It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:54 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Hey everyone, I am in the process of creating an expansive set of lore for a custom space marine chapter I'm making. I'm posting this here to drive myself to continue on this project as well as to get people's opinions. Also I want to hear you're comments on a number of subjects regarding the lore I've created. Stuff like how believable it is, Am I correct with my facts, etc. Thanks for reading this, I really appreciate it. Sorry for the long walls of text.

Acolytes of Valerius Lore! Now with 100% more PDF goodness!

PDF here!

I've taken out the history section from this first post since it blocked a lot of space. If you want the current history, as well as other sections, they are located in the PDF.

If you're here for the basics then here they are in their current form. I do however recommend that you look at the PDF since it has some great content.

~Atzunew

Last edited by Atzunew on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 18 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:11 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
may i suggest that this chapter's most common enemy be Daemons or Chaos Word Bearers, it's the name i think...

Your chapters founding legion was the Word Bearers (sounds silly but it could make an interesting fluffside), but they were one of the few companies that did not fall to their primarchs demands and remained loyal to the Emperor.

good idea?

I do do. The cha cha.

War Cry:
"Overly Glorified Tickle Cannons Prevail!!!"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:49 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges
Two things, that are mostly minor;

Space marines do not choose a suitable location to gather recruits, but are instead gifted the area by the Lords of Terra. They are then placed as owners of the planet, but a planetary governor is still in place.

And please do not heed Sniperfex's advice. I hold nothing against him, but I find it silly that people think their Chapter needs to be always encountering a single foe. Space marines spread across the segmentum, facing many separate foes. A Chapter's solar system is one of the most defended places they will encounter, and the likelihood of a daemonic incursion is insanely low. Choosing a Traitor legion for your founding chapter is also a bad idea; The legions had no loyalists that escaped, as anyone willing to follow the Emperor rather than Horus was weeded out and killed before Istvaan V. Now, there are obviously some exceptions I.E Garro, but he is a single case. The olyalists amongst the Traitors were killed in the first Istvaan massacre, which then prompted the Emperor to dispatch the loyalist legions to bring Horus home, which then got almost Three legions wipe out. Please, do not take a traitor legion as your forefather. The Emperor, and lords of Terra would have had you wiped out.

Now Sniperfex; Do not take this personally. I just disagree with you on this.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:58 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
well they dont have to be the most common enemy, just a nemesis to the chapter

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:45 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
BewareOfTom wrote:
well they dont have to be the most common enemy, just a nemesis to the chapter

indeed..

and commando_jim i can see where you are coming from... but isn't it rumor that the Blood Ravens are a company of the Thousand Sons? ;)

even though they were loyal sorta..

Weren't all the Word Bearers engaged with the Ultramiarines though?

I do do. The cha cha.

War Cry:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:49 pm 

I think it'd be awesome that their from the word bearers (if you read the dornian heresy alternate timeline) I'd want loyalist ward bearers to be my army :0

- Engelbart Kappa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:51 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges
The whole Blood Ravens / Thousand sons rumor is fleeting and rather inept at best. Simply because they have been given a special snowflake view since they are the main chapter in DOW, they suddenly become "Oooh, Mysterious! We might be descended from traitors, but we won't tell :wink: ". The only proof that holds substance is the fact that they have a larger than usual amount of Psykers (Which, by the way, would get them extremely badly scrutinized by the Inquisition, no matter how badly they try hide it. And besides, if they were a company; They were a crappy one. The thousnd sons had many notable companies (The Pyrae, Raptora, Pavioni etc) and I would not count the Blood ravens among any of those.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:55 pm 

interesting isn't it..

Mind you it did say most of the loyalists from traitor legions were killed before the Ivvastan Drop Site Massacre.. but the Word Bearers weren't present at that time...

+ if you read the short story Scions of the Storm in "Tales of Heresy". you'll find that one of the characters questioned the Primarchs treachery and couldn't understand it even though he said "i would follow you, i swear"

and who knows... a small number of Word Bearers could of gone "something's not right here" and packed their bags and left together... but who knows Commando_jim, who knows

I do do. The cha cha.

War Cry:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:57 pm 

I know, I know everything

- Engelbart Kappa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:05 pm 

Then what song am I listening to right now? ;)

I do do. The cha cha.

War Cry:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:16 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Sniperfex wrote:
Then what song am I listening to right now? ;)

Trick question: your not listening to music right now ;)

Anyways thanks for you three for you're insight. I'm posting an update soon about the 100 years gap I have in my history, fixing some minor details and also posting some of the basic information that I have left out. Thanks for the support and discussion, it has kept me inspired.

