It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My Forge World Avatar
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:17 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
I've posted this in the painting section but the fact that this took me nearly 2 months to paint and I'm so glad that it is done that I thought I'd share with other Eldar fans. It was fun to paint

I thought that I would also post a comparison to the Games Workshop model I painted 13 years ago for a size comparison. For the extra coin the Forge World model is way worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:05 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Nice work, especially on the spear!

Warriors of Chaos: 4,500-ish points (95% painted)
Chaos Dwarves: 3,000-ish points (85% painted)
Bretonnia: 3,000-ish points (25% painted)
Imperial Fists: 1,500-ish points (40% painted)

Updated 1/7/2014! - WIP here

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:39 am 
Silver Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
holy crap that is amazing, but just a question. how did you get the body to look like hardened lava, is it just like a burgundy colour or is there more to it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:22 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Simply put,

WOW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:51 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

That looks freaking amazing! In fact, it has actually made me consider my personal freeze on spending anymore money on Warhammer to purchase that model and do it like a boss.

"It saddens me greatly that we must take arms against the peoples of the galaxy. By their deaths, they deny themselves the liberation that is only to be found in total surrender to the Greater Good. " - Aun'va, Master of the Undyng Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:18 am 

Location: having lunch in the Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
well, I now know for a fact that i HAVE to have the Forgeworld Avatar. it stands from the pic almost twice as tall as the metal GW one and that's just awesome. means he also stands taller than the C'Tan. please give details of how you painted this guy or a li9nk to your WIP/Tutorial/Daily/Weekly paint or whatever it is if you have one, as that's almost exactly the way i want to do my Avatar.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:17 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
scotzy1995 wrote:
how did you get the body to look like hardened lava, is it just like a burgundy colour or is there more to it?

sebastionsynn wrote:
please give details of how you painted this guy or a li9nk to your WIP/Tutorial/Daily/Weekly paint or whatever it is if you have one, as that's almost exactly the way i want to do my Avatar.

You will find some WIP shots in my dailypaint thread here http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=72837&start=60

To step out the lava process I:

1. White prime
2. Khorne Red for the lava parts that I wanted it dark
3. Averland Sunset for the lava parts that I wanted brighter (hotter)
4. Blazing Orange on the whole thing. The orange over the red was much darker, orange on the yellow base was a bright orange..... I kept doing orange layers over the parts the red and yellow base met to get a blended colour from dark to light.
5. Sunburst Yellow over the orange to represent hotter lava.
6. 1:1 ratio Sunburst Yellow:Skull White over the yellow that were even hotter.
7. 1:3 ratio Sunburst Yellow:Skull White to the even hotter parts.
8. Charadon Granite on the body, painting part way down the walls on the cracks.

One of my WIP picts shows where I have done part 8 on the legs and havent done it on the top half yet.

9. Babab Black Wash on the middle parts of the body, leaving the edges Charadon Granite. Using more Babab Black in the middle if I wanted the skin darker looking.
10. Very watered down Khorne Red to go over the side walls of the cracks and the edges of the skin.
11. Same as above but with watered down Blazing Orange where the lava was hotter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:40 pm 

Location: having lunch in the Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Quote:
You will find some WIP shots in my dailypaint thread here viewtopic.php?f=130&t=72837&start=60
To step out the lava process I:

thanks for the tips dude, I'm sure others out there besides myself will appreciate the instruction.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:35 pm 
Silver Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
thanks, that helps alot, and makes me want to get the forgeworld model, instead of the gw one, just too much awesome to pass up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:30 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Um... wow. That is impossibly awesome.

No idea what to say.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:08 pm 
Now we're getting somewhere...

wow, ive been going back and fourth about buying one of those, and that kind of set it in stone. that is huge.