It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dark Eldar Airborne
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:56 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #9Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Hey all! I'm trying to find an effective way of using the fliers in our beloved Codex. I want to use as many of them as possible and work the rest of the list around that to make them as effective as possible.. Here's what I have for 2000 points.

HQ:
-x3 Haemonculi w/Liquifier and Venom Blade (65 per - 195)

EL:
-x2 Trueborn (4) with x4 Blasters in Venoms (173 per - 346)
-x1 Grotesques (4) with Ab with Flesh Gauntlet and Liquifier in Raider (250)

TR:
-x3 Warriors (5) with Blaster in Venoms (125 per - 375)

FA:
-x1 Reavers (3) with Cluster Caltrops (86)
-x2 Scourges (5) with x2 Haywire Blasters (130 per - 260)

HV:
-x1 Ravager (115)
-x2 Voidraven Bombers with x3 Shatterfield Missiles (185 per - 370)

At lower points levels, I'd drop a Voidraven in favor of another Ravager and drop the Reavers to get to around 1850. At higher points, I'd replace the Ravager with a Razorwing, add a 10-man Warrior squad in Raider, and add more Reavers and an Archon to get to around 2500.

Tell me what you think!

Post subject: Re: Dark Eldar Airborne
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:50 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

One unit of Scourges is enough, and you really don't need any more AI so the Reavers could do with a Heat Lance instead of the Caltrops.

The Grotesques should go for more troops hands down. Grots just aren't very good. They're one of like 4 units in the book that I would flat-out just suggest not taking at all, and you do need more troops badly.

Where were the other 2 Haemonculi going?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:24 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Actually, they're quite handy for dropping WWPs, as with T5, 3 wounds, and FNP, they're one of the few units in our codex that really just aren't going down easy.

As a straight-up combat unit however, I would have to agree that their statlines really don't make up for their price tag and Bulky.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:58 pm 

I've been looking at a couple different strategies about the Grots, and from what I can tell, they can be quite effective in a squad like that with a Haemonculus. I was thinking of Putting the other Haemi's in with the Scourges to give them a starting Pain Token to make them more survivable, but I may end up dropping the extra two Haemi's and throw in a fourth squad of Warriors in a Venom. If I drop the Scourges, then I think I'll turn two of those Warrior squads into two 10-man squads in Raiders instead of in Venoms for the extra Anti-Tank punch and troop survivability, but I'm not sure there either.

The thing about the Grots is the wounds and fire they'll soak up. There's 12 wounds in there with FNP, and clever deployment or running will give them cover, which is a 4+/4+ on a T5 unit (meaning high strength isn't going to ignore their FnP like with our other units). They also will have Furious Charge with the extra Haemi, which means they'll slam something at str6, which is wounding even Nids beasties on 4+'s. The idea, though, is to throw something beefy and unexpected to distract the enemy from the fliers so that the fliers get as many salvos of fire as possible. Normal small arms fire isn't going to affect the Grots, so they'll have to bring their AT to bear. That's where the Grots shine. Unless the opponent is Tau with nothing but Broadsides, those Grots are going to make the enemy fight for every one of those 12 wounds that they have.

I'm not just going to mathhammer it though. I'd like to run a few games with them to see how they go before I dismiss them entirely... I do agree that I need more troops though, but having only one Heat Lance on one Reaver doesn't seem quite worth it...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:14 pm 

Here's a slightly altered list here.. Less Heami to trade for more Troops.

HQ:
-x1 Haemonculi w/Shattershard and Venom Blade (70)

EL:
-x2 Trueborn (3) with x3 Blasters in Venoms (146 per - 292)
-x1 Grotesques (4) with Ab with Flesh Gauntlet and Liquifier in Raider (250)

TR:
-x4 Warriors (5) with Blaster in Venoms (125 per - 500)

FA:
-x1 Reavers (6) with x2 Heat Lance (156)

HV:
-x1 Ravager with Shock Prow (115)
-x2 Voidraven Bombers with x2 Shatterfield Missiles (175 per - 350)

Total: 1998

Also dropped some of the Trueborn to fill out the Reavers. Not quite sure which is better. The Trueborn and Reavers are essentially suicide squads. They're fragile and have to get up close to use their weapons... Not exactly what I want to be doing, but I've gotta make them effective. I could drop the Reavers entirely, but I'm loathe to do that after I painted a squad :P Also dropped the Shatterfield down to 2 per Voidraven.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:22 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Not sure which I'd go for, but I think dropping the other squad of trueborn for reavers is ok. Though both are short ranged units, their roles are a bit different. Because the reavers have eldar jetbikes, they can make another 6 inch move in the assault phase. This means if you're lucky you can just jump them back behind a wall once they're done their job, trueborn, not so much.

No idea why you're giving your ravager a shock prow. It should never be tank shocking at all unless you're absolutely desperate. Give it flickerfields before anything else, they're almost mandatory for any vehicle!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:34 pm 

Hedonismbot wrote:
Not sure which I'd go for, but I think dropping the other squad of trueborn for reavers is ok. Though both are short ranged units, their roles are a bit different. Because the reavers have eldar jetbikes, they can make another 6 inch move in the assault phase. This means if you're lucky you can just jump them back behind a wall once they're done their job, trueborn, not so much.

No idea why you're giving your ravager a shock prow. It should never be tank shocking at all unless you're absolutely desperate. Give it flickerfields before anything else, they're almost mandatory for any vehicle!

All the vehicles have FF factored into their cost, so all that's covered across the army at the very least. The Shock Prow was literally... what do I do with these 5 points?

Also, after some help from other forums, the list I've decided to playtest first is this:

HQ:
-x1 Haemonculi w/Liquifier and Venom Blade (65)

EL:
-x2 Trueborn (4) with x4 Blasters in Venoms (173 per - 346)
-x1 Grotesques (4) with Ab with Scissorhand and Liquifier in Raider (245)

TR:
-x3 Warriors (5) with Blaster in Venoms (125 per - 375)
-x2 Warriors (5) with Blaster in Raider (130 per - 260)

FA:

HV:
-x1 Ravager (115)
-x2 Voidraven Bombers with Night Shields (165 per - 330)

Total: 1996

I dropped the Reavers. I love the model, I love the bladevanes attacks, but they're just not effective in a competitive setting where they're just an easy suicide Kill Point. I sacrificed them in order to fit in two squads of Warriors in Raiders, which should help me get objectives grabbed later in the game. With those, I actually increase my anti-tank capabilities with two more Dark Lances on the field. I also give the Aberration Scissorhands, which, because of his normal close combat weapon, gives him +2 attacks on his profile. With the Haemi, that's a total of 6 Str 6 Initiative 5 attacks on the charge (with Furious Charge) which is a little better than the 4+ poison attacks (granted, they would insta-gib, but in my meta I'd rather force more saves.)

The Night Shields on the VR Bombers is just a little bit more survivability. -6 inches to enemy ranged attacks will make it frustrating, especially since the model is higher up off the table. That makes the 36" Void Lances equivalent to any 42" lascannons or what have you that might be on the table. It's not much, but I can't really see a use for 20 points elsewhere in the army :P

I'll try to playtest this list soon and tell you all how I do!