~Atzunew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:27 pm 

I don't mind talking about lore, especially if the other person knows that lore too. Always happy to help come up with Fluff for homemades too!

Just a rule of thumb I go by whenever I do anything that is fluff/lore.

Never try to muscle your way into established fluff. Fair enough, be part of the relief fleet that rescued the Crimson fists, or join the Space fleet that chased of Ghazghul, but never, ever try to force your way into major events. (I know you haven't done this, just giving you a heads up, as it is generally frowned upon.) Nothing Irks me more than someone making a homemade Space marine Chapter that has been involved in every damned major conflict. I swear, I saw one some guy made on Bolter and Chainsword, that had his homemade chapter (The Lords of Iron or something like that) chasing off the hive fleet that wrecked the Ultramarines, and they also helped the Black Templars defend Helsreach (Not like the Salamanders did, in his version they were there from the beginning.) He even had them in the Badab war, blowing up three major Astral claws ships.

And a Small number isn't enough to start a chapter, even with the Emperors blessing. A Chapter can only recruit a limited number of Marines, due to needing their Geneseeds grown inside a grown marine. Even if they were absorbed into a Legion, then divided into Chapters, their Geneseed would be faded out before too long. It would take around Two companies at least, and I highly doubt that a Word Bearers force that size would ;
A: Escape other Word bearers.
B: Manage to be aloud back into the Imperium after their Legion went rogue. The suspicion would be far too high.

And Tom; You want Loyalist Word bearers?

Welcome to the Pre heresy era my friend.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:06 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Edit* moved this section here to cut down on the large scroll to get to the second post.

Extra notes / figures:

Figure 1: Map with rough location of Palaxia System. (sorry for the Italian version lol, but I think it makes it point well enough)

Figure 2: My first concept of a colour scheme.

Note 1: The way I wanted this name system to work was for the new Chapter Master to add the name "Valerius" to his own. It would go something like this. Edrign Troponn Valerius. Upon reflection I guess it does kinda resemble the Salamanders tradition for Forgefather.

Note 2: If you are confused on the dating system then take a look at this page on Lexicanum. It should explain what all the numbers mean to those not familiar. http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperial_Dating_System#.T3TWtzEgeE0

Note 3: I'm sorry that I haven't posted things that people would expect. Stuff like organization, who their founding chapter is, symbol, etc will come later. I want to lay down a foundation of lore first and then expand upon it. Also I didn't want to overload you guys and gals with too much info in one go. *Edit* See first post for basic information

Note 4: There are numerous mentions to planets in my posts. Details will follow in the coming days. I am also planning on making a map of the system in Universe Sandbox.

Note 5: Since it is the most common for being a base for new chapters I chose Ultras to be my chapters founder.

Last edited by Atzunew on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:03 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

commando_jim wrote:
Two things, that are mostly minor;

Space marines do not choose a suitable location to gather recruits, but are instead gifted the area by the Lords of Terra. They are then placed as owners of the planet, but a planetary governor is still in place.

Ok that defiantly makes more sense then what I had since it would be somewhat silly lore wise. As to how I would write that into the fluff I'm concerned a bit. How do the Lords decide where to place a chapter? Is it something where they consult the Emperor's Tarot for divination or do they consult advisers as to where best to place the chapter. I'm just not too sure right now but I doubt the Lords would play "pin the tail on the donkey" with a map of the galaxy to decide a location.

Regarding the question of the Word Bearers, I don't like the idea of it is their founding legion since that goes into the "Lords of Awesome" syndrome. Also I too have seen many a great custom chapter fall to this syndrome with the idea where they influenced huge events on canon lore in a major way. I'll say that right now I have plans for a company (or just a good portion of it if that is more likely) to fall to chaos.

Details are fuzzy at this stage but it would go something like the company was sent to investigate something with chaos influence, a prominent psyker or chaplain turned to chaos, and steadily they turned as many brothers as possible and then revealed their true loyalties. I guess that the Word Bearers could be that catalyst that started these series of events. Not too sure on details but it would give me lore reason for the use of the chaos codex if I wanted to.

Thanks for reading through my post and commenting. Update with more history is below. Details specifically changes to update details pointed out in comments and halved the missing 100 years of history.

