It is currently Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Azeebo Vs Newcastle GW
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:01 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Hey guys

So, i was in Games Workshop today and i picked up some paints for my girl friend and then thought: WAIT A MINUTE! I have brought my new Eldar today! FANTASTIC! So, i opened my case and let the world gawk at the wonders my large black box held. Within it came death and destruction.

So, i had 3 games and i can say i had some moderate success. A true eldar day, for every eldar killed entire armies were destroyed. So, lets get cracking shall we?

My List:

HQ

Farseer

Fortune

10 Warlocks
10 Destructors
Wave Serpent
Twin Linked Shuriken Cannons

Troops

10 Guardians
Bright Lance

10 Guardians
Bright Lance

10 Guardians
Bright Lance

10 Storm Guardians
Destructor Warlock
2 Flamers
Wave serpent

10 Storm Guardians
Destructor Warlock
2 Flamers
Wave serpent

Fast Attack

3 Vyper Jet Bikes
Shuriken Cannon
Hull Mounted Shuriken Cannon

3 Vyper Jet Bikes
Shuriken Cannon

3 Vyper Jet Bikes
Shuriken Cannon

Heavy Support

3 War Walkers
6 Scatter Lasers

Wraithlord
EML
Bright Lance

Wraithlord
EML
Bright Lance

2500 Points

Battle One

Ulthwe Vs Space Marines

The game was Capture and control. I convinced my opponent to let me deploy first. I placed 10 guardians + my avatar on my objective located in the far left corner of my table edge. To cause confusion i set up my vypers and serpents dead centre, behind some terrain (the terrain was dead centre of the board, so i was only really blocked from the front). I set them up in the following Formation:
W
V V V
w V V V W
V V V

My lords were set up on the extreme RIGHT of my board edge and everything else was held in reserve. My opponent, rather startled by the giant array of tanks, and not understanding my WIDE deployment deployed to counter me. He had most his army hidden out of view of my tanks. set up a lot of his infantry at his objective with a dreadnought and had 1 squad facing my guardians as well as a rhino chilling just facing my wraithlords with Kantor sitting nicely inside with some vanguards. Interestingly, his objective was not in cover.

He failed to steal the iniative and my plan sprang into motion. My farseer fortuned his wave serpent and turbo boosted towards the objective with the second serpent close by. My 3rd serpent flew straight a head to engage the centre of the board. My wraith lords moved forward (he had little High S firepower on their side, so i wasnt to bothered) and fired at the dreadnought however, nothing happened and his attack bike with meltas, instant killing him. My Vypers used my Swarm method and moved as if in a single squadron. My opponent asked me on several occasions if they were actually a single squad. The open fired and eradicated his entire left flank taking out his space marines in the building and causing another squad of marines to actually flee off the board. He hadnt quite grasped my plan at this point.

His turn was uneventful. His men fired at my serpents, and managed to pop the transport than held storm guardians with plasma to the rear. None of the died from the wreck and snipers failed to wound them. He attempted to take on the lords with his dread, however his assault cannon did nothing. His rhino moved up to face the lords (expecting kantor to kill them). Standard marines followed close by.

As the turns continued my storm guardian flamed some assault marines, assaulted and wiped them out., my vypers completely took out the left flank and the centre, my war walkers came on the flank and my seer council flamered 20 marines + kantor racking up over 100 hits and wiped both squads out. My lords assaulted the dread destroying it and i captured his objective. Turn 4 came around and i lost a guardian and his army had collapsed. As he looked upon the battlefield he noticed i pincered him. I had serpents, lords and walkers on 1 side and 9 vypers on the other with a HUGE piece of terrain blocking escape. He was literally trapped in a box. I won losing 1 serpent and a single guardian. He had lost his objective and his army.

Battle 2

Ulthwe Vs Imperial Guard with Grey Knights

An uneventful battle, my army deployed, he deployed i fired, did nothing. He fired, did nothing then he gave up. I was genuinely gob smacked. This guy is my FAVORITE opponent. The only person ever to give me hassle in my endless string of victories. I was disappointed and rather hurt lol.

Battle 3

Ulthwe Vs Space Marines and Space Wolves

The guy from game 1 came back with vengeance! He had brought a friend and i used my already deployed army from last game. He warned his mate of my pincer movement and deployed to stop it. Aka, lots of Deep Striking Reserves and spreading lines thin (essentially the same thing). I deployed almost the same, managing to get 3 of the 5 objectives onto 1 bit of terrain and stacking 30 guardians, 2 lords (in the open) and an avatar their. My vypers on the far flank in the exact same formation as battle one (in the exact same position). Shrike and his squad infiltrated in hoping to take on my lords. Turn 1, the lords moved up, assaulted and killed the entire squad. Well, thats a lie. They killed shrike and most his squad whom ran away and never regrouped as my lords followed them ^_^ The vypers started their wasp swarm technique and took down a a predator from the side and a devastator squad. Serpents moved in with storm guardians heading to the former devastators (who were at an objective) and the others heading to help the lords. They responded by wounding both lords once (lots of heavy bolters).

My vypers initiated the pincer killing a ton of marines as my war walkers came on and ripped apart another devastator squad whilst my lords followed shrike and killed a dreadnought along the way. Much to their dismay, not a single reserve came in for them. They did manage to plasma 1 lord to death however.

The game continued and it seemed they might get the upper hand. I had destroyed their entire army and held all thier objectives by turn 3. However, reserves did drop in and terminators (5 space wolf with priest) and 5 standard as well as 20 assault marines and some vanguard.

