It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:49 pm 
First post! Good job, now post more...

Like the tittle said I'm planning on starting a DE army. I'm thinking of getting a battle force and an archon. Is this a good start?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:06 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

You can always just build an archon out of Syberite parts (found with the Warriors) and one of the Raider's passengers, but otherwise, yes.

After the Battleforce, at least two Ravagers and either a couple of Venoms or a Raider, and a Haemonculus should be your next buy. The venoms are more expensive, but better in the short term, but in the end you will have both the venoms and the raider anyways, so it doesn't really matter.

From there, it really depends on what kind of build you want to pursue (though I suppose if you already know now that you are going for a Webway Portal list you can skip the Raider/Venoms and maybe even the Ravagers in favour of Haemonculi, Engines, and more bodies).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:11 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Best start is the codex, then you can decide what you'll use from proxies or asking us for advice for your lists around here. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:19 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Yeah. The battle force has lots of stuff that you'll use all the time. Grab the codex too if you haven't.

You may also want to check a series of posts I just finished geared towards newer DE players. It covers a bunch of stuff from weapons to the basics of tactics and can be adapted to fit any DE army.

Gl with your new army!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:06 am 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Read the codex first, plan your army, then buy the models. Don't make my mistake and end up with a lot of models you won't use.

DE: 8640pts/8420 painted llllllllll
Lots of other stuff yet to be painted.

DE WIP: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=76171
Terrain Log: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80134

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:57 am 

nappen wrote:
Read the codex first, plan your army, then buy the models. Don't make my mistake and end up with a lot of models you won't use.

I also did this (to a lesser degree). I currently have a Venom, an Archon and 5 Incubi that I won't use all that often. Although I do like to pull them out sometimes for fun, but more Hellions and Ravagers would have been better overall.

The Battleforce is always a great start, but I'd just convert your Archon and buy an Haemonculus instead. That way you'll get exactly what you were going to in the first place, as well as another extremely useful HQ and you'll probably be more proud of your Archon, considering you made him yourself, even if he looks bad (like my Baron Sathonyx :P ).

My awesome blog of awesomeness.