It is currently Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wolf Lord
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:50 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges
One of my friends has just started Space Wolves and has decided to make the Wolf Lord his HQ and really likes the Saga ofWarrior Born but iss not sure if it is worth the points cost. Anyone found it useful?

6th Edition tally
Orks: Win 11 Loss 1 Draw 0

Chaos Space Marines: Win 13 Loss 4 Draw 0

Post subject: Re: Wolf Lord
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:32 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

I would assume Saga of the bear is better, as if you are in cc you have a reasonable chance of being instant deathed before the next round of cc.

Rune priest with Jaws is probably the most broken choice for HQ.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:09 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

MFletch wrote:
I would assume Saga of the bear is better, as if you are in cc you have a reasonable chance of being instant deathed before the next round of cc.

how is the rune priest broken? its not an automatic hit ability.

Space Wolves 8000+ pts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:46 pm 

SonsofRuss wrote:
MFletch wrote:

how is the rune priest broken? its not an automatic hit ability.
Read the FAQ.
Actually the FAQ gives 5 questions on jaws. Each one is a reason why it breaks the rulebook and why you should take it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:48 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Jaws is incredibly overrated. It works wonders against the armies you should already have no trouble beating and doesn't really assist them against the main threats of the more competitive foes. Living Lightning, Storm Caller and Murderous Hurricane are all more useful powers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:11 pm 

Zeruel13 wrote:
Jaws is incredibly overrated. It works wonders against the armies you should already have no trouble beating and doesn't really assist them against the main threats of the more competitive foes. Living Lightning, Storm Caller and Murderous Hurricane are all more useful powers.
Name the army.
Grey Knights: Aegis does not work as it does not specifically target a unit.
1/6 chance of removing an expensive model including dread knights, 1/3 of other non vehicles including expensive paladins.
You are bound to hit multiple models, and they do not always bring a hood to cancel.

Necrons: low initiative? They low the midrange battle wolves usually go for.

True, it works best with 'nids and orks but that is a bonus.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:28 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Living Lightning - perfect for knocking out Rhinos, Razorbacks, Chimeras (particularly with side armour), and anything from the Dark Eldar codex; bonus, it works with Chooser of the Slain

Murderous Hurricane - hard counter to anything Dark Eldar or Blood Angels can put out, while also being great vs. Valkyries, Vendettas, and Storm Ravens (the two former often being the primary offensive element of an Imperial Guard army, and the latter being a lot more popular since the release of Grey Knights)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:49 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

MFletch wrote:
Name the army.
Grey Knights: Aegis does not work as it does not specifically target a unit.
1/6 chance of removing an expensive model including dread knights, 1/3 of other non vehicles including expensive paladins.
You are bound to hit multiple models, and they do not always bring a hood to cancel.

Necrons: low initiative? They low the midrange battle wolves usually go for.

True, it works best with 'nids and orks but that is a bonus.

If you feel comfortable with 1/6 and 1/3 odds then by all means go for it. For me there are powers that will be far more useful than that on a far more consistent basis such as what Chief detailed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:33 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Jaws suck against Nids... due to nids high Initiative.
I must say I am in the "Jaws is good, but highly over rated" camp.
Personally I don't run a rune priest all that often.

Sagas in my mind are very dependent on the opponent. Fighting Hords? well then Warrior Born is awesome. Fighting Gray Knights? Well then it's next to worthless...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:00 am 

TheAurgelmir wrote:
Jaws suck against Nids... due to nids high Initiative.
It is there to destroy tervigons which are possibly the hardest to kill objective camper, unless you are playing grey knights. Killing tervigons is hard for space wolves.
Also Hiveguard I2, zoanthrope I3, tyrannofex I1 so every single unit that threatens your armour is vulnerable. Killing these are also hard for space wolves.

Zeruel13 wrote:
If you feel comfortable with 1/6 and 1/3 odds then by all means go for it. For me there are powers that will be far more useful than that on a far more consistent basis such as what Chief detailed.
I feel you do not appreciate those numbers: they are excellent.
The other powers can be affected by Aegis, roll to hit, roll to wound/pen, roll for cover saves, maybe FNP, maybe with wound allocation not hitting the key models.

When I state 1/6 for taking Draigo, then 1/3 for any paladin you hit on the way. That is a nice haul of models destroyed. Or even 1/6 for removing a dreadknight clean off the board, how else can you remove it?

Going back to broken with the FAQ:
You can target individual models outside of cc, which the rules rely on that not happening.
You ignore inv. saves, again the rules are balanced so the inv. save protects expensive models.
Ignores cover, again using scenery to hide is meant to be a big part of the game.
You may not require LOS.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:44 am 
Silver Vault Member

to get back on topic, id always field my lord with saga of the bear, but the basic lord isnt the best HQ, when you mount him on a TW than he starts to get interesting, ill only use warrior born if i take 2 of these

And the only reason id take a runepriest with jaws is when a necron player takes mind shackle, ill be sniping all game long, if he doesn't use mind shackle than i wont be sniping.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:16 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

saga of the warrior born is good if your running into close combat with a lot of enemies (orks and nids for example) and is better with wargear that gives you more attacks and re-rolls (like a wolf claw etc.)

depending on the job his wolf lord is gonna do depends on waht should be taken.

bear is good for going against elite armies.

beast slayer is good if you want the wolf lord to go against the biggest guys your opponent has to offer.

and as i said before warrior born is good against horde armies.

personally i think the sagas are worth it, it adds another level of character to a game (i.e. gives the space wolf player a fun side mission to do in a game like killing 10 models)

"That is exactly the sort of foul slur on mighty Haegr's honour I would expect from a jealous toad like you, And one that will be richly rewarded with a beating later"