It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: What should I buy?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:09 pm 
Offline
Bronze Vault Member

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:50 am
Posts: 592
Location: Ottawa Ontario
It have finally decided to start the greatest army in 40k history........Sisters of Battle!!! But seriously I am starting a Dark Eldar army, and am wondering what I should buy first. I currently own a squad of ten kabalite warriors, a squad of five hellions, and the codex. I will have roughly $200 to spend. I want to have at least one large squad of hellions being supported by some scourges with haywire blasters, some ravagers, some trueborn in venoms, and some wyches in raiders. So what should I get with to start my army?

_________________
I hate you forever now-Clabbage
Also, check out my Hunger Games Rpg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should I buy?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:11 pm 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:18 pm
Posts: 717
Location: stabbing orks
Pick up the battle force and an hq of your choosing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should I buy?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:20 pm 
Offline
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 1278
The battleforce is a good deal for the money compared to buying everything individually and chances are you'll be making use of everything inside.
Chances are the only thing you might not use is the reavers.. but you can always trade or sell em if you try them out and fill your fast attack with other things.
Hope you have as much fun with it as I do. :)

_________________
Fear is pain arising from the anticipation of evil. - Aristotle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should I buy?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:19 pm 
Offline
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 am
Posts: 7973
Location: Wollongong, Australia
I've got to disagree with both the above posts. The first one really seems like a general statement, not a Dark Eldar specific one and I'm not even sure if mmdehart plays Dark Eldar or not. If you do, I apologise, but the lack of detail and never having seen you post in this section before lead me to my conclusion.

The reason I disagree is because you already have 10 Warriors. Unless you know that you're running 2 units of 10 Warriors, having 20 is pretty pointless, and then if you don't know if you'd use the Reavers, you're going to be wasting your money.

What I suggest you get next is an Haemonculus, two more boxes of Hellions, a Ravager and then either one Raider or two Venoms depending on whether you want to run your Warriors as full squads or MSU. The MSU is considered more competitive, but it's really down to what you personally prefer. I, for one, am a fan of the Raider Warriors as opposed to the Venom Warriors, but that is just me.

With that you'll want to convert one Hellion into Baron Sathonyx, give the Ravager 3 Dark Lances and convert the guys that hang off of the side of the Ravager (and Raider if you get it) into your Trueborn.

I assume you want Blasterborn (4 Trueborn in a Venom with 4 Blasters)? If so, you'll want to convert your Shredders into Blasters too. You can do this by cutting off the head of the Shredder and the head off the Blast Pistol, and gluing the Blast Pistol head onto the Shredder body.

You won't really want to add the Trueborn until around 1500 points, so don't worry if you can't make them all straight away, and just slowly build them up.

With the list of stuff I gave you, you should be able to run a fairly solid list at smaller points levels. Start the Haemonculus with the Hellions by the way.

You next purchase should at least be another Ravager. 2 of them are pretty much required.

_________________
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should I buy?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:10 pm 
Offline
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 1278
He never said he didn't want to use warriors, although he did specify trueborn.
I figured if he'd want both, the extra warriors wouldn't hurt.
Especially if he plans on filling a raider with warriors instead of going MSU venoms.
We can't assume he'll use 20 warriors like you can't assume he'll use 10.
The real problem here is a lack of info, as we know what he wants to use but not what he doesn't.
Having the codex means you can make lists and post them here.
We'll give our critiques about em and help boost it's competitiveness if that's what you want.
You can even set limits like "I don't like units of X so please don't include them in changes" and so on, and we'll know what to look at changing.
(this is mainly for those who don't care as much about winning as using the units they like who might not be the more effective choices)
Try out some proxies and get to know what you want and you can make your own informed choices at that point if money is an issue.
If you plan on getting lots of everything and money isn't that big an issue, then it's alot simpler to get started earlier.

_________________
Fear is pain arising from the anticipation of evil. - Aristotle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should I buy?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:50 pm 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:18 pm
Posts: 717
Location: stabbing orks
I played 4th edition DE never got around to 5th
Zero wrote:
I've got to disagree with both the above posts. The first one really seems like a general statement, not a Dark Eldar specific one and I'm not even sure if mmdehart plays Dark Eldar or not. If you do, I apologise, but the lack of detail and never having seen you post in this section before lead me to my conclusion.

