It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Loota Mob Decision
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:20 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

I run mostly a shooty list and for my next game I want to try more Lootas in some upcoming 1500 pt games. In the past I've used a unit of 8-10 Lootas quite effectively at 1000 to 1500. But now I have 14 available to field but I don't know if I should go with a single large squad or 2 smaller squads. I would appreciate opinions on either choice.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Loota Mob Decision
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:37 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

There is a plus and a negative to both I find, with two smaller 7 man squads if you lose 2 there is a good chance your going to fail leadership and flee, probably off the board. But if you roll a 1 or 2 with one squad you have the chance to roll a 5 or 6 with the other squad.
With two 7 man squads if you roll a 1 and a 6 then you have 7*1=7, 7*3=21, 7+21=28 shots, if you have a large 14 man squad you will either get 14/28/42 shots.
Another bonus of two smaller squads is you can split your fire between two targets so potentially pop two transports instead of sinking 42 shots into one transport.

I personally like 1 larger squad, but that is just me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:20 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

^ Whereas i'd go with two smaller as the split fire is especially helpful in the earlier rounds, but it all depends on who your versing as well, but for balanced all comers lists i'd go two smaller squads :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:44 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Having two smaller squads also adds a much larger field of fire, that if your opponent doesn't consider well, can get him into a lot of trouble. Some of the fragility of two smaller squads automatically gets overcome by the Lootas range and being split out from each other.

That being said, a larger group of lootas is going to attract some attention. You can use that to your advantage as well.