It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:44 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
I wasn't really fond of my previous 1000 point list for various reasons:
A)it wasn't very liked by the community
B)I don't want to purchase a 1000 point army and then have the codex make it worth 500 or just stupid.
C)I'm happy with having a 750 point army list so i can grow it when the new codex comes out.

So here's my 500 point list, unchanged.

HQ
Shas’el- Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Multi-tracker

Fast Attack
Piranha: Fusion Blaster

Troops
Fire Warriors (x6): 6 pulse rifles
Fire Warriors (x6): 6 pulse carbines
-1 Devilfish

Heavy Support
Hammerhead: Railgun, burst cannons

here's my 750 list, built off the 500. I like this build, it feels awesome IMO

HQ
Shas’el- Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Multi-tracker

Elites
crisis suits(x1): burst cannon, plasma rifle, multi-tracker
crisis suits(x1): burst cannon, plasma rifle, multi-tracker
Stealth suits (x3): Targetting array, fusion blaster

Fast Attack
Piranha: Fusion Blaster

Troops
Fire Warriors (x6): 6 pulse rifles
Fire Warriors (x6): 6 pulse carbines
-1 Devilfish: flechette discharger

Heavy Support
Hammerhead: Railgun, burst cannons

I face an equal amount of hordes and marines, so the suits will be "jack of all trades" and be able to counter both types. I might combine them into one unit if I wish.

Is this a solid 750 points list?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:34 am 
Gold Vault Member

First off... 750 pts, you got 9 kill point. A lot of lists will have 6 and lower at that amount of pts.
You got stealthsuits, no mandatory disruption pods and last burst cannons on suits. Only 1 railgun when over 500 pts...

Swarms will eat your face. you got 3 plasma shots and 1 railgun shot... most transports will be in range of assault when they get pop'd if they do get pop'd.
No it is not a solid list. Not a horrible one, it is hard to make a horrible one at that points range...

if you want those stealthsuits, have them be target lock, target lock, targetting array(fusion blaster) so you don't totally waste those shots. Better yet, keep em on that shelf. Why? Typically they will fire once then die. Bring that in pulse rifles FW, you fire twice or thrice for the amount of pts and they are scoring.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:21 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
potato32 wrote:
First off... 750 pts, you got 9 kill point. A lot of lists will have 6 and lower at that amount of pts.
You got stealthsuits, no mandatory disruption pods and last burst cannons on suits. Only 1 railgun when over 500 pts...

Swarms will eat your face. you got 3 plasma shots and 1 railgun shot... most transports will be in range of assault when they get pop'd if they do get pop'd.
No it is not a solid list. Not a horrible one, it is hard to make a horrible one at that points range...

if you want those stealthsuits, have them be target lock, target lock, targetting array(fusion blaster) so you don't totally waste those shots. Better yet, keep em on that shelf. Why? Typically they will fire once then die. Bring that in pulse rifles FW, you fire twice or thrice for the amount of pts and they are scoring.

1)it could be 8 KP if I join the two suits
2)K, I'll add pods I guess....
3)I actually have 9 plasma shots and a Railgun. In my group of friends, transports are RARE, so I will only need one Railgun shot.
4)Now, I don't understand what you want me to do with Stealth suits. If i give one target lock, I have to give all of them target lock. If I give one Targetting array, I have to give all of them Targetting array. And I don't really understand why target lock is any good. :|
5)Won't stealth suits last a while? They have a 3+ save, and will almost rarely get into assault, because they have jetpacks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:30 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
your group sounds like they arent really building proper lists than.
and no, stealth suits usually die by turn 2, I would drop them completely if I were you, crises suits are much better.

Gatormen 170 points
Dwarves 261 points
Malifaux:
Ten thunders 347 Soul Stones
Gremlins 82 Soul Stones

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:35 am 

Flindo wrote:
your group sounds like they arent really building proper lists than.

Nope :mrgreen:
They usually footslog the whole game, which is pretty dumb. My friends each have only 1 or 2 transports, and they are never fielded :?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:21 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Bring 3 hammerheads, teach em to bring transports.
Templatez of doomzor to the enemiaz of tha greatah good!
On a more serious note, you can always tailor your list to what they got and leave these footsloggers little to no chance to win. Or you can make it fun and bring a balanced list.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:45 pm 

potato32 wrote:
Bring 3 hammerheads, teach em to bring transports.
Templatez of doomzor to the enemiaz of tha greatah good!
On a more serious note, you can always tailor your list to what they got and leave these footsloggers little to no chance to win. Or you can make it fun and bring a balanced list.

I want a balanced list, with an equal amount of anti-armor and anti-swarm. I'm not really into competitiveness, but rather an army that can be effective and not easily wrecked, yet fun to play.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:20 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
I prefer 2 hammerheads and 2-3 broadsides myself, with lots of crises suits, 2 units of firewarriors and about 60 kroot (40 carnivores and 20 hounds)

Gatormen 170 points
Dwarves 261 points
Malifaux:
Ten thunders 347 Soul Stones
Gremlins 82 Soul Stones

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:56 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Flindo is right. 60 kroot is a little overboard max out crisis suits before you get 60 kroot.

6th ed

Tau empire: 2 win 2 draw 6 loss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:01 pm 

But that adds over 750! :o Note that I want to build this in anticipation for next codex, so I'm not buying a whole lot, nor building a list that may change completely when the codex comes out. Having 60 Kroot could turn into 60 Vespids, which no one wants. Having 2 crisis suits that may be changed is okay, because there is only two of them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:41 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
I don't believe the rule is you have to give each stealth suit the same upgrade. I believe it says if you give one an upgrade you have to give all models an upgrade, but not neccissarily the same one.

Noc

Tau w/ Eldar Allies W-3 D-1 L-3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:26 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Nocturus wrote:
I don't believe the rule is you have to give each stealth suit the same upgrade. I believe it says if you give one an upgrade you have to give all models an upgrade, but not neccissarily the same one.

Noc

+1

You can't go wrong with skyray kits and a few magnets. A hammerhead for now as it is the best, you get the turret for a sky ray that they might overhaul, at very worst you got a dfish (that prolly wont change at all) if you magnetize the thing on top and the middle turret.
And at 500 pts, 2 hammerheads, 12 firewarriors, 1 crysis hq is the bomb. Hammerhead in themselves are versatiles(good vs sward, not bad vs typical units, railgun at bs4 for tanks.) Having three that you can magnetize so when you swap for broadsides you get your dfishes from those... it is never a bad buy I believe.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:29 pm 

I do have a skyway kit actually, but I hadn't considered magnetizing it. That being said, do I even have to magnetize?

And thanks Noc, that cleared things up! Now, why are target locks so good?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:32 am 
Gold Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Target locks will allow the unit to split fire. So let's say the unit is targeting side armour on a leman russ, the BCs won't dent it, but the FB will. So you give the FB a TA and everyone else TLs so you can say the 'unit' is shooting the Russ and have the BC guys split fire onto that PCS hiding behind it.

Noc

Tau w/ Eldar Allies W-3 D-1 L-3