The Greater Demon Prince, AKA Balrog.

Post your submissions for the Science Fiction Monsters category here.
Roninjr
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Roninjr » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:23 am

First of all I'm not sure which of the two "Monster" categories to enter this mini in. So I'm entering it in both with the expectation that the judges will better know which of the categories it best fills and thus allow. It's a Balrog miniature from the GW line but I've converted it for use as the Greater Demon Prince in a 40K Chaos army for a friend. I started out by cutting down/away the portions I would sculpt over or onto. I then built up the details required as per his requests. Focusing on the two "Chaos Brands", the loin cloth with chain, and the flames at the feet, I used "Green Stuff" and Vallejo's "Plastic Putty". I was actually surprised by how much gap filling this miniature required. I used a combination of the GW, Privateer P3, Vallejo Model & Games paints on this model. I painted it using a very thin layering technique which seems to work very well for blinding. I'm keenly aware that there are many areas for me to improve upon and I hope to receive some constructive criticism and advice to help me. Thanks and good luck.

Working and hoping to improve.
Roninjr

eq2templar
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #5

Re: The Greater Demon Prince, AKA Balrog.

Post by eq2templar » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:38 am

That is some of the best fire I have ever seen. Excellent work!
"The blind owl falls, 'cause he misses the branch"

OSultan76
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by OSultan76 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:06 pm

THIS IS AMAZING! THE COLOR LOOKS SO GOOD!!!
FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!!

muramasima
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by muramasima » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:03 pm

I agree, the fire is amazing along with your greenstuff work!
Scout Bikers, arch enemy of Ben's tau!

Ultramarines: 1300 points

BloodAngel
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by BloodAngel » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:10 pm

wow, that is great!

Shadowx
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Shadowx » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:39 pm

That is amazing! Good luck with the contest!!
Space marines (Ultramarines/Imperial Fists Mix) 6 - 7000 pts

Space marines (Dark Angels) 1000 pts

Skaven (Clan Eshin) 4 -5000 pts

Orks (No clan) about 500 pts

Orcs and Goblins (No clan) about 1500 pts

lotrmaster6
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by lotrmaster6 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:01 pm

The flames are awsome and the eyes look great too. Still I think this doesn't symbolise the balrog because it isn't wearing a blue skirt :S. Flames and base are awsome though :)

Check this out b.t.w:
This picture is edited and does not have anything to do with the entry. I just made this to show people how deceivingly simple it is to cheat on an entry. I made my initials with letters from his own writings.

Hope you like it
Kind Regards,

Lotrmaster6

Darkgod
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Darkgod » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:41 am

where did you get the base from?

anyway the model is amazing keep up the good work :D

Roninjr
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Roninjr » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:33 pm

The base is from "Epicast USA". It's there #803 Skull Display base, 60mm. It's a cool base but it was very difficult getting primer to stick to it. Yes, I washed it in warm soapy water and allowed it to dry, but even then it took far too many coats of primer, and when dry would still easily wipe off at the rim. It's diffidently not something I would use for a playing piece. Only for display. I hope that helps.

Roninjr

epicast.com

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:43 pm

This picture is edited and does not have anything to do with the entry. I just made this to show people how deceivingly simple it is to cheat on an entry. I made my initials with letters from his own writings.
Sure one^^
Funny only the good awesome entries are getting such question marks.

Although it may sound offensive, but could you post a picture of the miniature from beneath? so you see a little of the underside of the base and the miniature from below (a shot normal people wouldn't take and post).
If you could do that you would have all our trust and I'll give you a cookie. if you don't ... well.. we will have doubt and if you refuse.. I will kill:P

Its just for safety measure, Lotrmaster6 pointed out something really good and how easy it was to edit. So could you please do it? I'm being really offensive here sorry :cry:
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Durf
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryWon the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Durf » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:01 pm

A Luna wrote:
Sure one^^
Funny only the good awesome entries are getting such question marks.

Although it may sound offensive, but could you post a picture of the miniature from beneath? so you see a little of the underside of the base and the miniature from below (a shot normal people wouldn't take and post).
If you could do that you would have all our trust and I'll give you a cookie. if you don't ... well.. we will have doubt and if you refuse.. I will kill:P

Its just for safety measure, Lotrmaster6 pointed out something really good and how easy it was to edit. So could you please do it? I'm being really offensive here sorry :cry:
An epidemic of paranoia is sweeping the nation...

Roninjr
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Roninjr » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:37 pm

"A Luna" and all others interested,

This is what I'll do for you. Tomorrow, I'll drive to my local hobby store where it's on display and take a photo of it in my left hand along with the only other miniature I entered in this contest. The other one is my Space Marine Chaplain with jump pack. The "Cold Breath Exhaust" I tried on it didn't seem to please anyone. Oh well, I like it. Anyway "A Luna", I'll even lay them both side by side on their faces and take a picture of their undies for you. But really did you have to do this for any of your entries? None the less, I'll try to get that on here no later than 2300hr 30 Apr '09.

Roninjr

Durf
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryWon the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Durf » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:52 pm

Look what I can do too...

I wouldn't go take a picture of the undercarriage of your model just because someone has a hard time with a person's ability to paint. Unless the judges ask you to do it, then I wouldn't.

Boon
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Boon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:54 am

that is some just insane sculpting... insane...
and the fire effects are unreal.

I would however add that the rest is incredibly plain... just a highlight or a drybrush or something with a shade or two of grey over the black bits would improve it beyond words. but as it stands it looks half finished...
theBoonarmies.blogspot
check it out...
new post 2/12/2011

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:31 am

Its ok to write my name as A Luna, you don't have to use the "'s. I know it sounds offending, but I did take a couple of pictures with myself on them and where people wouldn't be able to edit their names on the paper. If you see how everyone in this topic managed to edit your pictures wouldn't you become suspicious?
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube