It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:11 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Okay, this is a completely hypothetical situation but say I have a squad of fire warriors affected by the siphon. If I use a markerlight to improve their BS, does it remain 1 or does it go up by X markerlight hits. Pretty sure neither faq touches this subject, and it has kind of been bugging me.

Kor'seran Night Hunters (Tau Cadre) 2250pts
Imperial Army of the Transient Sons (IG Aircav Army) 1500pts
Guardians of the Twilight Glade (Wood Elves) 1500pts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:15 pm 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

the syphon wins out because of the wording of its effect.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:47 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Syphon is honestly so broken against tau id say markerlights help, but in a tournament syphon wins. Against GK spam railguns.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:57 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Hypothetically, if you're going up against GK with Tau and they have a syphon, you should just surrender :P

To be relatively helpful, I believe the syphon would win out.

I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:36 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Mat Ward likes grey knights so of course he made them as cheesy as hell :lol:

Gatormen 170 points
Dwarves 261 points
Malifaux:
Ten thunders 347 Soul Stones
Gremlins 82 Soul Stones

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:39 am 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
or or or... you could shoot at the Inquisitor Squad with maybe a Submunition Hammerhead shot maybe wipe out half the squad and mop up the rest...

plasma syphon is only range 12, and an inquisitor with that and an entire retinue in a transport must cost around 200+ points. which can be killed off easliy. a common tactic for tau is to kill off an enemy unit before moving on to the next...

plus a lot of people won't realise that only one model in the entire grey knights codex can take the plasma .. yeah sure the plasma syphon is cheesy but it's one model that probably won't even get close enough... you hit the inquisitor on 4 maybe 3's and wound him on 2's with the majority of your weapons

i can continue arguing about this but if you want to see how cheesy it is give me a GK list and a Tau list of 1500 points and i'll post a battle report when i get the chance

I do do. The cha cha.

War Cry:
"Overly Glorified Tickle Cannons Prevail!!!"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:00 pm 
First post! Good job, now post more...

As cheesy as the Siphon is, it's range is so short if you really have to worry about it, it's already to close to survive the impending assault anyway. All Tau weapons have a range long enough to stay outside it. The pule rifles are even in RF range and still 3 inches away from it. Plus it makes the GK player cocky to go against Tau more often then not. Only to see their commander pinned by sniper drones and then a squad of Sunforge Crisis suits hops over and blows em away with their TL Fusion Guns, which aren't affected by the Siphon, being Melta weapons. Not to manetion the hammerhead submunition, or missiles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:18 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ome wrote:
The pule rifles are even in RF range and still 3 inches away from it.

Where do you get your facts from? Rapid fire is 12" not half the guns range.

Kor'seran Night Hunters (Tau Cadre) 2250pts
Imperial Army of the Transient Sons (IG Aircav Army) 1500pts
Guardians of the Twilight Glade (Wood Elves) 1500pts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:50 am 

Plasma Syphon in a Land Raider/(stealthed) Stormraven.

gg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:25 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Chief wrote:
Plamsa Syphon in a Land Raider/(stealthed) Stormraven.

gg

so this Inquisitor and retinue in LR or SR is a competitive list so this list is already taking up a HQ and Heavy Support option which altogether is worth i dunno about 400 points + which can easily be rendered useless by a single stunned or immobilised result?...

for those 400 points a Tau player can bring about 3 broadsides and a hammerhead, Hammerhead to pop open this LR or SR, and Hammerhead Submunition to template them to bits all at a max range of 72" not to mention submunition is pinning because it's an ordanance...

Grey Knight weaponry is incredibly short ranged and the long ranged weapons seem to all be mounted on vehicles of some sort, Grey Knights were purely meant to get up in your face, if they can't do that then they're almost as useless as Tau are in 5th ed....

P.s. Plasma Syphon also effects friendly models, and the squad attached to the inquisitor

I do do. The cha cha.

War Cry:
"Overly Glorified Tickle Cannons Prevail!!!"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:08 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Submunition is neither pinning nor ordinance. Ordinance doesn't even make a blast pinning.

400 points? lolno. 250-ish for the raven variant, 300-ish for the raider variant. shrouding adds another 160-ish.

A flat out raven with shrouding has a 3+ cover and can be anywhere it wants to be, whilst still putting a melta or something into one of the Tau dudes, potentially knocking out that hammerhead or a broadside.

Broadsides trying to shoot it down.
3 shots, 2.25 hit, 1.485 damage, 0.49005 make it through the cover, 0.323433 wrecked in some fashion. Then you have to hope you get line of sight to the inquisitor or the unit with your large blast, hope there are the same number of wounds as models in the unit, and that they didn't put power armor on the inquisitor.

Stunning a GK vehicles doesn't do anything to do, especially not against Tau. Psychic pilot, and their fortitude power, removes stunned and shaken effects.