything.

-Primarch Roboute Guilliman


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: regain and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group