It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: eldar noob
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:34 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Hey all,
So i've been playing CSM for forever and have a huge amount and decided to start a second army. No one where I play really plays Eldar so i have not faced them once. I read teh codex and liked saim-hann so i bought some jetbikes (the store only had 4 in stock, so that's all I got) and a Fire Prism and 2 Vypers (magnatized weapons). And then I picked up Path of the Warrior by Gav Thorpe. I am now in love with everything about the Alaitoc fluff. I want a fluffy Alaitoc army, i'm not super concerned with being incredibly competitive yet with my eldar. The few questions I have are:
1. HQs, fluff wise, (since i'm still not finished with the book) would Alaitoc have a seer council on jetbikes? What would be the fluffiest (I'm guessing the Avatar of Khaine and Phoenix Lord, but the latter need an update from what i've read), so what's the general suggestion?
2. Where would the bikes and Vypers fit in if the bikes are not for carrying warlocks?
3. Harlequins, yay or nay?
4. Fire dragons, near necessity?
5. Striking Scorpions, 1 or 2 squads, how large?
6. Dire avengers and rangers are the plan for troops, any suggestions on squad number or size would be appreciated.

my initial plan is to just hit 1,000 points and then build to 2,000

Post subject: Re: eldar noob
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:08 am 
Bronze Vault Member

I don't know much about the fluff but I will add my 2 cents about some units.

I believe fire dragons are almost a necessity for all eldar, drop them in a wave serpent and its just an insane killing squad. Harlequins you want the full 10 with the troup master and the shadowseer, make sure they all have the Harlequins kiss-makes them 10x better than without.

I like to upgrade my rangers to pathfinders and I generally don't take more than 5, after that it gets expensive and they can be wasted on one target-if anything take 2 squads of 5. Dire avengers I go the opposite, the bigger the better and make sure you take an exarch for their triple shot attack (can't remember its name right now) and I normally take 2 avenger catapults for more shooty.

Vanilla Marines 6000

In that order!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:39 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Harlequins FTW. I pick these elite choices for close combat everyday. We get a 4+ cover save in the open when using a Shadowseer and also the maximum you can be shot from is 24 inches. The average being 14. Just think of it... Your right outside of rapid fire range, you move up 6 inches, either choose to throw grenades or not, then you run... Next you declare your charge and voila with average rolling you'll be in the assault :). Put the avatar of khainevwith them as well as eldrad. You have a kick a** unit of death that will kill everything in it path. I absolutely love this unit but it takes a bit of getting used to as their squishy but the veil of tears helps you enormously. Good luck. I have a saim Hann themed army too: pantifex mortis, the bringers of death.

Loss:1
"Pain is temporary... Honor is forever"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:28 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

thanks so much for all of the input.
To expand my army i think i will start with some pathfinders, dire avengers, and harlequins to play low point value games and get a better feel for the army.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:39 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
If you are wanting Alaitoc for fluff then you have to have a squad of rangers/pathfinders if not 2. Then use Dire Avengers and Guardians as your other troop choices.

HQ's would be an Autarch and / or Farseer. Fluff wise they would be more on foot than on jetbikes.

Even though Harlequinns are awesome fluff wise they would be rarely seen in battle with Alaitoc, striking scopions and banshees were used in the Path of the Warrior for their hand to hand strike forces.

Also in the book Dark Reapers were used a lot so for HS's reapers and Falcons would be the fluff, also War Walkers due to the craftworld being a scout themed army.

