It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Hello from Ireland!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:28 am 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:59 am
Posts: 192
Hello gents, thought I'd finally get on these forums after lurking for about two years.

Miniwargaming got me back into the hobby along with Beasts of War, so yeah, looking forward to participating.

I also do alternate codexes, not sure if it's ok to post them up here, but I'd like to receive some feedback on them as well.

Cheers,
GreaterGoodIreland.

_________________
"The individual with the primitive flashlight has been sent to re-education."

Tau Alternate Codex, First Edition Released! 04/05/12
http://www.mediafire.com/?31y3e6b31uutrth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Ireland!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:45 am 
Offline
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 am
Posts: 7973
Location: Wollongong, Australia
Image

Welcome.

Posting your home-brew codexes is perfectly fine, provided it's something fairly major, not just the Space Marine codex with a few fixes (legal issues may arise if you're just posting all the rules and points of the GW codexes).

What army/armies do you play?

_________________
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Ireland!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:04 am 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:59 am
Posts: 192
I play Tau, have a Grey Knights army, but I haven't used it much because it's pants-on-head broken. So yeah, one of the least forgiving armies and one of the most forgiving armies.

The codex ideas I have in mind and on paper are fairly major...

The full draft for a new Tau codex I have at the moment outlines big changes to units, smaller changes to points values, and adds a human unit that isn't completely against Tau military doctrine. I like to see codexes that reflect the fluff to its utmost, and as such, I like to create alternates to that objective.

As for legal issues, I tend to put in "Refer to Codex: X" when I don't change anything in a section (like the vehicle equipment section of the Tau alternate I have, for instance). Tends to mean that one needs the original codex to use my material, if only for referring to weapons stats etc. While GW can complain about this, such complaints are a bit meh considering I'm strengthening the value of their IP rather than weakening it. Somewhat like the modding community for the Total War series, for instance.

Where would be the best place to put the alternate codexes? In their respective army forums or is there a better place?

_________________
"The individual with the primitive flashlight has been sent to re-education."

Tau Alternate Codex, First Edition Released! 04/05/12
http://www.mediafire.com/?31y3e6b31uutrth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Ireland!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:20 am 
Offline
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 am
Posts: 7973
Location: Wollongong, Australia
I kind of guessed you played Tau, but Grey Knights would've been a bit harder ;)

GreaterGoodIreland wrote:
I like to see codexes that reflect the fluff to its utmost

Have you read the Dark Eldar codex by any chance? It's pretty much the most perfect representation of fluff-to-game ever. The fluff is also the bee's knees.

GreaterGoodIreland wrote:
As for legal issues, I tend to put in "Refer to Codex: X" when I don't change anything in a section (like the vehicle equipment section of the Tau alternate I have, for instance). Tends to mean that one needs the original codex to use my material, if only for referring to weapons stats etc. While GW can complain about this, such complaints are a bit meh considering I'm strengthening the value of their IP rather than weakening it. Somewhat like the modding community for the Total War series, for instance.

That should all be fine (at least I don't see any issues with it).

GreaterGoodIreland wrote:
Where would be the best place to put the alternate codexes? In their respective army forums or is there a better place?

In the respective army section would probably be your best bet.

_________________
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Ireland!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:28 am 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:59 am
Posts: 192
Zero wrote:
Have you read the Dark Eldar codex by any chance? It's pretty much the most perfect representation of fluff-to-game ever. The fluff is also the bee's knees.


I have indeed, it's perfection that I thought GW were incapable of in the Matt Ward era. Every piece of cheese in that codex is absolutely justified by the backstory of the army itself, and the collective crunch makes a formidable but far from invincible army.

To be honest, the new DE codex and an alternate Chaos codex by a friend of mine were what got me thinking about fluffy codexes in the first place.

_________________
"The individual with the primitive flashlight has been sent to re-education."

Tau Alternate Codex, First Edition Released! 04/05/12
http://www.mediafire.com/?31y3e6b31uutrth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Ireland!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:36 am 
Offline
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 am
Posts: 7973
Location: Wollongong, Australia
GreaterGoodIreland wrote:
Zero wrote:
Have you read the Dark Eldar codex by any chance? It's pretty much the most perfect representation of fluff-to-game ever. The fluff is also the bee's knees.


I have indeed, it's perfection that I thought GW were incapable of in the Matt Ward era. Every piece of cheese in that codex is absolutely justified by the backstory of the army itself, and the collective crunch makes a formidable but far from invincible army.

To be honest, the new DE codex and an alternate Chaos codex by a friend of mine were what got me thinking about fluffy codexes in the first place.

I'm afraid I'm quite unfamiliar with any cheese in the Dark Eldar codex. The closest I can think of is Venom Spam, but, if I'm completely honest, I think it's quite pathetic and a good Dark Eldar player using a good list will beat down some Venom Spam "I liek 2 win" player any day.

