It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:25 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

EDIT: This is now my own 20 games journey thread. It may be unstickied. I'll leave the original wall of text just below for any interested in reading it. Feel free to respond to what's written below if you wish, but that's no longer going to be the main topic of this thread.

For any of you that have had a glimpse at Skari's "The Dark Journey, 20 Games to Kabal Greatness" thread, you'll understand what I'm getting at. For those of you that haven't, go take a look.

What I'd like to do is get every Dark Eldar member here to take the journey, create a thread about it, keep it updated, give a tactical analysis after each game as well as anything else you'd like to add.

What's the point in that?
The point is to enlighten every single member here. To make bad players good, good players great and great players tournament champions. Already a tournament champion? Then you can help others get there too by showing them how you do it and giving a detailed analysis after each game.

I understand that some of you don't have huge armies (I have around 1250 tops myself) or all the units you'd like, but even so playing 20 games with a 1000 point force and taking a good hard look at what you did right and wrong will help immensly. Some of you may only get a game or two a month. It doesn't matter. Do it anyway.

I plan on doing this myself (obviously) starting from whenever my next game is, and I'd like it if you could all do the same.

If I could get even just a temporary sticky here that'd be great, just to get something going with the community here. Thanks if that's possible.

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

Last edited by Zero on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:12 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

On it sir!

Dark Eldar: W:15 L:5 D:1 5th.

Dark Eldar: W:1 L:1 D:0 6th.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:07 pm 

Well at least someone else is excited :P

Could be up to 5 days before my next game, but I'd say that'd be the latest.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:34 pm 

I eagerly await to see and contribute to the greatness of the various Dark Eldar generals everywhere! The dark eldar are one of the hardest armies to master, it takes time and pooling experiences like this will make us all better gamers and tacticians.

:D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:39 pm 

Thanks for the sticky <insertmoderatorsnamehere> :wink:

And I also quite look forward to furthering my own and others understanding of the army. It'd be nice to have more participants though :P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:51 am 

Yes, as soon as I have a list I am sure of 100%, I will make it and post how it worked. But that dose not stop me from making some smaller raids! >:D

Dark Eldar: W:15 L:5 D:1 5th.

Dark Eldar: W:1 L:1 D:0 6th.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:13 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

I will try to play every Sunday at my cousin's shop are preparing to have a tournament staged in the next month,
so I will use all kinds of units and forms and put my tactical analysis.

Well I hope to participate more on the forum and learn more I'm in that difficult learning curve when to run or shoot.

But I feel good with the army.

In short I am inside. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:44 pm 

keofmind wrote:
I will try to play every Sunday at my cousin's shop are preparing to have a tournament staged in the next month,
so I will use all kinds of units and forms and put my tactical analysis.

Well I hope to participate more on the forum and learn more I'm in that difficult learning curve when to run or shoot.

But I feel good with the army.

In short I am inside. :mrgreen:

Very nice. Looking forward to it. Should only be another 3-4 days before I'll have my first game in the journey.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:40 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

This sounds like a lot of fun! I don't get to play too often yet, but I'll do my best to journal my conquests as they come! Playing against Orks next week.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:41 pm 

QuackTape wrote:
This sounds like a lot of fun! I don't get to play too often yet, but I'll do my best to journal my conquests as they come! Playing against Orks next week.

Sounds great!

It seems my plans have been delayed by a day and I'll be playing tomorrow now. Ah well, at least it's only a minor delay, not a cancel :P

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:48 am 

Bump. This thread can be unstickied now. I'm going to use this as my 20 games journey thread.

So, I did get the game in on Saturday, but unfortunately, not of the size I would have liked. Still, a game is a game and I got to testing out a few things I haven't tried too many times before.

I didn't get any pictures because I didn't have my camera. Sorry for that; it's the one thing I tried to remember to take but in my rush I ended up leaving it behind.

My opponent played Tyranids, it was a 500 point game.

His list:
Tyranid Prime w/ Lash Whip and Bonesword and a gun that I don't know the name of (S5)
3 Warriors w/ Lash Whip and Bonesword, Adrenal Glands (or something similar, they get Furious Charge) and a gun each (S4)
8 Genestealers and Broodlord w/ Toxin Sacs

My List:
Archon w/ Venom Blade, Shadow Field and Combat Drugs - 105pts.
10 Warriors w/ Splinter Cannon, Blaster and Sybarite w/ PGL - 145pts.
- Raider w/ Flickerfield and Splinter Racks - 80pts.
7 Wyches w/ Shardnet and Impaler and Hekatrix w/ Agoniser - 110pts.
- Raider - 60pts.
TOTAL - 500pts.

A few notes on my list: This was the first time I'd ever tried Splinter Racks and the PGL on my Warriors, so this game I was really just testing them out and really trying to gauge how effective the PGL is, although I feel I might find more use for it when my Sybarite has an Agoniser, but I had the points nevertheless. I hadn't used my Archon in a while either, and it was nice to pull him out. This is also the first time I've ever played without my Hellions. There's something refreshing about 500 point games.

It was Pitched Battle, Capture and Control. My objective was behind a building near the middle of the table and my opponents was on the other side, near the middle as well. The table was 4'x4'.

I rolled Splintermind for Drugs (starts game with a Pain Token, which meant my Archon + Wyches started with Furious Charge)

Deployment:
My opponent deployed his Genestealers behind a barricade near the centre of his deployment and his Warriors with his Prime in a ruin to my far right that would completely block my LoS should I seize the initiative, but close enough so that he could move out into some cover and attempt to stun my any vehicle I placed within reach.

