It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:05 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Location: Dining in the void of immaterial with Charlie Chaplin.
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
I found out quite harshly today what the difference is between something in theory and actually doing it in practice. I spent some time on the forums building a semi- ok daemon list. I was quite proud. Then i faced an ork with massive amounts of dakka. I placed my units horribly, and despite all of the skill and power of the daemons i was decimated.

The reason for my lack of development is such

Vassal.

A good thing about the high pricing of all the models is this. It takes a large amount of time between purchases. This timing allows you to learn how to use your models, to make them your own and to truly integrated them into your army. It will take me far longer to learn how to play Daemons using Vassal. Simply because if i am given an army of 1500 points right off the bat without earning them or taking the time to use them correctly, then i will never be able to use that unit as efficiently.

Vassal 40k is truly an amazing program but i fear i will not progress until i am able to play real games with smaller scale armies and work my way up in points. That way i can actually learn the army and the units. Not just blindly field whatever seems good in theory.

Now all i need is money....-.- frick.

Chaos Space Marines-500 Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:31 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I think anyone can tell you that proper game testing is better than any digital test. You have to be able to see the board, have a human player versing you and have truly random dice rolls and possibilities, no matter what you say a computer program does not have all the events that can happen in a game by far.

My suggestion is start with the basics and work your way up, if you are tight on cash then start off with 2 troop choices and an HQ then work your way up from there.

Although don't buy units that are silly to start with, my suggestion is always 2 units of bloodletters or one of these and a unit of plaguebearers for objectives and a daemon prince (I usually skip the Heralds, not everyone does this but I think they're worth the skip), with this you can get going, build some bloodcrushers or seekers into the mix next, then some horrors or screamers, then a second HQ, either a bloodthirster or an other daemon prince, then some extra troops and then you can truly expand from here, maybe try out a soul grinder, fateweaver, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:34 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Location: Dining in the void of immaterial with Charlie Chaplin.
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
I agree completely. Thanks for the input. I plan to start with 1 skull taker, 2 bloodletter squads of 10, and a daemon prince.

Chaos Space Marines-500 Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:35 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Sounds jolly good sir! :D