Annihilation barge(is it worth it)

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
mmdehart
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Annihilation barge(is it worth it)

Postby mmdehart » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:08 am

I'm thinking about getting one(maybe to use as a command barge) what are the tactics for both or are they even worth the time

Gangrel767
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Annihilation barge(is it worth it)

Postby Gangrel767 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:21 pm

Yes. I field 3 in a lot of my <1750 lists. Amazing amount of firepower for the points.

Now, this comes with a disclaimer... 6th drops tomorrow... so it's hard to give sound tactical advise and such without knowing all the changes.

Also, it depends greatly on your entire list. We have some great Heavy choices, so make sure they correspond and synergize with your list.
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity. " - Maximus Meridius

-Veterans of the Long War Podcast
https://www.facebook.com/VeteransOfTheLongWar

-The Sector
Visit our Blog http://40k4life.blogspot.com

mmdehart
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Postby mmdehart » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:32 pm

Oh Im considering starting necrons lol so I was gonna get it to get a cheap lord and still have the vehicle lol

BlaineThPain
Gold Vault Member

Postby BlaineThPain » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:24 pm

It's definitely a wise investment.

The barge is useful at small points values (if you're just starting out), and gives you alot of options (good in different situations).

V3nd3tta
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Postby V3nd3tta » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:11 am

And yup, its still really good in 6th. Definitely get one, they very rarely disappoint. I've always had them kill more than their point value (except the time that mine came face to face with a deep-striking brood of Zoanthropes, but we won't get into that...).

Get one. Later on, get another, and maybe even another after that. They're the best Heavy Support choice in the army.
40k:
Necrons ~7500 Points
(Dark Angels Successor Chapter) ~800 Points

Warmachine:
Cygnar ~70 points

xStuuy
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Postby xStuuy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:37 pm

I would actually disagree now with the flyer rules and the Doom Scythe now taking top spot for being the best heavy support choice.

Second best would still have to go to the Annihilation Barge.
Orks - 3000 Points
Necrons - 2200 Points
Painted: Ghost Ark, Night Scythe, Night Scythe, Night Scythe, 2 Wraiths - 505 points
23% painted!

BlaineThPain
Gold Vault Member

Postby BlaineThPain » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:04 pm

xStuuy wrote:I would actually disagree now with the flyer rules and the Doom Scythe now taking top spot for being the best heavy support choice.

Second best would still have to go to the Annihilation Barge.

(edit: Oops, nevermind, I read this as Doomsday Ark rather than Doom Scythe) Just curious.. can you clarify how the Doomsday Ark got better from your perspective?

From what I can see, the Barges got quite a bump in 6th since now they're getting a re-roll on any Snap Fire shots with the TL Destructor. At strength 7, it's also more likely than not to at least glance most flyers since they're usually only AV10 or 11 (the Storm Raven would be an exception to this).
Last edited by BlaineThPain on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Todda
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Postby Todda » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:38 pm

You can come in from reserves, zoom 36" across the field, drop a marker within 12" then roll 3D6 and extend a line 1mm wide that many inches. Any model touch takes a S10 AP1 hit... yes you do not need a to hit roll to place that marker, so it is an auto hit to anything you place that marker on and it will continue at least 3", but average 10-11" with a max of 18". You can wipe out a whole line of tanks or Terminators.
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

xStuuy
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Postby xStuuy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:58 am

The Death Ray is indeed insane, at the moment I'm torn between 1 Annihilation Barge / 2 Doom Scythes or 2 Annihilation Barges and 1 Doom Scythe. I think flier spamming necron lists will not do too well due to the mobility issues of the zooming flyers and so I tend to include 3 (Perhaps 4) fliers with a couple troops in ghost arks
Orks - 3000 Points
Necrons - 2200 Points
Painted: Ghost Ark, Night Scythe, Night Scythe, Night Scythe, 2 Wraiths - 505 points
23% painted!

Todda

Postby Todda » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:22 am

Personally I like the Annihilation Barges. People are more likely to ignore them until they rip a hole in their army. I usually take 2 mixed in with some Tomb Blades.
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

laser14344
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Postby laser14344 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:15 am

how are the tomb blades? I usualy bring wraiths from fast attack but turned to destroyers in sixth ed (preferred enemy works for shooting now, re-role all results of 1 to hit and wound) and ap 3 tears through space marine armies which is the most common army to find.

Todda

Postby Todda » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:49 pm

They did little damage, but I only have 2 units of 3. I ran each with an Annihilation Barge. Overall it worked good, but I think I need to witch to Gauss weapons and take units of 5.

Return to “Xenos Races”