Thats my 2 cents on a themed army, the old craftworld book use to be based all around rangers and pathfinders for Alaitoc so you would want this as your core.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:15 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Ok, so I just added 2 boxes of dire avengers and 2 boxes of striking scorpions to what I have. The store was out of rangers, so those will have to be proxied. The next addition would then be a unit of warlock's with seer.
so the fire prism then, yay or nay? I will definitelly be getting a unit of dark reapers as well though

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:52 pm 
Silver Vault Member

i love my dark reapers (most of my friends play SM so they hate me :mrgreen: ) and the fire prism never worked for me by itself. ill have to try it again with the new 6th ed rules though. it is always hit or miss with me. though if you run a pair whatever they hit dies.

armies i play: tyranids (9000 pts), marines (4000 pts) orks (1750 pts) eldar (2500 pts) ig (3000 pts) lizardmen (2500 pts) high elves (3000 pts) cryx (100 pts) blindwater congregation (50 pts) trollbloods (25 pts)
current model count= 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:57 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Dark Reapers yay, they do a good job (Against most things) :) Rangers hit and miss, they can be awesome but in the same sense they can do nothing, one squad at 124 points I guess you can cope with this. Maybe not hitting the fluff but Eldrad is worth his weight in gold (probably his weight and the weight of an orignal metal Avatar!!)

Against anything with a save worse than 3+ then Vypers with EML and shuriken catapults are pretty decent (especially hordes!) plus you get the pinning which every now again is awesome.

Scorpions for pure number of save pressure. (combined with doom from eldrad ;))

All I will say is think outside the box a little, we all sit here talking what is best to take, but then again so does everyone in the other forums so coming out of left field can confuse your opponent.

Oh yeah outflank some Warwalkers, yes one will die pretty quick but can make its points back pretty quick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:08 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Sweetness, I really am at a loss for what to do for heavy support still, namely because i don't want to waste that fire prism, but the more i look the more i just want warwalkers with bright lances and dark reapers, so i may just keep it for later. Right now I have acquired about 1500 points (with some upgrades). I still have to put a lot together, but I have:
1 farseer
3 warlocks
20 dire avengers
6 guardian jetbikes (2 shuriken cannons)
6 swooping hawks
12 striking scorpions
2 vypers
1 fire prism

which i think is starting to fill out well, i just need the dark reapers and some war walkers from the looks of it.

what kind of a decent list could I get from this? or would you recommend? I do want to try outflanking those striking scorpions, if not infiltrating, with the warwalkers for back up. I'm also contimplating an Autarch. The guardian jetbikes will either swoop up when i get the scorpions on the field for support, or sit in reserves until the end to grab last minute objectives.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:23 pm 
Silver Vault Member

i find that if you keep the jetbikes on the field and run them in two units of 3 they are great units. your opponent will most likely not fire at them much (or at all for that matter) and they are just shooting a little bit with the cannons. a couple s6 shots here and there can really help. you have a lot of infantry so use the fire prism to kill his biggest anti infantry stuff. prioritize your targets and you should be fine. send those vypers vehicle hunting as well as the swooping hawks.

armies i play: tyranids (9000 pts), marines (4000 pts) orks (1750 pts) eldar (2500 pts) ig (3000 pts) lizardmen (2500 pts) high elves (3000 pts) cryx (100 pts) blindwater congregation (50 pts) trollbloods (25 pts)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:43 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

So for what I would like to do, would BLs on them be a viable option then?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:58 pm 
Silver Vault Member

either bls or ems, either works. usually the ems works just fine + its more versatile but if you see a lot or land raiders and monoliths in your area you might want to upgrade to the bls so you can kill the dang things

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:30 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Yea ill probably want the fast bls maybe 2bls and one eml in each squadron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:49 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Just remember that as an Eldar player our troups are pretty specific and therefore work well depending on you opponent. For example if your fighting a swarm bright lances are not as good as EML. The only time to take BLs in my (humble) opinion is when you are up against AV 13 + that your not confident you can flank, if its 12 of less you are better with EMLs as they are are more flexible.

As such you should pick your army accordingly, look at their strengths and counter it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:07 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Thanks for the info, I won't be able to get much more for a while, so with what little I have though I think I'll be fine for while, just playing smaller games with them until I really get the hang of how everything works, I'm glad I have 1500~ points though so that I can have a variety of smaller lists, but still be able to play moderate games for giggles