It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tau 750 list
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:19 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Shas'El - Fusion blaster, missile pod, shield generator, HWTL, HWMT, HWDC, Retro vectoring thrust, Stimulant injector, 2 shield drones. 154.

12 fire warriors - shas'la leader, bonding knife, six PR, six PC, six emp. 166.
12 fire warriors - shas'la leader, bonding knife, PR. 130.

5 Stealth suits - Shas'vre Leader, bonding knife, HWTl ( all ). 190.

1 broadside - Shas'ui leader, HWTL, HWMT, HWDC, Smart missile system, 2 shield drones. 110.

750 on the dot.

Should I trade out the broadside for two xv8's? The reason I ask this is my locals are very light on vehicles ( most I've seen in a 750 was 3 ) , so the xv8's could do both infantry and vehicle roles, but at the same rate, losing the range would mean sacrificing the suits if things go south.

Post subject: Re: Tau 750 list
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:51 am 
Silver Vault Member

take out all the upgrades on the shas'el (make sure to get the 50 point one not 75) except for the multi tracker, drones and stim injector. take all upgrades off the fire warriors. take out all the stealth suits for crisis suits and put your commander in their squad (i would recommend 3 fireknives with team leader). normally i dont use fusion blasters but you need some anti tank in case you lose your broadside. i would also recommend another broadside (so a squad of 2 with team leader, shield drones, and A.S.S). they are good anti tank, montrous creature and elite overkill, but are also good anti infantry with their SMS. here is my recommended list:

Shas' el (the 50 point one- dont know which is which lol)- MT, DC (2 shield drones), FB, MP- 109

3 Crisis suits- team leader, MT, plasma, MP- 191

12 FW - 120

12 FW- 120

2 broad sides- team leader, DC (2 shield drone), A.S.S- 190

that is 730 points so you can play with the last bit of points. i would twin link the FB and give the crisis suits a DC with a gun drone for wound allocation purposes. usually i would go with a squad of FW in a warfish and a squad of kroot at this level but i dont know if you have the models. keep your fire warriors in cover, i cannot stress that enough. i hope you do well! for the greater good!

-TS

Tau - 5000+ points

Necrons - 4000+ points

Ogre Kingdoms - 4000+ points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:21 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

The commander has some stuff that is a little too much for this point level, such as Vectored Retro Thrusters and/or Shield Gen, especially when taking the expensive Stealth Suits. Your commander with drones and Stimulants has enough survivability, and if he is in a combat situation where he needs an invulnerable save, at this points level, hes going to probably die anyways. However, that doesn't mean you don't have to take it, just saying those 20 points for the shield gen could be used elsewhere.

What I would do with those 20 points is give a couple drones to your Stealth Suits, so that you don't lose a 30 point model every time you fail a 3+ armor save. Also, the stealth suits excel at pouring massive amounts of higher strength shots into a target, so the extra 5 points on every model for the target lock isn't as efficient a use for those points. When you direct each guy's shot at different targets, say 3 suits on a IG squad and 2 suits on a chimera, you're lessening the overall volume of shots at a single target, and thus lessening the amount of damage you can deal - if all 5 fired on that guard squad, then you will undoubtedly wipe them out entirely, reducing the total number of shots he can put out and the number of targets you have to worry about. Also, I wouldn't upgrade to a Shas'vre, but simply designate a team leader for the 5 points as opposed to 10 for the 'vre.

The EMPs are a nice idea, and can be very useful. But when you have Pulse Rifles in a Fire Warrior Squad, you are designating that squad for long range supporting fire. Conversely, Pulse Carbines are designed to be up close and personal with the enemy, an optimal battle zone for the EMP grenades. what I would do is simply split that first Fire Warrior Team into two six man teams, one with Carbines/EMPs (a shas'ui with BK and gun drones, if you would like to add some longevity to the unit) and the other with only Pulse Rifles (probably no Shas'ui, in order to save points).

