Suicide Ethreals Viable or Not?

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Slayer189
Now we're getting somewhere...

Suicide Ethreals Viable or Not?

Postby Slayer189 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:40 am

I hate to say it but Suicide Ethreals seems to be one of the most potent tactics we now have at our disposal. I have used it a few times once at 1000pts and again at 3000pts. Both times the person i was playing with face-palmed. The first time I just left it out in the open and it got shot down turn one. I then proceed to table him buy turn 3 with all the re-rolls. The second I actually had to chase down a unit of terminators and throw it at them(he had learned my dirty trick). But the proceed to pace a turn 4-5 tabling.

Corpsey
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Re: Suicide Ethreals Viable or Not?

Postby Corpsey » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:29 am

no one ran away?
The Rule Monkey is always right. Always.

Slayer189

Postby Slayer189 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:37 am

In the 3000pnts game out of 15 units i had a unit of fire warriors, a unit of pathfinders and a unit of broadsides run. Of those three I regrouped the broadsides and path finders and lost the fire wariors. But was able to take down the majority of a group of sanguinary guard on my way off the board. In the 1000pnt game i passed all of the moral tests.

Corpsey

Postby Corpsey » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:47 am

Hopefully you had a shas'o, so that the ethereal won't auto-steal the warlord status.

BewareOfTom
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Postby BewareOfTom » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:51 am

so, does the ethereal dying give everyone (well all tau units) preferred enemy (after they pass morale)? Not too bad I guess, but would need more bonding knives and a shas'o like corpsey said, but now that PE effects shooting I think its worth it :P

too bad its only reroll 1's now, but atleast its for to wound and to hit :D
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

Slayer189

Postby Slayer189 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:42 pm

Corpsey wrote:Hopefully you had a shas'o, so that the ethereal won't auto-steal the warlord status.

Yes always have a second HQ seeing as the ethreal is a throw away.
BewareOfTom wrote:so, does the ethereal dying give everyone (well all tau units) preferred enemy (after they pass morale)? Not too bad I guess, but would need more bonding knives and a shas'o like corpsey said, but now that PE effects shooting I think its worth it :P

too bad its only reroll 1's now, but atleast its for to wound and to hit :D

It happens regardless of the pass/fail of the moral test. Your units just have to take it so they need to be out of transports and on the board.

Corpsey

Postby Corpsey » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:49 pm

Well, you're going to need another HQ regardless because Commanders are 1+, meaning they are mandatory.

In this particular case though it would generally be a good idea to not have a suicide HQ be the warlord, because then you are losing out on the benefits of whatever trait you rolled, and the enemy will be getting a victory point for something you want to have happen anyway.

In order for the Ethereal to not be the warlord, you'll need another HQ with a leadership equal to or higher than that of the Ethereal. Only the Shas'O qualifies.

Return to “Xenos Races”