It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: What should I buy?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:23 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

For some it's just a category, for others a philosophy!
It increases your kill points total and reduces how much damage it takes from your opponent to gain each individual KP, but might make the unit easier to hide or get cover for, and allows more targetting freedom and weapon options (2 X 5 warriors units allows for 2 blasters which you can't get in a single unit of 10 for example).
It makes your opponent waste shots if his shooting is massed in larger units and tries to focus on your smaller units.
Your units will start taking leadership tests earlier than in larger units too, and some see this as "they're toughness 3 anyways so they were going down soon anyways" or "I have less guys running off the board than if the squad was bigger".
Larger squads have their positive sides too, and a mix could be decent depending on your list.
Some units lend themselves better to a certain style than others.
MSU warriors are pretty sweet, three reavers with a heatlance... incubi are commonly use in smaller numbers with an archon (although some do stand by their larger incubi squad choices) but hellions in very small numbers arn't all that great for example.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:27 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Generally speaking, large squads are your damage dealers, and small squads are your support units.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:04 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Got it.

Def a trade off to consider. One small blast template or even minimally successful shooting can cause you to run. On the other hand a large blast makes little difference.

In my limited play, I have not had success with small warrior units, but fairly good success with small reavers, incubi, wracks etc. I am going to try out a giant (20) warrior unit this weekend. Hoping for just one chance to use 40 poisioned shots. Hoping the terrain includes a building or some suitable cover.

DE: 8640pts/8420 painted llllllllll
Lots of other stuff yet to be painted.

DE WIP: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=76171
Terrain Log: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80134

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:10 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

If you really insist on using large squads of warriors on foot to see how different it is than 10 in a raider, I would have to suggest a few things.
Give them some lances, find them some cover, keep them in that cover if at all possible, and attach a haemy.
Also.. you wanna keep them from getting charged, having something fast and mean in assaults nearby might help either prevent assaults, assault units closing in, or counter charge units that actually manage to sneak their way in.
Otherwise, I'd stick to warriors in transports, unless you're going for some sort of dark footdar theme like Zero's thread here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=73914&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Notice his sybarites don't have any melee and has three haemies in the list, there's a good reason for those. :P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:32 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

something wrote:
You guys asked for it, so here it is. Here is my 1000pt list.

Baron: ***

Haemonculus: **

4 trueborn w/ blasters: 108

Venom w/ additional splinter cannon: 65

10 wyches w/ Hekatrix with an agoniser, and 2 shardnets: 150

Raider w/ flickerfield: 70

13 hellions: 208

Ravager w/ flickerfield: 115

Ravager w/ flickerfield: 115

Total: 986

This is the list that I am working towards, so now that you see it, do your opinions change as to what I should buy. Also could you give me some advice on my list.

Hahaha, sounds like what I suggested for you is pretty much perfect!

I also agree with Chief on the Trueborn.

My awesome blog of awesomeness.