The Second Fire Warrior Team is good - but I'm not sure about the Broadside. I love the idea of Broadsides, but have never used one yet, so that is up to someone else to discuss for you.

At under 1000 point games, efficiency of points and effectiveness of units is key.

But in the end, it is nice that your list is very different from the standard Tau list! Don't stop making creative lists - have fun and do what you want.

How are you going to deploy your stealth suits?

http://the-grim-dark.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:53 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

For the stealth suits:

Fortunatley for me, all my locals are very light on jump infantry ( Huge adavntage!!! ) so i infiltrate the stealth suits, try to manuvere them into cover, and keep them there.
I reserve the rest of my units except the broadside, since they have no other units that can deppstrike or touch the broadside, i let him pick off vehicles and tougher infantry to make the other units jobs easier. After some tanks are out of the way and infatry are exsposed, i move the suits in a little and start to fire as much as i can at opposing infantry to wittle down there forces even more ( i ussually move to either the left or right of the units so i can get a line of sight on them, but some of theres cant see me ) ( we use quite a bit of terrain ). After wittling the infantry, ill move away and wait for them to come to me. HQ and fire warriors should be in by now, and the fire warriors will sit back and pick off the untis pursuing the stealth suits with the longer ranged weapons. The HQ will deepstrike behind the enemy and use its missle pod to take out infantry ( S7 AP3 is great againts anything ). Get the infantry so weak that he starts to run back to his side and regroup. Then Just all out move in and annihalate.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:04 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

My locals call me "farsight" because of how differently I play tau.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:11 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Spiders of the Warp wrote:
For the stealth suits:

Fortunatley for me, all my locals are very light on jump infantry ( Huge adavntage!!! ) so i infiltrate the stealth suits, try to manuvere them into cover, and keep them there.
I reserve the rest of my units except the broadside, since they have no other units that can deppstrike or touch the broadside, i let him pick off vehicles and tougher infantry to make the other units jobs easier. After some tanks are out of the way and infatry are exsposed, i move the suits in a little and start to fire as much as i can at opposing infantry to wittle down there forces even more ( i ussually move to either the left or right of the units so i can get a line of sight on them, but some of theres cant see me ) ( we use quite a bit of terrain ). After wittling the infantry, ill move away and wait for them to come to me. HQ and fire warriors should be in by now, and the fire warriors will sit back and pick off the untis pursuing the stealth suits with the longer ranged weapons. The HQ will deepstrike behind the enemy and use its missle pod to take out infantry ( S7 AP3 is great againts anything ). Get the infantry so weak that he starts to run back to his side and regroup. Then Just all out move in and annihalate.

this looks good. one thing that bothers me is your fire warriors. if they're going to sit back, just give them all Pulse Rifles and forget the Carbines and EMP's

http://the-grim-dark.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:29 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Well, the reason I have the six carbines is because thats how I got them... So yeah...
I may just split them up and have three squads. Present more targets, draws there fire away from a couple as I fire back.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:52 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
I would get rid of most of the things on the shas el.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:02 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Ok, ill edit him later...

Heres a small revision.

Shas'el - 129 ( - stimulant/retro/HWMT )
FW squad 1 - 9 fw, 1 shas'vre, bonding, PR. 105
FW squad 2 - 6 fw, 1 shas'vre, bonding, PR. 75
FW squad 3 - 6 fw, 1 shas'vre, bonding, PC, emp's. 111
Stealth squad - 5 Stealth suits, 1 shas'ui leader, bonding, HWTL ( all ), two sheild drones. 215
Broadside - Shas,ui leader, smart missile, HWDC, HWTL, HWMT, 2 sheild drones. 115

( COMPOSITE- trade xv88 for two xv8's )

xv8, Bonding knife, TL plasma, Target lock. 65
xv8, TL Missile pod, Target lock. -50

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:55 pm 
Silver Vault Member

y u no take my input? i play tau on a weekly basis and i know what works well and what doesnt. but i will admit i dont know everything and your list is ultimately up to you ;)

Tau - 5000+ points

Necrons - 4000+ points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:28 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
not only is this list completely illigal it isnt going to win you any fights by completely wasting points on your commander, the maximum points I ever spend on my commander is about 110.

