It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SoB Options Question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:17 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Hey all,

I'm new to both 40k and Sister of Battle but I've decided the Sisters are the Army I want to collect and field first and am determined despite the difficulty.

I have a few questions however I was hoping that a few people could advise me on. I'm rather confused on how some of the options work. Almost all the weapon options say "One X may replace her bolt gun wit one of the following". Yet the point cost say's "per model".

Does that mean if I have options for Meltagun, Heavy Bolter and heavy flamer that I can swap three sister's weapons out for one of each, or can I only swap the weapons on a single sister unit?

Is swapping the weapons on one or two units really going to make a big difference for a squad of ten or more?

I guess I'm trying to get my brain into the proper mindset for Warhammer 40k Army building as I put together my first list and would appreciate some advice from those with more experience who get how this sort of limited customization really impacts a list and its value to an army.

Post subject: Re: SoB Options Question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:36 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

No, they mean one sister can have any of those weapons, but only one sister and only one of those weapons.

The wording is made flexible for units that can have variable size. the BSS can only take one special and one heavy, but the Dom's can take so many specials for every 5. Rets can take so many heavies as they want.
True, they could have custom fit the wording to each individual unit, but for the sake of standardization, they have it the way they do.

Special weapons are a pretty huge deal. It makes them more effective against certain target types depending on the weapon, making the unit more of a threat to the enemy and more capable of doing something. You should usually try to focus your units, and take weapons that have similar ranges, weights and targets as not to waste points on weapons you'll only be getting half the effectiveness out of.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:02 am 

Thanks for clearing that up.

Corpsey wrote:
Special weapons are a pretty huge deal. It makes them more effective against certain target types depending on the weapon, making the unit more of a threat to the enemy and more capable of doing something. You should usually try to focus your units, and take weapons that have similar ranges, weights and targets as not to waste points on weapons you'll only be getting half the effectiveness out of.

By that do you mean try to sync up with the standard bolter that the other 8 sisters are going to have or do you mean if I take heavy bolter as my option with its 36 inch range I should try to take heavy bolters on my other squads?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:34 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

No, mostly just sync up the special weapons. melta with melta, flamers with flamers, etc. Focus each individual unit with a task, and thereby getting maximum efficiency out of their points as long as you can properly employ them on the field.

You can vary each unit's focus until you feel like you have enough variety to properly deal with most threats.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:22 pm 

Okay, thanks! I'm sure experience will be the best teacher, but I appreciate the crash course. If you have any other general suggestions for approaching options please share them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:13 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Yes experience is the best teacher and corpsey pretty much covered everything I was gonna say so good luck.

Necrons 1850 Tau 900
Dark Angels 1100 Guard 505