It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Eldar army.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:10 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

I have a unit of 6 Striking Scorpions, but the problem is I likely will never use them. The only Phoenix Lord I sometimes will take is Jain Zar with a unit of 10 Howling Banshees (Exarch upgrade) in a Wave Serpent and watch it rip through units.

Typically though I just take my Warp Spider army or a variation of it. The best HQ though is Eldrad Ulthran by far. The only other units I sometimes will take is War Walkers, Fire Prisms, Falcon with Fire Dragons, Fire Dragons on foot, or Howling Banshees. Beyond that I would take something else just for the heck of it, not because I like it in my army or it works well. My Warp Spider army is pretty nasty if run right and most people have trouble trying to counter all that speed. I win every time with it... and usually table the other army or come really close. I do not play enough though right now as our group is heavy into Fantasy.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:48 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Fair enough, I tend to stick with basically the same loadouts as well, but once in a while just like to spice it up and try something completely different.
You seem to be very focused on heavy shooting, and the CC squads I recommended don't really suit your default builds. That said, really don't overlook Harlequins, they are very much like Warp Spiders, tricky to use, but BEASTLY if used right.
And to be honest, while Scorpions are quite good, I recommended them almost entirely on their current sculpt (I LOVE the Predator dreadlocks)

Jain Zar is an awesome HQ, my only problem is she is pretty redundant, a 10 man squad of Banshees really doesn't need her help(especially if Eldrad Dooms the squad they are gonna attack for them)

Necrons

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:08 pm 

I hate the look of Harlequins and vowed 15 years ago I would never put them in my army... :P

That said... painting went well today. I painted up my 6 Striking Scorpions...

Then I painted my 8 Swooping Hawks...

Here is the army shot (as I move things around to make room for more)...

This is all I have left...

I likely will not be able to paint for the next few days as I got another historical miniature commission for 60 models at $1.60 each... I guess this is market normal. These are American Revolutionary soldiers again, but Americans this time. I was told to expect about this size order every week for a month or so. These should be a little easier to paint though, so I should hit my target of $12 an hour. I'm using the first commission ($112.50) to pay for a War Machines Cryx army and this commission ($96) to pay for some new Necron stuff coming in 2 weeks I guess. My next commission will likely go to more Necron too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:38 pm 

nothing against your paintjob but holy hell those old scorpion sculpts are terrible.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:05 pm 

Not as bad as the old long helmet guys

Necrons

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:12 pm 

Yes... I have a lot of old models and some of them are pretty bad looking. I might stop after the Howling Banshees as those Guardians are ugly as sin... and I hate Guardians. The weapons teams are just as bad. The Dire Avengers are not as bad, but he weapons on the Exarch will likely not be WYSIWYG and what is the point of 6 extra Dire Avengers when I have 30 much better looking plastic Dire Avengers.

I just got confirmation of the second wave for Necron hits in a week and a half, so I need to get painting... :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:35 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Yea, I wouldn't bother with those guardians either especially since they are holding lasguns.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:45 am 

Good Point. I think I will just do the Howling Banshees. I converted the second Exarch to a regular Banshee so I can field a unit of 10. The dumb thing is they give the Exarch an ax instead of the Executioner and Triskele. I love that Executioner. I guess it looks like an ax for the Exarch and a staff for Jain Zar. Maybe I'll convert it to a staff based power weapon the Dire Avenger Exarch uses as I have an extra one.

They were supposed to be molding the models for me to paint yesterday after lunch, so I likely will have to do those first. If they go a little faster I should be back to painting my Howling Banshee by Friday. Then my War Machines... then probably another batch of 15mm stuff... then my Necron will likely be in.... My hobby feeds itself now... :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:21 pm 

The 15mm were not done until 2pm, so I painted up the Howling Banshees....

