It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:14 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Location: Dining in the void of immaterial with Charlie Chaplin.
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Dhomochevsky wrote:
I see. Well, it's also because I'm a fan of battleforces in general and twenty orks more is always a plus. You also get bikes (even if you don't want to use them, they are still here and could be useful when you want to try something else) and a trukk (same).

But hey, it's your money. I'm in no position to tell you what to do.

No problem, i appreciate the input.

Blood Angels-1700 points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:36 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
So building an ork army, the list goes as followed with your set so far:
1. buy the codex ( see what units interest you)
2. get some boyz ( aobr set if you want to go as cheap as possible)
3. get some more boyz ( bit repetitive but boyz are THE core of ay army) looking for a min of 30 for speed freaks ( with trukks) and a min of 60 for hordes ( for speed freaks battleforce is a great option.
4. want a nob kit (power klaw and bosspole for the boyz) this way you can keep dem in da fight longa
5. this is where you add units of your choice like lootas, stormboyz, looted wagons, burnas, kans etc.
6. and finally as dave said in ask a wargamer- the cheapest units are the ones you like more ( ex. cheaper if you like stormboyz and get stormboyz. more expensive if you get kans if you like dreads) this step takes precedence over all other steps

hope it helped

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:43 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

DaOrkyBitz wrote:
Hello there fellow Orks. It seems its time to expand my army, and i am not quite sure where to go! There are so many units and so many possibilities, I'm not quite sure what i should do. My first purchase would be the Assault on black reach set. Which I felt was a good start. My current army consists of.

Deff Copta's X3

Slugga BoyzX20

NobsX5

WarbossX1

I realize this isn't much. But its what i have at the moment. If you guys could be so nice as to point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

I suggest getting the codex, if you havent already, and the battleforce. This will give you 20 more boyz, filling out your troop choice requirements. You'll also get three warbikes and a truck. If you can afford it, I would get two battleforces and you should be set.

Proxy other units to see what works for you

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:00 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

I'd say

a trukk, a battlewagon or a deffdread.
get some heavy support in there ;)

Chaos may corrupt men's souls but I am Steel! I am Doom!
I march from
Macragge and I know no fear!
For the Emperor!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:19 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Repeating what the majority have said:

You cannot go wrong with Ork boys. In a standard horde list you can have anywhere from 100-180 boys really. Then in the speed freak armies you can use as little as 40 ish (if you tend to go the BW spam route).

It really depends on what kind of army you want to build to be honest. If you are going for a green tide, horde list, then obviously boys would be a good bet and the nobz box may not be as good. As you're buying more orks, obviously you would want to play a solid list as you progress, so some extra HQ choices such as a Big Mek (with KFF) may be what you're after.

If you want to build speed freaks then again, more boys. After that however you could get the battle force (buying the boys and trukk seperately will cost you pretty much the same as the battleforce, except you get bikes!). Feel free to PM me if you would want to talk about it in further detail!!

-xStuuy

23% painted!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:24 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Thanks so much. But i am currently in between Codex. I'm reading them all, trying to decide on an army. I'm caught between these routes

Whats easy.
Whats affordable.
What i know.
What i want.

God its hard to pick an army -.- i have the AOBR set. So it would be easiest to go Ork or space marine but i just CANT decide. Daemons, Black Templar, Orks. Are up there are on my list.

Blood Angels-1700 points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:01 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
A word of advice about Daemons, do not start them as your first army. They are an extremelly difficult army to play and rely more on randomness than any kind of sound tactical decisions on your part.

A lot of people start them and decided that a pure Khorne army sounds great but that just makes things even worse.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:37 am 

I've been told that by alot of people, trust me i am not rushing this decision. I have already taken into account the difficulty of play with Daemons. If they were easier to play and perhaps had a starter package that didn't suck. I would have them already. I am considering Black Templar above all other things. Obviously i would learn Vanilla Marines which is no problem. Just takes some time, then i would have to learn the new Black Templar codex..