My retaliation was desperate. They were at all my key objectives (which were only guarded by guardians!). My war walkers moved up wiping out 1 squad of vanguard, the council disembarked and flamered all the assault marines, the vypers flew in and fired at the wolf termies and wiped them all out. My avatar charged into the standard termies expecting to die, however i killed 3 of them and took only 1 wound back! HUZZAH! They struck back destroying 1 vyper squadron and further wounding my avatar. Unfortunately for them they were mopped up turn 4 by the vypers, walkers and avatar. They were kicking themselves because they KNEW they did the same mistakes as last time. Throughout my day i lost the following LIVING eldar: 1 guardian, 1 storm guardian and a warlock. As payment i completely wiped out 3 armies ^_^ Not a bad day i must say.

So, i have play tested my army and it seems to work fine. Better than fine. I cant wait for nids to see how they fair against true torrent of fire. Im hoping for some great results ^_^. I can also say that i could have won those 2 games above with just a seer council, lords and vypers. Nothing else did anything MAJOR at all. Oh well ^_^

What you think then guys?

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:29 pm 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge
Pretty awesome I must say, Eldar are a tricky army like that. All their tanks being able to go 24", they are a cool army.

"I nuke posts like it's 2012"-Asrodrig

Visit my Youtube channel: Lootaful
Yeah Loota was taken.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:22 pm 

Most people cant visualize that 24" range for movement and are shocked when you move from 1 end of the board to the other in 1 fell swoop lol

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:26 pm 

Azeebo wrote:
Most people cant visualize that 24" range for movement and are shocked when you move from 1 end of the board to the other in 1 fell swoop lol

I know, it's great isn't it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:53 pm 

A feature few armies share.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:11 pm 

Location: I sleep on the MWG floor, curled up with my mini's.
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Have we seen any pics of your Eldar yet?

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

And that is why Kharn was cut from the original cast of Puttin' on the Ritz.

Eldar - 8000-ish
Space Marine - 1500+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:41 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Vypers Failed to be shot down @ 2500 points?

What the *BLEEP*? lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:48 pm 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge
I know I don't get how they did not kill like anything.

"I nuke posts like it's 2012"-Asrodrig

Visit my Youtube channel: Lootaful
Yeah Loota was taken.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:40 am 

Well you did say you lost a Vyper Squadron in the last paragraph, but did not list them in the casualties. You also lost a transport... How 10 Guardians at T3 and 5+ save managed to not take a wound from 10 S4 hits... Your dice must be blessed. That should have killed half the squad and forced a pinning test and panic test. You must have played against complete Noobs that messed up their armies, their rolls, and their strategies to kill that little. At 2500 points they should have done something.

How did you pick out an assault bike... I thought they were part of a Biker Squad? You mean to tell me he had something like 60 full 10 man SM tactical squads with likely missile launchers or Lascannon and flamers and did not do anything to those Guardians. He didn't put missile launchers in those drop pods... when he dropped them near your objectives. Those missiles should have messed up your Guardians too.

But yes a fast Eldar army is a pain to deal with. You always move 12" minimum so no ground troops can take you out, drop the troops at the beginning of the movement phase so both can move and start tank shocking. Just be careful as a Sargent can take a Power Fist and Terminators can have Chain Fists.

I can not field a 2500 Eldar army right now as I do not have enough core troops to fill it out and a lot of my other unit types are only half units. Orks on the other hand... I could probably fields 2-3 2500 point armies. I figured he would have had Terminators in Land Raiders and a Master of the Forge (I think) so he could use Dreadnought as heavy and put those in drop pods only... and keep them clumped together. Put all his SM in Rinos and if he still wanted a Bike Squad grenade launchers are fun. For Orks I could have fun. I could have a nice Nob unit in a Trukk, 2 SAG, 3 Looted Wagons with Boom Guns, 102 Ork Boyz with 5 Nobz with Power Klaws and 10 Rokkits, one Warbike unit with Nob and 2 Stormboy units with Nobz. The guardians could not take the Boyz or Stormboyz and the Nob unit would walk through everything including an Avatar. Any of the units could make life hard for the Vypers, but likely the Boomguns would rain down death on them. Guardians don't stand a chance against Ork Boyz. The transports would be harder to crack open, but eventually a Rokkit or a unit will pop them.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:13 am 

I am aware that the report was hastily done.

The attack bike was by himself. I dont know if its legal, i also dont really care, but thats how it was.

My guardians constantly went to ground to get 3+ cover saves. They would never run my avatar was alway within 12" as my avatar only moved once in 3 games and that was to mop up teriminators.

My vypers survived because they were obsessed with killing wraithlords. They failed tbh, but thats life for you. Also because my vypers specifically went down the weakest flank wiping out that before swooping down his board edge killing everything. He had lascannons and what not, but they were ALL fired at my lords. Same goes for the plasma

Guardians were 48" as well lol.

My vypers were not listed in casualties because they arent infantry :P The crew might have survived but the vehicle didnt. It is open topped.

I dont have a camera Joe, so i cant take a pic. I will try and get a cheap one just for you.

Anything else?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:17 pm 

I asked my brother about the attack bike as he just got one. They can be in a unit of warbikes or a separate unit of 1-3 Assault Bikes.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:58 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Attack Bikes can be part of normal Biker units or separate, but adding them to normal bikes is what I'm planning on doing.

But hey, I can't believe a club can't manage Vypers @ 2500 =/ Vypers are fragile man, poor target priority and such.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:16 am 

Poor deployment. Every game (apart from my 2nd opponent..who gave up) they stretched their lines thin. My vypers were dead centre, and i thought: Well, may as well hit the weakest side. So i did and it crushed them with overwhelming fire power. It happens i guess. That and 9 in a single swarm of death is apparently intimidating. They didnt want to engage them and wanted to kill everything else so they were stranded.................REALLY bad plan. This they were destroyed, Mercilessly :P