The reason I disagree is because you already have 10 Warriors. Unless you know that you're running 2 units of 10 Warriors, having 20 is pretty pointless, and then if you don't know if you'd use the Reavers, you're going to be wasting your money.

What I suggest you get next is an Haemonculus, two more boxes of Hellions, a Ravager and then either one Raider or two Venoms depending on whether you want to run your Warriors as full squads or MSU. The MSU is considered more competitive, but it's really down to what you personally prefer. I, for one, am a fan of the Raider Warriors as opposed to the Venom Warriors, but that is just me.

With that you'll want to convert one Hellion into Baron Sathonyx, give the Ravager 3 Dark Lances and convert the guys that hang off of the side of the Ravager (and Raider if you get it) into your Trueborn.

I assume you want Blasterborn (4 Trueborn in a Venom with 4 Blasters)? If so, you'll want to convert your Shredders into Blasters too. You can do this by cutting off the head of the Shredder and the head off the Blast Pistol, and gluing the Blast Pistol head onto the Shredder body.

You won't really want to add the Trueborn until around 1500 points, so don't worry if you can't make them all straight away, and just slowly build them up.

With the list of stuff I gave you, you should be able to run a fairly solid list at smaller points levels. Start the Haemonculus with the Hellions by the way.

You next purchase should at least be another Ravager. 2 of them are pretty much required.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should I buy?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:49 am 
Offline
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 am
Posts: 7973
Location: Wollongong, Australia
ShredRig wrote:
He never said he didn't want to use warriors, although he did specify trueborn.
I figured if he'd want both, the extra warriors wouldn't hurt.
Especially if he plans on filling a raider with warriors instead of going MSU venoms.
We can't assume he'll use 20 warriors like you can't assume he'll use 10.
The real problem here is a lack of info, as we know what he wants to use but not what he doesn't.
Having the codex means you can make lists and post them here.
We'll give our critiques about em and help boost it's competitiveness if that's what you want.
You can even set limits like "I don't like units of X so please don't include them in changes" and so on, and we'll know what to look at changing.
(this is mainly for those who don't care as much about winning as using the units they like who might not be the more effective choices)
Try out some proxies and get to know what you want and you can make your own informed choices at that point if money is an issue.
If you plan on getting lots of everything and money isn't that big an issue, then it's alot simpler to get started earlier.

I never said he didn't want to use Warriors either, but he already has 10 and I said that chances are he probably won't use anymore. In a Hellion list, there are rarely points available for more than 10 Warriors as well as all of your other things, so unless he knows that he will use 20 Warriors, the Battleforce just isn't a worthwhile purchase. There's no point in buying a box of something thinking "I don't have a huge budget, but I might use these guys, so I'll buy them anyway." He's better off buying things that he's certain he'll use now.

Even for Trueborn, the extra Warriors aren't needed because he can easily convert Trueborn out of the guys on the Ravagers, and chances are he'll be using 2, if not 3, and probably at least one Raider, which provides more than enough guys for two units of Blasterborn. The only issue is actually getting the Blasters.

I should also say that, from experience, not having some Warriors in a Hellion list isn't exactly an ideal option.

_________________
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should I buy?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:15 pm 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:48 am
Posts: 4601
Location: Toronto, Ontario
mmdehart wrote:
I played 4th edition DE never got around to 5th
Zero wrote:
I've got to disagree with both the above posts. The first one really seems like a general statement, not a Dark Eldar specific one and I'm not even sure if mmdehart plays Dark Eldar or not. If you do, I apologise, but the lack of detail and never having seen you post in this section before lead me to my conclusion.

The reason I disagree is because you already have 10 Warriors. Unless you know that you're running 2 units of 10 Warriors, having 20 is pretty pointless, and then if you don't know if you'd use the Reavers, you're going to be wasting your money.

What I suggest you get next is an Haemonculus, two more boxes of Hellions, a Ravager and then either one Raider or two Venoms depending on whether you want to run your Warriors as full squads or MSU. The MSU is considered more competitive, but it's really down to what you personally prefer. I, for one, am a fan of the Raider Warriors as opposed to the Venom Warriors, but that is just me.

With that you'll want to convert one Hellion into Baron Sathonyx, give the Ravager 3 Dark Lances and convert the guys that hang off of the side of the Ravager (and Raider if you get it) into your Trueborn.

