It is currently Tue May 05, 2015 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1850 Experiment
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:09 pm 
Silver Vault Member

So the 40K league, that I play in, ended last week and we have moved into a 3 week break. I have decided to use this break to bring out my Nids, and try out a couple of units that I have not tried before.

first here is my list:

Swarmlord w/ 2 X tryant Guard with lash whip

Tervigon w/ S Talons, Adrenal glands, Regen

Tervigon w/ S Talons, Adrenal glands, Regen (counts as troops)

Termagant X 11 w/ devourer, Spore

Hormaguant X 14 w/ toxin sacks

Genestealer X 10 w/ toxin sacks

Genestealer X 11 w/ toxin sacks

hive guard X 2

hive guard X 2

Doom of Malan'tai w/ Pod

So the new units are the swarmlord, the doom, and the termagaunts with devourers. I have never ran these guys in a pod and with the big guns since it makes them pretty expensive. I have heard good things soooo I will try them out.

The swarmlord will be interesting. I usually run a tryant fully decked out so his cost is not bad. I am just hoping I can get him into combat so he can tear some stuff up. I do lose the hive commander option of bringing a troop through outflanking so tervigon coming in from the side to eat some unsuspecting unit. He does give me the +1 to reserve roll and the reroll on outflanking for my stealers so I can't complain.

the last guy I am trying out for the first time is the Doom. I hear people swear by this guy so I guess we shall see how it goes. I am going to have to brush up on the rules for him though... If he does well I might just have to start putting him in more of my armies.

So there is my list for the next 3 weeks. I will run it no matter what comes up (unless I cant find an 1850 game to play) after this trial run, I will evaluate each of these units and give my rating for each.

questions? comments? nom, nom, nom?

Post subject: Re: 1850 Experiment
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:02 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Interesting list. I would say either commit to a full brood of termagaunts or hormagaunts, because one well placed template will wipe out a small gaunt squad. Maybe that will give you enough to slip in a broodlord.

Let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:30 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

grenndal wrote:
So the 40K league, that I play in, ended last week and we have moved into a 3 week break. I have decided to use this break to bring out my Nids, and try out a couple of units that I have not tried before.

first here is my list:

Swarmlord w/ 2 X tryant Guard with lash whip

Tervigon w/ S Talons, Adrenal glands, Regen

Tervigon w/ S Talons, Adrenal glands, Regen (counts as troops)

Termagant X 11 w/ devourer, Spore

Hormaguant X 14 w/ toxin sacks

Genestealer X 10 w/ toxin sacks

Genestealer X 11 w/ toxin sacks

hive guard X 2

hive guard X 2

Doom of Malan'tai w/ Pod

So the new units are the swarmlord, the doom, and the termagaunts with devourers. I have never ran these guys in a pod and with the big guns since it makes them pretty expensive. I have heard good things soooo I will try them out.

The swarmlord will be interesting. I usually run a tryant fully decked out so his cost is not bad. I am just hoping I can get him into combat so he can tear some stuff up. I do lose the hive commander option of bringing a troop through outflanking so tervigon coming in from the side to eat some unsuspecting unit. He does give me the +1 to reserve roll and the reroll on outflanking for my stealers so I can't complain.

the last guy I am trying out for the first time is the Doom. I hear people swear by this guy so I guess we shall see how it goes. I am going to have to brush up on the rules for him though... If he does well I might just have to start putting him in more of my armies.

So there is my list for the next 3 weeks. I will run it no matter what comes up (unless I cant find an 1850 game to play) after this trial run, I will evaluate each of these units and give my rating for each.

questions? comments? nom, nom, nom?

Agreed with fotoguys points... But also i think u should drop regen on tervigon - it has never been worth it for me and also the scything talons is kinda meh in my opinion... Take tox n' sacs instead and cataclysm. I would drop the 14 hormas and get 20 gargs instead they always seem to work out better for me. Hormas are nice but in very big numbers i think :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:21 am 
Silver Vault Member

Well, things went well. the regen on the tervigon kept him alive a couple of turns... since I played an annihilation game I only made one extra unit of guants.

I do see your point in bringing 1 large squad instead of 2 smaller ones they pretty much got taken out by a hail of bolter fire. the guants did 10 wounds on the initial volley but only 1 wound got through.

The swarmlord did well. I really liked the reroll of Invuln saves. I do miss the reroll of 1's that my normal tryant gets though.

the Doom did ok. he came in and killed 4 dominion sisters and then blew up an exorcist tank they got blown away by a multi-melta

Last edited by grenndal on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:17 am 
Silver Vault Member

I wrote up a report from what I remember of the game and posted it on my blog.. I didn't take notes or pictures and don't own a video camera (not sure if the guys would like me recording the games anyway.

if you want to read it you can find it here: Nids vs Sisters