So this is pretty much my army for now...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:59 am 

Man, just watching this army grow has been great. Your a great painter! And to do it in such small time as well shows your dedication. Hopefully this will drive me to finish mine :|

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:49 am 

You must understand... I played Warhammer for probably 7-8 years, took 8-9 years off, and got back in about 4 years ago.
In those first 7-8 years I collected Skaven, High Elves, Bretonnia, Lizardmen, and Eldar. I painted up maybe 25% of my High Elves, and most of my Skaven, but only painted a few of my Bretonnia, Lizardmen, and Eldar. When I came back in it was with 40k and I bought some more Eldar and only painted a few... and really poorly at that. Then I got Orks... lots and lots of Orks and painted maybe 20% of those. Not too long after that the new Skaven book came out and I basically replaced all my Skaven models but the characters and Plague Censer Bearers. I started painting all the new stuff and got in an escalation campaign. I void to not field an unpainted model in that so I start cranking through my Skaven pretty fast. The campaign ended at about 2600 points, but I never stopped painting. When I finished them I Started a Warriors of Chaos army and fully painted all 3500 points. Then last October I got laid off after 15 years. Since then I started Necron. I quickly accumulated 4500 points... fully painted. I then started painting my Lizardmen and got about 75% done. Early this year I started my Vampire Counts and fully painted about 2500 points worth. I picked up the last of my Lizardmen and painted those next, then started my Eldar.

I post the pictures up here and do some battle reports... partly to encourage people to paint their stuff, but also to get them to post their pictures and battle reports up here too. Like you said... this encourages others to paint their stuff and play the game more. I also did a huge build of scenery, mostly for Fantasy. It all ties together into a better experience... Painting, Scenery, and Playing. I even did the same for Dreadfleet. I did threads for each...

Eldar
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=59

Vampire Counts
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70160

Necron
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=67994

Skaven
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33346

Lizardmen
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66274

Warriors of Chaos
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61135

Scenery
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40845&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dreadfleet
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66820

Warmachines Cryx
Coming soon...

I revisit these links as I add more to each army and paint them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:57 am 

Wish I had my army finished being painted....sigh.
I paint really slowly and barely adequately. Let's see what do I have left to paint?
10 Warlocks
10 Harlequins
10 Howling Banshees
10 Warp Spiders
20 Guardians/w 2 Weapons Platforms(these are a low priority)
10 Rangers
5 Dark Reapers
6 Jetbikes
1 Farseer
3 Heavy Support Platforms with crew(plastic kit for these is really cool, wish they were more useful)
1 Wave Serpent
2 Vypers
2 Warwalkers
Ugh this list makes me sick

Necrons

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:42 pm 

Location: having lunch in the Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
the cool thing for me is that i don't have to re-paint my army if i don't want to, the only stuff that isn't painted in mine MORE than makes up for anything else though:
10 Dark reapers
1 Fire Prism
1 Venom/Vyper
10 Swooping Hawks
8 Warp Spiders
1 Maugen Ra
1 Baharroth
1 Asurman
1 Yriel
5 Fire Dragons
8 Dire Avengers
1 Phoenix Bomber
1 Hornet
2 Night Spinners
and
60 Harlequins

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:22 pm 
Silver Vault Member

60!!!!!!! :O!!!!!!

I'm Flabbergasted at the sight of that number! I'm fairly certain you have more harlies then I have models!

Khador: 25 points

Ogre Kingdoms: 2300 points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:55 pm 

Like I said I just never like the idea of Clown Elves in Space. Guardians are only slightly better and I'm not even willing to paint the ones I have, but that is partly because they have the wrong guns and are not WYSIWYG. I normally do not worry too much about WYSIWYG, but the local shop got a deal when they ordered the new paint rack, that they now have $900 in prize support instead of $300 and can return anything outdated... including 236 bottle of old paint. This resulted them in getting the rack, that color strips for the rack, 6x145 bottle of paint, plus they got an extra $40 for being signed up for level 1&2 already and an extra $75 if they pay for the paint within a month. This means if you subtract out the prize support and other cash bonuses it is costing them only $600 for $1800 of paint and the rack. So this means lots of GW tournaments. They have not decided how many and of what type. Probably 1 large Fantasy, 1 large 40k, and maybe 1 smaller painting one... Get a SM out of the painting set and those paints and 2 hours to assemble and paint using only those materials... this includes pieces of the sprue and box, plus normal tools, brushes, and some glue. They did this a year and a half ago at a New Years Eve bash and it was crazy fun.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next