It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:49 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Hello everyone,

I am new to table top games. The closest I've ever played is a few games of Risk. =p After reading many Horus Heresy novels and playing Dawn of War I & II for three years I decided to get an army with some friends who are also mostly new to the scene. Eldar looked like the most fun to paint and I was drawn to their background. Now the only problem is I have no idea what I am doing. I've been buying figures based on what I think looks the most fun to paint.

What I am trying to say is...I need your help!
Tactics, build lists suggestions, and overall motivation to paint and play. Inspire me! And, in turn, inspire yourself. Or don't.

If it is allright I would like to update this thread as I travel through the hobby.

Collection
Painted
Striking Scropions x6
Rangers x 5
Dark Reapers x5
War Walker

WIP
Guardians x10
Dire Avengers x5

Untouched
Autarch
Shining Spears
Farseer and Warlock Bodyguards
Rangers x3 (gift)
Wave Serpent
Wraithlord

I look at this list and wonder why I bought so many new figures before finishing the ones I all ready owned. That was a bit silly of me.

Last edited by Iacton on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:04 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:49 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Build Lists

The Farseers' visions point to immenent conflicts with the young Tau, unyielding Space Marines, and misguided Grey Knights. Below we have listed the Autarchs' suggested deployments against each of these witless foes.

1,000 point builds are the current target. I understand I'll need to make some new purchases and was hoping the community could guide me in the right direction. Fire Dragons and another Waveserpent seem like a requirement. Should I purchase another Battleforce? My only hesitation is, from what I've seen, Guardians are not used very much.

vs Tau - I'm thinking scatter lasers and a focus on speed would be good.
I'm leaning towards adding another squad of Scorpions and throwing them into a Waveserpent to rush into melee. I'd also want a WS with Fire Dragons in it to blow up vehicles.

vs Space Marines - RANGERS! REAPERS! All the PEW PEW.

vs Grey Knights - ...prayers?

In the future I will have actual build lists up. Honestly I'm not really sure where to even begin.

Clearly I need a great deal of help. Never having played a match I'm not entirely sure what to expect.

Last edited by Iacton on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:50 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Visions
Because, let us be honest, everyone likes pictures.

Striking Scorpions were the first units I painted. Looking at this picture I can see they need some touching up and a better purple for the raised parts. The War Walker in the background was my second paint job. I really enjoyed trying to get a plasma effect. Sadly it looks better in the photo than in reality as it isn't that neon bright.

Rangers! Snow Rangers! The fiance said I should have snow bases and so I was doomed to painting white. This was a heck of a learning experience but I really like how they turned out. Mostly. Still a bit torn on the light purple but am too worried about screwing up the model to try painting over it with anything. Partially because all you ever see are white skinned eldar and partially because I thought it would look better with the rest of the paint job I decided to give my exposed Rangers a deep tan. I might end up making my entire Eldar army dark skinned.

Those are some mighty big guns, Reapers. I tried to give the tips the illusion of being recently fired or in the process of being fired. I really like these guys, too bad the image is so dark.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:56 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Bases man... do something with the bases.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:47 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

I agree with Todda, basing the models will make them look better. But looking past that I really like your paint style. And I know that lots of people have different ways of painting their aspect warriors and the way you've done it is really nice! The purple on the scorpions and reapers help tie it in with the rest of your force (I'm assuming your guardians etc are also going to be purple since your war walker was) Great job!

bases...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:22 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

I do plan on doing bases once I get back to the states. I don't have any basing material here with me.
@Falcon Thank you. I have started on my Guardians and are giving them purple armor with silver helmets and bone weapons. I plan on keeping that basic theme throughout my army while still including part of the classic aspect colors involved on each model. That is why (though it is hard to tell in the picture) my Reapers have black armor with purple edge highlights.

So I started making a list and, wow, I am way over my head. Part of the problem is I tried writing a list based on what I own (going to buy Dragons soon). It'll have to do for awhile but I would love help making an "optimal" list regardless of what I own. Just no all jetbike armies, not a fan of that look.

vs Tau

HQ
Autarch: 120
(Wings, Mandiblasters, Power Weapon, Fusion Gun)

Troops total = 417
10 x Guardians: 120
Eldar Missile Launcher

10 x Guardians: 105
Shuriken Cannon 5

8 x Pathfinders: 192

Elites total = 341
6 x Fire Dragons: 223
(Exarch and Wave Serpent w/ twin-linked scatter lasers)

Striking Scorpions: 118
Exarch Biting Blade, Shadowstrike

Fast Attack
Shining Spears: 117

total = 995

My idea is to sneak in with Scorpions on whatever I deam needs to die in round one. Send the Fire Dragons and Shining Spears after tanks/broadsides. Let the Guardians hold objectives. Have the Pathfinders pin what they can. Let the Autarch jump around like the free spirit he is.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:56 pm 