Dark Eldar are quite solid though, if in the right hands that is. Inexperienced players would have an extremely difficult time grasping the subtle nuances of the army and the importance of movement as opposed to most other armies. Although they can break if you stare at them too hard, it just takes a little longer than shooting them and your opponent may become impatient ;)

_________________
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Ireland!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:40 am 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:59 am
Posts: 192
I meant cheese as in the highly-effective units/abilities, not as in Wardite elements. Vocabfail on my part, I suppose.

DE are a glass B-52, dropping carpets of close combat ridiculousness and Dark Lancery. Too bad the Tau basic weapon can shoot down their vehicles... :lol:

_________________
"The individual with the primitive flashlight has been sent to re-education."

Tau Alternate Codex, First Edition Released! 04/05/12
http://www.mediafire.com/?31y3e6b31uutrth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Ireland!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:38 pm 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Zealot
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:59 pm
Posts: 291
Location: On the battlefield killing with my awesome...
thats cause DE vehicles are wet papar bags with turbo jets on the back :lol:

anyways welcome to the forums, it's always fun to read a couple homebrew units
I'm excited for some of those

_________________
Skies the limit? You havn't met me then.


"Commodore you are a hero to the world" ~ IGfanatic
"You are now extremely awesome" ~ Tmb
"You, sir, indeed are awesome" ~ teclis


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Ireland!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:17 pm 
Offline
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 am
Posts: 7973
Location: Wollongong, Australia
GreaterGoodIreland wrote:
I meant cheese as in the highly-effective units/abilities, not as in Wardite elements. Vocabfail on my part, I suppose.

DE are a glass B-52, dropping carpets of close combat ridiculousness and Dark Lancery. Too bad the Tau basic weapon can shoot down their vehicles... :lol:

Makes sense. And yes, it is a bit of a shame, but when you consider that if they get a single turn of movement you're pretty much screwed anyway, it doesn't matter so much ;)

_________________
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Ireland!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:41 am 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:59 am
Posts: 192
Zero wrote:
Makes sense. And yes, it is a bit of a shame, but when you consider that if they get a single turn of movement you're pretty much screwed anyway, it doesn't matter so much ;)


Well, it's not exactly a big disadvantage if the DE are eager to get into rapid fire range of pulse and plasma weapons. God forbid I decide to turn railguns on the Raiders.

The problem is their coversave/flickerfield stuff, I suppose. They're cheeky ones to hit.

_________________
"The individual with the primitive flashlight has been sent to re-education."

Tau Alternate Codex, First Edition Released! 04/05/12
http://www.mediafire.com/?31y3e6b31uutrth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Ireland!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:05 am 
Offline
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 am
Posts: 7973
Location: Wollongong, Australia
The way you talk you make it sound as if Tau actually have a decent codex... :P

_________________
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Ireland!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:19 am 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:59 am
Posts: 192
Zero wrote:
The way you talk you make it sound as if Tau actually have a decent codex... :P


Most armies don't have 5+ armour saves and paper armour on their vehicles.
Nids and DE tend to get devastated by the most basic Tau weaponry, by they make up for it by having numbers or being ridiculously fast (or both).

The Tau codex hasn't aged well, is all. Codex creep has hit it hard, IMO.

_________________
"The individual with the primitive flashlight has been sent to re-education."

Tau Alternate Codex, First Edition Released! 04/05/12
http://www.mediafire.com/?31y3e6b31uutrth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Ireland!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:49 pm 
Offline
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 am
Posts: 7973
Location: Wollongong, Australia
No, most armies don't, but Dark Eldar still have a very well written codex. They're not newbie friendly though.

_________________
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Ireland!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:02 pm 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Zealot
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:59 pm
Posts: 291
Location: On the battlefield killing with my awesome...
In other words... You will lose... A LOT

until you get better...
Then you will have people cursing your name, for you are a pesky sneaky, and underhanded DE player. That always seems to outsmart them, and outmaneuver them, and put them in varius sticky situations no one wants to be in.

_________________
Skies the limit? You havn't met me then.


"Commodore you are a hero to the world" ~ IGfanatic
"You are now extremely awesome" ~ Tmb
"You, sir, indeed are awesome" ~ teclis


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Ireland!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm 
Offline
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 am
Posts: 7973
Location: Wollongong, Australia
Commodore Awesome wrote:
In other words... You will lose... A LOT

until you get better...
Then you will have people cursing your name, for you are a pesky sneaky, and underhanded DE player. That always seems to outsmart them, and outmaneuver them, and put them in varius sticky situations no one wants to be in.

In other words, brand new Grey Knights player > brand new Dark Eldar player, BUT, veteran Dark Eldar player > veteran Grey Knights player.

Yeah. That's right.

_________________
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group