It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Space Wolves gear?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:21 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

So, thanks a dear friend, I have a Space Wolves pack of grey hunters, though they are not all assembled yet (I'll be posting pics soon). Now, when I get my battleforce, I'll have 30 Grey Hunters, my scouts, and my HQ that I have right now.

My question is, what do you recommend outfitting my Grey Hunters with? I'm running bolters and chainswords, along with some plasma rifles right now.

Opinions welcome here. And no, I don't plan on using Blood Claws for people that ask.

Post subject: Re: Space Wolves gear?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:26 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Grey Hunters come with Bolters, Bolt Pistols and Chainswords so it doesn't matter how you equip the regular marines.
But for Grey Hunters I find the best units are units of 9, with a Melta gun, in a Rhino with a Wolf Guard with Power Fist and Combi-Melta.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:11 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges
I'm a fan of running a 10 man squad in a rhino, and giving them 2 melta guns, a power fist and a wolf standard.

And as said above, grey hunters have bolt pistols, chainswords and bolters, so you can model some with the BP/CS and some with bolters, or some with bolters/CS. They give you a lot of freedom when it comes to modeling.

Welcome to the Wolves :twisted:

Woulfgar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:12 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

What I plan on doing, since i'll only have this pack and the battleforce, is running grey hunters with bolter/chainsword combo and regular bolters, and than putting a plasma rifle in there. Scouts would be my tank hunters. Plus, I'm looking for strategies to fight against orks and eldar. Again, I have my Rune Priest, 10 GH pack (or guard/bc but I run GH) and a battleforce.

Btw, have one done, I'll post a pic soon of it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:23 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges
To be honest I'm not a fan of plasma on infantry models, I am however a huge fan of melta.

As for tactics: Get the assault with them as often as you can, I know that they have Counter Attack, but I see that as more of a defense against getting assaulted, in the eventuality that you do get assaulted. You still want to get the assault to prevent the enemy from getting their extra attacks, and you want to make you get the extra attack, Counter Attack isn't a for sure thing, you do have to take a LD test on a LD of 8.

Can't wait to see your first GH mini :D

Woulfgar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:11 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Thanks Woulfgar!

Yeah, I'm still juggling plasma rifles and multi-meltas. Care to explain? I haven't really used either.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:25 pm 

Plasma has a longer range, but a lower strength, lower AP, and isn't as good at killing tanks. Also it is a Rapid Fire weapon, not an assault weapon, and there is a chance of killing yourself. Oh and they are more expensive than a Melta Gun.

Melta guns are cheaper, have a better strength, a better AP, you don't have the chance of killing your self, you can assault after shooting them, they are better at killing tanks. Their only down side is that they have a shorter range, but when you think about it. You can fire one plasma shot at 24", or move and fire a melta shot, so melta has an 18" range.

Imo Melta is better than Plasma.

Woulfgar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:10 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Sounds good to me than lol. I used a melta today, worked nice on deffkoptas.

Rhinos too were a first today. Didn't like them at first...but I'm definitely warming up to them after my second game with them went well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:25 pm 

Don't forget that Rhinos have fire points on them, so you can move the Rhino 6" and shoot the meltas out of the back hatch.

Woulfgar