It is currently Thu May 28, 2015 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:17 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

I'm trying to put together a Black Templar list from the remnants of my Son's vanilla marine army and some new stuff. The Emperor's Champion is standing, unpainted but defiant, on my exeternal hard drive exhorting me to get on with it. I need some advice.

I have two drop pods, two bolter tac squads with melta and PF, five lightning claw termies and a land raider crusader, and the space marines from the Black Reach kit. Not sure I want to use any of that Black Reach stuff because, well, it just doesn't look like the rest of the models. Looks cheaper.

I've been through a dozen iterations of this. It's starting to drive me a bit nuts.

Here are my priorities:

I want to build an army that I can field at either 1500 or 2000 point in a "take all comers", list. Something that will work against Imp Guard tank spam OR Tyranid hoards just as well. Or close to as well.

I don't really want a gunline army. I play Tau also. I'm a bit bored with the gun line game. Want to just run up and kill things for a change.

I want a rock hard list that won't get alpha struck right off the table if I don't get turn 1.

Here's what I have so far:

Templar Base 2000 Point List

HQ: Marshal
1 Marshal, ((C:BT, pg. 31); Unit Type: Infantry; Crusader Seals; Terminator Honors; Frag Grenades; Power Weapon x1; Storm Shield x1; Accept Any Challenge...; Rites of Battle)

HQ: Emperor's Champion
1 Emperor's Champion, ((C:BT, pg. 31); Unit Type: Infantry; Crusader Seals; Frag Grenades; Bolt Pistol; The Black Sword; Accept Any Challenge...; Independent Character; Slayer of Champions)

Troops: Crusader Squad
1 Crusader Squad, ((C:BT, pg. 37); Unit Type: Infantry; Squad with Frag Grenades; Accept Any Challenge...)
7 Initiate with Bolt Pistol and CCW (Frag Grenades; Bolt Pistol; Close Combat Weapon; Accept Any Challenge...)
1 Initiate with Flamer (Frag Grenades; Flamer; Accept Any Challenge...)
1 Initiate with Bolt Pistol & Power Fist (Frag Grenades; Bolt Pistol; Power Fist; Accept Any Challenge...)
1 Rhino (Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Transport Capacity: 10 models; Access Points: 3; Fire Points: 1; Extra Armor; Smoke Launchers; Storm Bolter; Accept Any Challenge...; Repair)

Troops: Crusader Squad
1 Crusader Squad, ((C:BT, pg. 37); Unit Type: Infantry; Squad with Frag Grenades; Accept Any Challenge...)
7 Initiate with Bolt Pistol and CCW (Frag Grenades; Bolt Pistol; Close Combat Weapon; Accept Any Challenge...)
1 Initiate with Flamer (Frag Grenades; Flamer; Accept Any Challenge...)
1 Initiate with Bolt Pistol & Power Fist (Frag Grenades; Bolt Pistol; Power Fist; Accept Any Challenge...)
1 Rhino (Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Transport Capacity: 10 models; Access Points: 3; Fire Points: 1; Extra Armor; Smoke Launchers; Storm Bolter; Accept Any Challenge...; Repair)

Elite: Sword Brethren Terminator Assault Squad
1 Sword Brethren Terminator Assault Squad, ((C:BT, pg. 34); Unit Type: Infantry; Accept Any Challenge...; Furious Charge; Teleport)
5 Terminator with Lightning Claws (Terminator Armour; Lightning Claws (pair); Accept Any Challenge...; Furious Charge)
1 Land Raider Crusader ((C:BT, pg. 42); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Transport Capacity: 15 models; Access Points: 3; Extra Armor; Frag Assault Launchers; Multi-melta; Smoke Launchers; Twin-Linked Assault Cannon; 2x Hurricane Bolters; Accept Any Challenge...; Assault Vehicle; Power of the Machine Spirit)

Elite: Sword Brethren Terminator Squad
1 Sword Brethren Terminator Squad, ((C:BT, pg. 34); Unit Type: Infantry; Accept Any Challenge...; Tank Hunters; Teleport)
3 Terminator (Terminator Armour; Power Fist; Storm Bolter; Accept Any Challenge...; Tank Hunters)
1 Terminator with Cyclone Missile Launcher (Terminator Armour; Cyclone Missile Launcher; Storm Bolter; Chainfist; Accept Any Challenge...; Tank Hunters)
1 Terminator with Cyclone Missile Launcher (Terminator Armour; Cyclone Missile Launcher; Storm Bolter; Chainfist; Accept Any Challenge...; Tank Hunters)

Elite: Venerable Dreadnought
1 Venerable Dreadnought, ((C:BT, pg. 35); Unit Type: Vehicle (Walker); Smoke Launchers; Venerable; Skill: Tank Hunter; Twin-Linked Lascannon; Missile Launcher; Accept Any Challenge...)

Heavy Support: Vindicator
1 Vindicator, ((C:BT, pg. 41); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Extra Armor; Power of the Machine Spirit; Smoke Launchers; Demolisher Cannon; Storm Bolter; Accept Any Challenge...)

Heavy Support: Predator Annihilator
1 Predator Annihilator, ((C:BT, pg. 41); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Extra Armor; Smoke Launchers; Twin-Linked Lascannon; 2x Lascannons; Accept Any Challenge...)

As you can see, I'm not currently using the drop pods. Every time I put together a couple 5 man squads to go in them I run out of points.

I really like the CC oriented Initiates with flamers in Rhino's. Pop out. Flame and bolt pistol away. Charge! Can't do that with a drop pod. Have to stand there and get shot to pieces for a turn, or, worse yet, get assaulted loosing the charge bonus attacks. No way. Rhinos all the way.

Thought of smaller squads in Razorbacks, but they're expensive and - well, too small in number to really be assaulters.

I know - get rid of the death star to save some points. But I LOVE the death star. It's the coolest thing I have and I have it already. Don't have to buy it.

I've debated endlessly about land speeder Typhoons. They just seem way too easy to kill to me. Heck. A bolter can down one. No way they survive to Turn 3.

Anyway, chime in. I'm running out of ideas, and the Emperor's Champion is running out of patience with me!!