Carnifex – Leviathan

Post your submissions for the Science Fiction Monsters category here.
Keithaw
MiniWarGaming Regular

Carnifex – Leviathan

Post by Keithaw » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:57 pm

Ok, so clearly not the most original work but I am new to warhammer, this is the 4th miniature I painted (3 warriors first). So I decided to just take my time, follow some guides online and try to copy a standard paint scheme. Other then that I like how it came out, all in all took about a week to finish.

muramasima
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Carnifex – Leviathan

Post by muramasima » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:29 am

Leviathan is actually my favourite colour scheme for nids! It's cool.
Scout Bikers, arch enemy of Ben's tau!

Ultramarines: 1300 points

eq2templar
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #5

Post by eq2templar » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:36 am

Man....that is a thing of beauty. Well done!
"The blind owl falls, 'cause he misses the branch"

King Junior
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by King Junior » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:47 am

that was really nice paont job :mrgreen:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/jorzi custom made plastic miniatures

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:37 am

Zeruel13 wrote:The attention to detail is superb and final blending is excellent.
With all respect, but I can't see anything blended. I have to agree with you about the final details.

Love the colour scheme and the transition between the dark purple and the white/bone is very well done. 4th miniature you say? Have you painted things before or are you just extremely talented?

Perhaps you could smooth out the little lines on the purple 'armor' a little more. more transition, less black. The highlights on the scythes seem a little sharp too. Perhaps more layers for the next time?

The complete model in the pic is awesome. I actually 'wow'ed' at the miniatures first picture. Love the colours and keep up the nice work you're doing. Would love to see more with improvements.
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

chaplain001
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by chaplain001 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:59 am

Bro that is awsome even if its purple it looks sweet! keep it up!

ChaosMarine6
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ChaosMarine6 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:17 pm

how did you post the pictures

OSultan76
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by OSultan76 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:14 pm

To tell you the truth, at first i was like "Awww another cheater, that has to be GW" then i saw the paper and i was like "WHAAT?" AMAZING, GOOD FOR YOU!

Keithaw
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Keithaw » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:50 pm

A Luna wrote: With all respect, but I can't see anything blended. I have to agree with you about the final details.

Love the colour scheme and the transition between the dark purple and the white/bone is very well done. 4th miniature you say? Have you painted things before or are you just extremely talented?

Perhaps you could smooth out the little lines on the purple 'armor' a little more. more transition, less black. The highlights on the scythes seem a little sharp too. Perhaps more layers for the next time?

The complete model in the pic is awesome. I actually 'wow'ed' at the miniatures first picture. Love the colours and keep up the nice work you're doing. Would love to see more with improvements.

Thanks, ya not much in terms of blending here, this mini is more a result of time and attention to detail - apposed to raw painting talent :P

But yes, despite only getting into miniatures/warhammer a few weeks ago, I am some what familiar with painting albeit usually much cruder.

Actually regretting getting a friend to take some pictures with a good camera, as I can see more flaws now then with my naked eye lol. In the end it works out though because I can use the tips.

DeathOnToast5
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by DeathOnToast5 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:54 pm

yup i like the carapace design and colours here. with your permission i am going to use this scheme for my tyranids.
"My blade shall not lie, lest they enemy be slain"

Space Marine Captain Yriel Blake of the Grey Blades.

Keithaw
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Keithaw » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:02 pm

DeathOnToast5 wrote:yup i like the carapace design and colours here. with your permission i am going to use this scheme for my tyranids.
I copied it from the codex so feel free haha.

lotrmaster6
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by lotrmaster6 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:04 am

The white and purple on this flesh are really awesome, though I'm not a real fan of 40k, this is cool

Sadly:
A Luna wrote:
I have to agree with this, the purple armour is just to harsh in highlights and also to black. The blending on the red tusks is a little bit better, but also requires some more work.

Overall the model looks great

8/10
Kind Regards,

Lotrmaster6

Keithaw
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Keithaw » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:52 pm

lotrmaster6 wrote:
I have to agree with this, the purple armour is just to harsh in highlights and also to black. The blending on the red tusks is a little bit better, but also requires some more work.
The thing with the carapace is it’s not supposed to be normally highlighted, but instead a cracked and scraped appearance around the edges achieved through streak painting. The nature of the effect looks messy close up but really adds a lot from a distance. I defiantly could improve with it though, I just don’t think it should be highlighted normally but rather just improve the streaking like A Luna said.

demarcosg
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by demarcosg » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:27 am

really amazing. i think that the flesh can use more layers as i think there are more details to bring out from there. like musculature and stuff. the purple highlights actually look good, but spoils up close. yeah the red is a bit harsh. but i looooove the purple shading. so amzing. really makes the model work. fantastic job.

Joey
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Joey » Fri May 01, 2009 5:48 pm

Stunning. THIS is what Hive Fleet Leviathan should look like!