I have been studying this hobby for about a year, learning everything i possibly can. Unit comp

Lore.
Painting
Pricing
What to expect.
How to handle situations
RULES(definitely the toughest..right beside painting)

Just trying to grasp Warhammer 40k and its world. I'm always learning and I'm getting very far. I feel like I'll be able to start playing soon, but i have to first pick an army... Orks seem, interesting and comical in a dark sense, which i like. But i don't feel like they would ever match my play style. I'm not much of a person for horde armies anyways, and Madcat87 you've been a great help and you've answered every problem I've run into, thank you for that.

Blood Angels-1700 points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:51 pm 

Location: having lunch in the Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Quote:
I'm not much of a person for horde armies anyways, and Madcat87 you've been a great help and you've answered every problem I've run into, thank you for that.

well you don't have to play Hordes with an Ork army, you could go Mech instead, although you still have a large number of models it's a bit more manageable. in my army i have 60 boyz, 24 nobz, Big Mek, Warboss, and Meganobz, along with small groups of Lootas, and Burnas. all of those get run in Trukks, which limits mob size to 12, Looted Wagons, also limit of 12 models, and Battlewagons, limit of 20 models.

most games allow me enough pts to run 4 trukks and a battlewagon, or a variation thereof, and i have three battlewagons, 5 trukks, 1 looted wagon. the nice thing about Orks is also something else you stated, and that is cost. you don't need to purchase anything for Orks except for the infantry models, and those you can get from the AOBR sets at really cheap prices. a box of Fantasy Black Orks and a little conversion will give you either Ard Boyz squad or Meganobz, and a template i have will allow you to actually build your own Meganobz. from there you can do as i have done and kitbash your trukks, or just build trukks straight from scratch, which i have also done. btw, you can also convert the deffkoptas from AOBR into warbikes if your so inclined. in the end, Orks will come out cheaper than any other army you look at simply due to the fact that you can build your own stuff for them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:34 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

you have a template for building meganobs? that sounds like it could be a fun project! were did you find it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:32 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Quote:
you have a template for building meganobs? that sounds like it could be a fun project! were did you find it?

got it off a yahoo group i think, don't really remember for sure since i've had it for quite a while now. it's a one page template and it tells you the materials you need and the sizes for tubing. the guy also used copper wire for the skeleton inside the suit and then i think he used regular plastic arms and heads to finish. Don't know for sure though as i never saw a finished picture, just a pic of the suit itself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:03 pm 

I suppose, i like Orks, and i think the idea of building something would be more affordable. But to be honest, I'm just not a huge fan of the units. They aren't a good match for my play style. They don't fit my gaming personality, so i don't have as much fun when i field them.

I'm still looking at Daemons more than anything, i realize how hard they are to play. But they are still number one on my list. The units are all great, i like their rules and strategies. Everything about them is just so cool to me, but with how difficult they are to play it makes me question if i actually want to use them.

But I've never backed down from a task just because its difficult. If that was true i wouldn't be here discussing warhammer.

Blood Angels-1700 points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:26 pm 

Quote:
I'm still looking at Daemons more than anything, i realize how hard they are to play. But they are still number one on my list. The units are all great, i like their rules and strategies. Everything about them is just so cool to me, but with how difficult they are to play it makes me question if i actually want to use them.

sounds to me like you have answered the question you posted in the beginning, have fun with your new Daemon army. there is one small thing i can add, and that is that you can also use Green Stuff, to model up your own daemons and daemon princes if you so desire, there by maybe saving you some money.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:29 pm 

sebastionsynn wrote:
Quote:

sounds to me like you have answered the question you posted in the beginning, have fun with your new Daemon army. there is one small thing i can add, and that is that you can also use Green Stuff, to model up your own daemons and daemon princes if you so desire, there by maybe saving you some money.

i can BARELY paint. Like i am fairly bad at it, i don't have washes or anything. I am really bad at this hobbying stuff, so MAKING my own stuff? Practically out of the question.

Blood Angels-1700 points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:24 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

you can make your own washes, just use rubbing alchole or even just water, if your bad at painting it might just be a matter of finding the right base colour, applying a dark wash in said base colour to get the outline, dry brush the highlights and just put a basic coat over the things that are diffrent colour. anyway the more you paint the better you get, figureing out a method that works for you and sticking to it is a good idea.

personally painting my mini's is my favorite thing about the game, i like painting the mini's even more then playing the game even.