New player from AK

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Daniels907
Now we're getting somewhere...

New player from AK

Post by Daniels907 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:09 am

Hello war gamers! Been watching the channel on YouTube for about 6 months and finally decided to get into 40k. I am currently playing tau. All i've got is the start collecting box and I'm mainly playing my friend who plays necrons to learn the rules. Any advice on what models I should pick up and General advice would be very welcome!

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: New player from AK

Post by Koonitz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:07 pm

Welcome to the forums!

When you are just starting, your best options for what to buy is "what you like". The start collecting box is a great basis for an army, which you can practice your modeling and painting (starting, I strongly recommend, with the basic troops). Beyond that, always remember that your army is going to be an investment, so always remember to get what you like.

8th Edition also an opportune time to start playing, as you really don't have any truly "bad" choices when picking a model/unit to buy. Everything is useful and can be good, so, doubly, buy "what you like".

From there, I recommend heading over to the WarHammer 40k section of the forum and the Xenos subsection, where you can ask all you want about the Tau and get focused answers from Tau players.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:36 am

Welcome to the forums.

Koonitz hit the nail on the head with his advice.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Dheiti
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Dheiti » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:39 am

Welcome along! :)
Armies:
Tyranids
White Scars
Death Guard
Harlequins

Tibour
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Tibour » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:26 pm

Koonitz wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:07 pm
Welcome to the forums!

8th Edition also an opportune time to start playing, as you really don't have any truly "bad" choices when picking a model/unit to buy. Everything is useful and can be good, so, doubly, buy "what you like".

From there, I recommend heading over to the WarHammer 40k section of the forum and the Xenos subsection, where you can ask all you want about the Tau and get focused answers from Tau players.
Welcome, it is very hard to beat this advice :D