I assume you want Blasterborn (4 Trueborn in a Venom with 4 Blasters)? If so, you'll want to convert your Shredders into Blasters too. You can do this by cutting off the head of the Shredder and the head off the Blast Pistol, and gluing the Blast Pistol head onto the Shredder body.

You won't really want to add the Trueborn until around 1500 points, so don't worry if you can't make them all straight away, and just slowly build them up.

With the list of stuff I gave you, you should be able to run a fairly solid list at smaller points levels. Start the Haemonculus with the Hellions by the way.

You next purchase should at least be another Ravager. 2 of them are pretty much required.


I'm gonna with Zero's response to your reply here.

No offense intended, but things have changed a good deal since you played them, especially if you played the old book before the current edition.

Fun fact, the old DE codex isn't even from 4th ed, it's from the very beginning of 3rd ed. Yeah, 12 years between updates hooray!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should I buy?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:42 pm 
Offline
Bronze Vault Member

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:50 am
Posts: 592
Location: Ottawa Ontario
You guys asked for it, so here it is. Here is my 1000pt list.

Baron: ***

Haemonculus: **

4 trueborn w/ blasters: 108

Venom w/ additional splinter cannon: 65

10 wyches w/ Hekatrix with an agoniser, and 2 shardnets: 150

Raider w/ flickerfield: 70

13 hellions: 208

Ravager w/ flickerfield: 115

Ravager w/ flickerfield: 115

Total: 986

This is the list that I am working towards, so now that you see it, do your opinions change as to what I should buy. Also could you give me some advice on my list.

_________________
I hate you forever now-Clabbage
Also, check out my Hunger Games Rpg


Last edited by something on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should I buy?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:09 pm 
Offline
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 1278
Yeah the battleforce would be unwise with a goal like that.
You shouldn't post points costs of individual models (like you did with the haemy here). It's funny that you'd leave out the baron's points but not his cause you did think of it. :P
If you need to save points for something extra, don't worry about reducing your wych unit by one or two members even if you lose out on a wych weapon.
Even with the current 14 free points you have there's upgrades you could have gotten... we can do alot with 5/10 points.

_________________
Fear is pain arising from the anticipation of evil. - Aristotle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should I buy?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:11 pm 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:48 am
Posts: 4601
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Looks good. You even have enough points to give your haemonculi a liquifier gun should you choose.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should I buy?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:13 pm 
Offline
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 1278
It'd an extremely rare occasion that my lists have 5 or more points left over. I don't even know if it'd be possible for that to happen to me.

_________________
Fear is pain arising from the anticipation of evil. - Aristotle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should I buy?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:19 pm 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 4245
Location: Toronto, Ontario
I would advise against Trueborn in a Hellion list.
Their role is already largely filled by the Hellions (providing those extra anti-tank shots) and the high cost of both units will take up a good chunk of points from your support units.

You can replace these with either the Scourges (to aid in supression), a pair of Venoms and your Warriors (to get more bodies on the field), or another Ravager (to add more punch) or some combination of the three (stripping points elsewhere of course).

A good place to find points might be your Wych squad. For a 1000 point game, seven of them should be enough to lock down anything your opponent can put down on the field, buying time for your Hellions to disengage their current target and help with clean-up (I'm assuming that this is what you want them to do, based on their equipment?).

_________________
To be continued...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should I buy?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:12 pm 
Offline
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:17 pm
Posts: 6011
Location: Clarksville, TN
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Zero wrote:

What I suggest you get next is an Haemonculus, two more boxes of Hellions, a Ravager and then either one Raider or two Venoms depending on whether you want to run your Warriors as full squads or MSU. The MSU is considered more competitive, but it's really down to what you personally prefer. I, for one, am a fan of the Raider Warriors as opposed to the Venom Warriors, but that is just me.



Okay, my ignorance is showing. MSU?

_________________
Everyday is better than the next...

DE: 7215pts/6311 painted llllllllll
Lots of other stuff yet to be painted.

DE WIP: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=76171
Terrain Log: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80134


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What should I buy?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:39 pm 
Offline
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 4245
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Multiple Small Units

eg. taking two squads of 5 warriors vs taking one squad of 10

_________________
To be continued...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group