~Atzunew

Last edited by Atzunew on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:04 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Update

*With regards to the Lords of Terra choosing the chapter's home world.*
• 7291563.M38 – 773601.M38: For a number of decades the chapter was fleet based around the Palaxia system, fighting the enemies of the Emperor where ever they appear. Over these years their reputation spreads.
• 5735606.M38: The planet of Nurrm was gifted by the Lords of Terra to the Acolytes of Valerius as a permanent base for recruits as well as a base of operations for the Acolytes of Valerius. (see Palaxia System)

*skipping ahead to new content (sorry for the wall of text)*

• 6027633.M38: Piracy has become rampant within some of the surrounding systems. The chapter’s 2nd and 3rd companies has been sent to remedy the situation best they can.
• 4714637.M38: After years of conflict it seems that the recent spread of piracy was orchestrated by a small faction of Red Corsair renegades. Escalation of the conflict is unanimously agreed upon by the three members of the council. (see Note 1)
• 4184641.M38: The Palaxian Credit is now wide spread throughout the system. It is also recognized by surrounding systems, being regularly traded with.
• 3562645.M38: While en-route to re-enforce frontline positions a small Palaxian Guard convoy was attacked. At this time there are no leads as to whom attacked the convoy but since their vessels were taken it is assumed to be the work of pirates.
• 2973648.M38: A distress beacon belonging to one of the diapered vessels was activated. While it seems to be a trap to draw out forces, the Acolytes of Valerius send the strike cruiser “Divinicus” to investigate. (see Fleet)
• 2977648.M38: The strike cruiser “Divinicus” arrives at the source of the signal. A minor confrontation takes place with pirate ships and ends with an imperial victory. Space marines board one of the disabled vessels and find information on the location of the pirate’s headquarters.
• 3174649.M38: A combined Palaxian Fleet, lead by the battle barge “Endless Victory”, is dispatched to the aforementioned coordinates. A large naval battle ensues Imperial forces are victorious but at a great cost. With the pirate’s leadership destroyed it will not take long for piracy in the sector to be quelled. (see Fleet)
• 4727652.M38: After many years of hard fought battles the issue of piracy has been resolved. Local markets experience a boom in activity due to safer trade routes.
• 3962656.M38: Agrarian development of Ortrea is slowed due to the discovery of rich minerals below the surface. While it would be beneficial to mine them out so they may be able to use these new found raw materials it would also destroy Ortrea’s nutrient rich soil. Many debates are held but no outcome has been decided yet because of there has been little to no consensus reached. (see Ortrea)
• 4802660.M38: It has been 4 years since the debate on Ortrea’s development began. With planetary government not being able to reach a result it has been overturned to the Palaxian council for review. (see Ortrea)
• 60287661.M38: After a review of both sides in this case it has been deemed that Ortrea is to retain and develop their agricultural production. While mining companies and even the Adeptus Mechanicum are displeased, they can see merit with keeping the masses well fed over profit margins or a greater supply of raw materials. (see Ortrea)
• 5492663.M38: The Adeptus Mechanicum creates a research station on the moon Lyrea. Outside of the Mechanicum it is unknown why they have created the facility but it seems important due to a heavy defense network having been set up.
• 2841666.M38: Alarmingly there has been a rise in chaos cults in the system within this year. Both the Acolytes of Valerius and Ecclesiarchy urge for full scale military action to be taken against such blasphemy. By the end of the year wide spread cleansings occur and many of the chaos cults are quelled and decimated. The 4th company of the chapter is in charge of cleansing the system alongside the Ecclesiarchy.
• 5492668.M38: St. Pius' Cathedral is built and completed, renewing overwhelming faith in the Imperial Cult within the sector among the masses.
• 3618670.M38: The Adeptus Mechanicum petitions to Palaxian Council for a position on the council. As of now its interests are seen after by the Acolytes of Valerius. This is through the word from the Master of the Forge that the Mechanicum’s interests are looked after. (see Palaxian Council)
• 5035675.M38: On Seduuni miners uncover ruins during creating a strip mine. Excavating operations are overseen by the Mechanicum tech-priests due to their wealth of knowledge regarding the archaic. (see Sedunni)
• 5821679.M38: Four years have passed since exaction begun on Seduuni. With more details being unearthed the tech -priests initially believe the ruins to belong to primitive humans. Preliminary archiving places them during the Age of Strife. Since this is a large discovery, the Acolytes of Valerius send the 4th company to secure the surrounding area from would be looters. (see Sedunni)
• 5743682.M38: After years of debate and assessment the Adeptus Mechanicum is granted a seat on the council. Its main opponent was the Ecclesiarchy since the Mechanicum doesn’t practice the Imperial Cult but rather the Cult Mechanicus. The Acolytes of Valerius held the position where the Mechanicum should be granted the seat since they see that the Mechanicum is a large part of the Palaxia system. The Palaxian Administratum took a neutral footing and was integral into persuading the Ecclesiarchy. (see Palaxian Council)
• 3091686.M38 - 4835696.M38: This decade sees no large or major events happening within the system. The Palaxia system is given a quick breather to steadily develop itself.

Extra note added

~Atzunew

Last edited by Atzunew on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.