Gatormen 170 points
Dwarves 261 points
Malifaux:
Gremlins 203 Soul Stones
Relic Knights:
Noh Empire: 68 points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:04 am 
Silver Vault Member

Flindo wrote:
not only is this list completely illigal it isnt going to win you any fights by completely wasting points on your commander, the maximum points I ever spend on my commander is about 110.

My commander

Shas'El
Plasma rifle (sometimes proxied for a Airbursting fragmentation projector)
Missile pod
Multitracker
Hardwired drone controller
2x Gun drones

All up 107 points

Swords of Retribution (Dark Angels 6th) 6000pts all up
Tau 6th 1300pts
Dwarfs 1500pts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:36 am 
Bronze Vault Member

Do you have the codex?
I'm not trying to be impolite, but you seem to mix things a bit up in your list.
Firewarriors don't bring shas'vre , but shas'ui as team leaders.

At 750 there's going to be a lot of room if you're playing on the standard 6' x 4' table. Either you can create a static firing line, shooting it out and hope to get the job done before you get assaulted. Or, you go mobile. That all depends on the style, but personally I prefer mobile if possible. Only the need for broadsides and pathfinders around 1500 forces me to go static.
My basic rule is at least one kroot support unit for each static "bunch" (firewarriors, pathfinders & broadsides). At 750, this is still the case in my opinion, so since it seems you're going static, I'd say bring two squads of firewarriors and one squad of kroot.

However, may I make a recommendation? Go mobile mech and use the table for all that it's worth at this point level.

Shas'el - TL-MP, flamer

Either stick him with the lonely suit to run two pair of crisis suits or go for all monats (single suit unit).

1 crisis suit - TL-MP, flamer

2 crisis suits - TL-MPs, flamers (could eventually be brought as two seperate units)

6 firewarriors in devilfish with DP

6 firewarriors (kept in reserve to walk on home objective during objective games, and to stay hidden during kill point games)

2 hammerheads - Railguns, BCs, MTs, DPs

This list is annoying, but powerful. You can hide a suit completely behind a tank if you keep the tank on its landing gear instead of the flying base. This forces your opponent to spend all his firepower on your tanks instead. AV 13 (12 devilfish) front with a constant 4+ cover save unless you muck up the movement phase.

What, no plasmas? What about MEQs? Split up and zoom around. You have a 36" shooting range to work with, which is great. You're hitting more reliably with twin-linked, and will pick off MEQs eventually.
Considering both suits and tanks move 12" per turn as well, the opponent will have a hard time cornering or catching you. All the while as your picking away with railguns and missile pods.

You could eventually skip the devilfish and bring more crisis suits (or upgrade the current ones with plasmas), but a troop devilfish is much more useful for the objective games in my opinion. Drop the firewarriors on one objective and float on to claim the next. That, and you'll have another tank to hide suits behind.

Just my two cents.

-hakunamatartin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:28 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

OK, final rundown. ( not editting after this. )

HQ -
Shas'El
burst cannon, missile pod, shield generator, hwtl, bonding knife, retro vectoring thrust.
Bodyguard
burst cannon, missile pod, shield generator, hwtl.
190 points.

TROOP -
12 Fire warriors
1 shas'la leader, bonding knife.

9 Fire warriors
1 shas'la leader, bonding knitfe.
230 points.

ELITE -
6 xv15 stealth suits
1 shas'ui leader, bonding knife, hwtl ( all ).
220 points.

Heavy -
1 broadside
hwtl, hwmt, hwdc, 2 shield drones.
110 points.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:55 pm 
Silver Vault Member

no offence but the list is quite weak ;)

Tau - 5000+ points

Necrons - 4000+ points