The list looks OK considering what you have. HOWEVER there are a few things you might want to change.
1. Your Autarch isnt going to last long if he is by himself most of the time. A volley of fire from some tau fire warriors etc could kill you without to much trouble (tau would be from a distance of course.) An idea is that you take the autarch with the fire dragons, help them blow up whatever when they first land (cause of his fusion gun) then because your now hopefully close to the enemy try and take out something else by himself or stick with the dragons for the rest of the game. An extra note would be GET A FARSEER. They are better then autarchs in so many ways, they can protect your army or make them more powerful (in a way).
2. As soon as you get Dire Avengers (which I highly recommend) I would replace the guardians. Maybe leave one for when you have a home objective for them to sit on and send the avengers forward. Dire Avengers are mostly best equipped with their exarch having two shuriken catapults and bladestorm (which you then team up with a farseer with doom guide and spirit stones) This is a very deadly combo. Just look throughout the eldar forum to see how many use it (or recommend it)

Apart from that I think the rest is pretty decent. Obviously you worked with what you had which is what I have to do. With this army enemies like DE will most likely run over you might get lucky. Hope I was helpful :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

@Falcon96 Okay so if I keep the Autarch I should run him with the Fire Dragons, that makes sense. But if I get a Farseer should I replace the Autarch completely or try and fit him in with the Fire Dragons and some lower point gear. Maybe downgrade the Pathfinders to Rangers?

I have 5 Dire Avengers right now. I'm torn between buying another Battleforce or a box of Avengers and a Falcon. Are the extra points on a Falcon worth it or should I stick with Wave Serpents?

UPDATE:

So I just finished painting my first ever HQ unit, the Avatar of Khaine. Maybe I shouldn't say finished since I haven't decided what to do with the loincloth (haven't picked a symbol for my army yet). As for the hair I'm not even sure if it'll end up on his head so I never painted it. I'm thinking about cutting of that knob on the top or try to shave it down into a spike. Thoughts?

Oh, right, the purple. I didn't want to do molten lava like you always see and my army is all ready a dark purple and bone theme so I figure, hey, the warp is represented as purple. Maybe this group of Eldar has been touched by the warp to the point that their Avatar has been altered.

Hmmmm...the colors on my camera keep coming out brighter. The top part of his...ears is nowhere near white like that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:17 am 

Word of advice: Don't tailor your lists.

Tailoring teaches you bad habbits, and is in general just not a very good thing to do. A lot of people won't like you tailoring against them and it's certainly not a good way to get better at the game.

Also, you especially should not be tailoring against Tau, of all armies. They have the single worst codex currently out and any half-decent army can annihilate them. The only chance the Tau player has is if you make some mistakes (with Eldar, making a mistake is a bit worse than making one with a Marines army, so this is only kind of true for you, not any of your Marine-playing friends), if you have a terrible list, and I'm not saying just bad, but downright terrible, or if he is a significantly better player than you (he has years of experience vs your none).

So, I'll give you advice on making an all-comers list.

Iacton wrote:
HQ
Lose him and take a Farseer instead. Farseer's are must-have. Autarchs aren't bad or anything, they're alright as a 2nd HQ, but you don't want a 2nd HQ until at least 1500 points.

Troops total = 417
Eldar Missile Launcher

Shuriken Cannon
Guardian's aren't terrible, but they're not particularly fantastic either. If you could get yourself that 2nd Battleforce, ditch one squad for a squad of Dire Avengers in a Serpent.

Drop this unit. Pathfinders are bad, m'kay? Pathfinders are the greatest snipers in the game, and they still suck. What does that mean? It means that Snipers are bad and should not be taken.

Elites total = 341
Lose the Exarch and one Dragon.

Give him a Scorpions Claw instead. Also, try to get 8-10 of them, but I guess 6 will do for now if that's all you have.

Fast Attack
What do they have? I'm assuming you've only got 3, based off of the cost of them, and 3 is not enough. You need to max out the squad, otherwise they just won't be doing enough for you. And, if you want, even stick a Farseer on a Jetbike with them. Be warned: Shining Spears are rarely used, not because they're bad, but because they're very hard to use. The power that gives you Hit and Run is a must-have as well.

You kind of need some Heavy Support in here. Throw in that War Walker you had, it'll help you out a good bit. Give it 2 Scatter Lasers and you should be set.

total = 995

My idea is to sneak in with Scorpions on whatever I deam needs to die in round one. Send the Fire Dragons and Shining Spears after tanks/broadsides. Let the Guardians hold objectives. Have the Pathfinders pin what they can. Let the Autarch jump around like the free spirit he is.

