It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:39 pm 
Now we're getting somewhere...

i prime my orks in white, but i got blue skinned orks that definatly have the ''cartoony'' feel, especially with purples, pinks, and healthy splashes of bone used for their orkish garb ( tunics, fur lined helms,gloves bracers etc.), the white definatly makes those colours sizzle, and the blue skin gets smiles and laughs at my local GW (london,ON.), which plays nicely with the orks being pure jokes aswell.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:26 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

I use army p[ainter green to do a first coat and it saves me from having to paint the skin later. I just wash and the skin is done, all I have to paint is the clothes and weapons really. Most of those little nooks and crannies on orks are skin exposed areas anyways :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:14 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

So I've heard of other skintones being applied to orks -- anybody considered this from a biological standpoint? Algae comes in different colors http://www.lenntech.com/eutrophication-water-bodies/algae.htm and I had a plan for doing one of these like the green wash method, except you'd use a different color wash depending on your base coat (why not use the foundations?). So basically, prime black, then white or a foundation color over the exposed skin. Wash repeatedly with your chosen color of algae until you get the desired effect, then you could easily finish up the rest of the model, no?

"Love and war. What else is there? Love is the more dangerous of the two. I wear the other face." Red Branch, Morgan Llewelyn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:35 am 

nappen wrote:
Serenet wrote:
Joe wrote:
The reason why I prime models black first is because I'm lazy... pure and simple. Black (while good for the reasons stated by others) lends itself well to my particular brand of indifference.

The thing is, there are a lot of nooks and crannies in models, Orks especially, and I really can't be bothered to force a brush in there... Now if I primed the model white and didn't get in the deeper recesses, the bare white parts would easily show up in videos or pictures. With a Dark Primer, I don't necessarily need to get those recesses as they will simply be left black, which works well with the natural shadows of the model.

So really, priming black is just my way of working around my laziness.

Although, this doesn't mean I have any more models painted...

Hahaha this is the reason for me too. I tried white on 2 models once and it was a pain in the arse to reach some little white dots that the model denied my brush to reach, so i said "screw it, I wont primer white ever again, I have a bizzilion models to paint"

I am on board here! Why work harder, work smarter.

This is pretty much my reasoning as well. Skellies I prime white and my Kanz I primed in the platemail army painter primer then hit it with a black wash before painting the rest,

Fantasy
High Elves - 15 model completed
Skaven - 1 models completed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:51 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Location: Dining in the void of immaterial with Charlie Chaplin.
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
I paint my models in black because filth exists in the 40k universe. Orks don't bathe. Ever. So i would expect they do a lot of rolling around in dirt blood guts and other kinds of goo like oil. Or whatever they might happen to stomp through. So why would they be bright and clean looking? Their clothing would have barely any color and would look very dark and ratty. Especially their skin. I usually try to smear some sort of black or brownish onto it, and the weapons. Red of course. Anything spiky or sharp needs some degree of red.

Blood Angels-1700 points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:54 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

It is because orks need to have a darker look. Black primer makes them more ........................ orky. :twisted: