It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where to go next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:51 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Hello Tau players! I just came back after taking about a year's time off from 40k, and decided to start a new army. My first army was Orks, so I decided to go with the opposite of a big assault army: A shooty one. And I decided on Tau because they look cool and not very many people play them. So far I got 30 fire warriors I snagged off ebay and a couple of Devilfish are on their way in the mail as I type this. I'm asking you, warriors of the Greater Good, for advice on where to go next. Obviously I need an HQ to make it a legal army, what one would you recommend? Then after that? I've heard broadsides are quite killy and pack a lot of dakk- I mean firepower. So, feel free to leave comments and advice down below, for the Greater Good!

Skragskull's Silva Slayas - Orks, ~1500 pts.

Post subject: Re: Where to go next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:21 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Well normally I would suggest getting a battalion or two but you seem to have the major parts bar the Kroot and Crisis suits, so those would probably be your next step as you need the HQ (don't get the commander box, the metal heads and weapons are not worth it right now so just get the normal box and give him a nice paint job) and Kroot make good bubble wrap for your suits and vehicles. After that the next step is mostly XV8 and XV88 suits as well as a hammerhead or two (get the Skyray box it has all the parts to make all three vehicles for the VAB chassis).
Next you'll need a source of marker lights, this is where preference starts to take hold as you have three sources: Pathfinders (economical, and good if you want more tough vehicles on the board, but soft and squishy); Stealth Suit markerlight teams (Expensive but tough-ish and hard to eliminate at range); and now thanks to the lads at Forge World Tetras!! (cheap, better BS and can move and fire, but AV 10 makes them easy targets, and yes they are chapter approved just have the PDF update on hand should your opponents object). Piranhas and other things to taste after that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:40 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I agree with everything mentioned above except for the source of the markerlights.

Stealth Suits while effective are just as easily devoured as anything else. They really are not as untouchable as you might think despite the belief. I've tried using them and found them to be utterly useless as they are quite the target and an easy one at that despite their stealth field generator. By the time you get close enough to actually exploit anything other than a markerlight they are already destroyed. As for Tetra, I have no clue. However, I am well aware of how squishy armor 10 vehicles can be provided I also play the Eldar with Walkers. While they may be a valued choice I can imagine that some game circles will not allow them because they are not GW pieces. Obviously they are not tournament legal being from FW.

I highly suggest getting pathfinders. For larger games two squads of eight but two squads of four are decent enough as well. This is why I believe Pathfinders to be the better choice. Not only are you capable of placing them somewhere and then finding out that you may have placed them slightly different if you had deployed second they are provided with a scout movement. Now, if you don't need your scout movement check out the Devilfish. How about being able to deepstrike your battlesuits let's say 12 in a large game with 3 elite units and 1 hq with a body guard and being able to re roll the scatter merely because the Devilfish has line of sight to that particular area. You may not think this is very important because a lot of people don't deepstrike their battlesuits these days but it is an invaluable tool against players who enjoy charging forward to try and gain the advantage like Dark Eldar.

Just some things to keep in mind. Ultimately the decision is yours.

"It saddens me greatly that we must take arms against the peoples of the galaxy. By their deaths, they deny themselves the liberation that is only to be found in total surrender to the Greater Good. " - Aun'va, Master of the Undyng Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:04 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Correction, they are tournament legal, as the PDF update makes them GW Chapter approved, the TO would have to say specifically no Forgeworld in order to ban Tetras.
The PDF simply suggest that you have a copy of it with you as your opponents may not be familiar with the unit.
Found here first page, second paragraph.