Go for the 2nd Battleforce. You'll get yourself a 2nd War Walker to go with the first and fill out your first squad of Avengers. Yes, Guardians aren't great, but with the Battleforce they're actually free (as in, if you bought the War Walker, Wave Serpent and half a box of Avengers, you'd still be paying for the whole Battleforce), so it's basically a win-win situation.

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:24 am 

Zero wrote:
Word of advice: Don't tailor your lists.

Tailoring teaches you bad habbits, and is in general just not a very good thing to do. A lot of people won't like you tailoring against them and it's certainly not a good way to get better at the game.

Also, you especially should not be tailoring against Tau, of all armies. They have the single worst codex currently out and any half-decent army can annihilate them. The only chance the Tau player has is if you make some mistakes (with Eldar, making a mistake is a bit worse than making one with a Marines army, so this is only kind of true for you, not any of your Marine-playing friends), if you have a terrible list, and I'm not saying just bad, but downright terrible, or if he is a significantly better player than you (he has years of experience vs your none).

So, I'll give you advice on making an all-comers list.

Iacton wrote:
HQ
Lose him and take a Farseer instead. Farseer's are must-have. Autarchs aren't bad or anything, they're alright as a 2nd HQ, but you don't want a 2nd HQ until at least 1500 points.

Troops total = 417
Eldar Missile Launcher

Shuriken Cannon
Guardian's aren't terrible, but they're not particularly fantastic either. If you could get yourself that 2nd Battleforce, ditch one squad for a squad of Dire Avengers in a Serpent.Guardians without farseers are WORTHLESS

Drop this unit. Pathfinders are bad, m'kay? Pathfinders are the greatest snipers in the game, and they still suck. What does that mean? It means that Snipers are bad and should not be taken.ACTUALLY I would give the Vindicare Assassin the spot as best sniper in the game lol, also the only one worth taking

Elites total = 341
Lose the Exarch and one Dragon.agree fire dragon exarch is just about the worst upgrade in the book

Give him a Scorpions Claw instead. Also, try to get 8-10 of them, but I guess 6 will do for now if that's all you have.Disagree scorpion claw only gives him str 6 and he goes last on initiative, for the points usually get better results outta the biting blade

Fast Attack
What do they have? I'm assuming you've only got 3, based off of the cost of them, and 3 is not enough. You need to max out the squad, otherwise they just won't be doing enough for you. And, if you want, even stick a Farseer on a Jetbike with them. Be warned: Shining Spears are rarely used, not because they're bad, but because they're very hard to use. The power that gives you Hit and Run is a must-have as well.

You kind of need some Heavy Support in here. Throw in that War Walker you had, it'll help you out a good bit. Give it 2 Scatter Lasers and you should be set.

total = 995

Go for the 2nd Battleforce. You'll get yourself a 2nd War Walker to go with the first and fill out your first squad of Avengers. Yes, Guardians aren't great, but with the Battleforce they're actually free (as in, if you bought the War Walker, Wave Serpent and half a box of Avengers, you'd still be paying for the whole Battleforce), so it's basically a win-win situation.

Necrons

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:36 am 

Lordpike wrote:
Disagree scorpion claw only gives him str 6 and he goes last on initiative, for the points usually get better results outta the biting blade

I've been over this argument a few times before.

He does go last, but what does that matter? What are could you possibly be assaulting that would kill your whole unit, Exarch and all, should he not have those few attacks from the Biting Blade? The Biting Blade will kill, on average, about one guy. So you stopped them from getting one attack that would have had to hit on 4+, wound on 3+ and then you'd have to fail your 3+ armour save, and lose a single model. Or you could just take your chances (odds are in your favour), and reliably smash 2-3 guys.

Also, Strength 6 is just as irrelevant. Against everything you should be assaulting with Scorpions (stuff with less than Toughness 4), you're wounding on a 2+ anyway.

Lastly, the HUGE benefit the Claw has over the Blade, pretty much the one thing that makes it vastly better, is the fact that it ignores armour. Against Marines, this means a lot.

The Biting Blade also has a strength based on how many times it hits, and more often than not, it too is going to be strength 6, except it won't be ignoring armour and will therefore kill significantly fewer enemies. I think it was 1 kill verses 3. Then if you wiff your To Hit rolls and only hit once, well, you're not going to do anywhere near as much damage, whereas the Claw will still reliably kill whatever you hit.

I did the math for both a little while ago too, and the Claw was superior in just about every way.

My awesome blog of awesomeness.