I placed my Wyches on the left side so I would have some time to shoot the Genestealers and ultimately decide when combat would be. My Warriors were placed on the other side to take his Tyranid Warriors.

I failed to take the Initiative.

Turn 1:
He only got to move his Warriors 4" through the ruin, meaning he fell about 1/2" short of cover. His Genestealers advanced towards my Wyches. Both units ran, but the Genestealers failed to reach the cover of a nearby ruin, not that he'd be punished too much for it anyway.

I moved my Wych Raider up a bit, figuring even if he charged it, my Wyches would still get the charge on his Genestealers, which was ultimately the most important thing here. My Warrior Raider moved up 6" into Rapid Fire Range. The Wych Raider killed a Genestealer. The Warrior Raider wounded his Prime, but he passed his cover save. My Warriors then fired at his Warriors and amazingly hit with every single shot. They wounded a decent amount too. He allocated the Blaster wound onto his Prime to avoid instant death. The Prime failed two of his saves, bringing him to one wound. He then had to roll about 10 saves on his Warriors, and failed a single save. I wasn't very happy.

Turn 2:
He used Regeneration for his Prime and somehow managed to pull off two 6's. His Prime was now back on full wounds. Both units moved towards their targets. The Genestealers ran, getting them into charge range and his Warriors fired. Despite the relatively low strength of his guns, he pulled off a glance on the Kabalite Raider. He then proceeded to roll a 6 after my failed Flickerfield save. There was little room for my Kabalites to move and ultimately I knew they were doomed, PGL or not. Both units charged. The Genestealers only managed to stun my Wych Raider, meanwhile his Lashwhips proved to be the bane of my Kabalites, though I know it wouldn't have made too much of a difference. My two remaining Kabalites did nothing, failed their leadership (barely, I rolled a 3!) and were even caught in a sweeping advance.

My Wyches and Archon disembarked and fired with their pistols, killing one Genestealer. Furious Charge proved helpful, allowing my Archon to cut down a few Genestealers before his Broodlord failed to cause harm as my Wyches dodged with ease. My Wyches then proceeded to butcher all but one Genestealer, who again failed to inflict any kind of harm. He passed leadership.

Turn 3:
His Warriors moved across to claim the nearest objective and backup the remaining Genestealers, hoping they could hold on. His hopes were in vain though as he cut down two Wyches but was ultimately destroyed.

My Wyches moved across to meet the Tyranid Warriors, running to get into charge range, though they obviously felt they didn't need to run very far going a mere 2". The Raider fired, and he took it on his Prime again. The Wyches and Archon charged and the Lashwhips once again proved to be the bane of my existance. Luckily I had two Wyches who could strike first, not being in actual base contact, but being close enough to fight. They cause a single wound. The dice decided they'd swap favour and he simply could not hit. He cause no casualties. His Prime targeted my Archon, but my Shadow Field held. I struck back and killed two of his Warriors.

Turns 4-end of game:
The combat lasted a while, with the destruction of his Warriors occurring in the next combat, he tanked through save after save with his prime, but also failed to cause any casualties in turn. I brought his Prime to a single wound, him failing regeneration in all remaining turns, but my Agoniser refused to cause harm until eventually I pulled off a single wound with the Agoniser, ending the Primes life and securing my victory.

So there it is. It ended up being far more eventful then I had expected and I was ultimately happy with how the Splinter Racks performed in the one round I got to actually use them.

Tactical assessment:
- If possible, sink every Lance you can into Tyranid Warriors. Their Lashwhips take away our single main advantage in combat. I didn't really have that option, so an assault was pretty much all I could do, but if it were a larger points level and he had more of them, I would have been screwed.
- Splinter Racks are great and, despite being butchered almost immediately, so are 10-man Warrior squads. This unit did more in that turn than MSU Warriors have ever done for me before.

That's it for this game, considering the size, but it's still nice to learn something.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:50 am 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Remember the concept behind MSU warriors however.
36" vs 12" is a big deal.

I personally like full squads for larger point games, but for smaller point games, MSU is almost certainly better. You could easily have held back and strafed his army for most of the game. Sure, it's not as glorious as tabling your opponent, but it's considerably safer.

Last edited by Chief on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:42 pm 

I do like the 10 man warrior squads. I am a big fan of your list, interesting that you ran with the archon at such a low pt value :D. Yes, tyrannid warriors must die, the best way to do this is with str 8 weapons, lances and lots of them.

Grats on the game! pics next time ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:29 pm 

Chief wrote:
Remember the concept behind MSU warriors however.
36" vs 12" is a big deal.

I personally like full squads for larger point games, but for smaller point games, MSU is almost certainly better. You could easily have held back and strafed his army for mst of the game. Sure, it's not as glorious as tabling your opponent, but it's considerably safer.

Yeah I know. I just wanted to try some other things out, and it worked out for me anyway, so it wasn't all bad.

Skari wrote:
I do like the 10 man warrior squads. I am a big fan of your list, interesting that you ran with the archon at such a low pt value :D. Yes, tyrannid warriors must die, the best way to do this is with str 8 weapons, lances and lots of them.

Grats on the game! pics next time ?

Yep. Provided I don't forget my camera next time. Maybe I'll write a note on my hand about it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:15 am 

Zero wrote:
Yep. Provided I don't forget my camera next time. Maybe I'll write a note on my hand about it.

I'll remind you. You can take pics for both me and cones when we next go (unless if cones doesnt go) Cause ifs its ok I would like to do 1500pts if you have enough