Post your questions here

This forum is for posting your entries to our painting contest. Please read forum rules before posting. The rules are here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/blog/gener ... g-contest/
Forum rules
Only start new threads if you are entering our Miniature Painting Contest. Feel free to post comments on entries that you see.

Read the rules here before posting:
http://www.miniwargaming.com/blog/gener ... g-contest/
Jombo
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: Post your questions here

Post by Jombo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:40 pm

Darkgod wrote:omg!! do we really have to wait 1 or 2 weeks i cant wait that long the suspense is killing me!!!!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Well there is a ton to judge, so everyone is just going to have to wait.
Splinter Fleet Phobos

Bought: [----[+]---------------] 448/1750
Assembled: [--[+]-----------------] 232/1750
Painted: [+]-------------------] 0/1750

Click for videos of Tyranids and Terrain! (Coming Soon)

DrBored
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #9Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by DrBored » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Jombo wrote:
Darkgod wrote:omg!! do we really have to wait 1 or 2 weeks i cant wait that long the suspense is killing me!!!!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Well there is a ton to judge, so everyone is just going to have to wait.
Yeah. First they have to sift through and disqualify all the people that may have either cheated, or didn't follow all the rules completely and shuck those entries out, then they have to go around the remaining ones and get rid of the ones that just don't have any hope of making it compared to the majority... Then it gets down to.. well, whatever criteria they're judging on. And they have to do that with every category.

There are 230 entries in the Sci-Fi Singles alone!

Akozz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Akozz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:41 pm

who's in the jury ? :P

SkeletonTodd
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by SkeletonTodd » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:12 am

I've got to say, that the wording in the rules about how many entries are allowed and where, and the subsequent answers from the staff about entries was confusing at the very least.
You can only submit a miniature in one category, but there is no limit to how many submissions you put in.
This was worded poorly, and was placed me under the impression that was only allowed to enter in one category, period.

Further explanation after that fact explained that you could win in multiple categories.

One should not have to wade through several pages of forum posts to find clear and concise rules for a contest.

Crimeater12
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Crimeater12 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:16 am

i think that when there is another painting contest, there should be the same categories, but there should also be like a beginner, intermediate, and expert, depending on the paintjob of the miniature

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Crimeater12 wrote:i think that when there is another painting contest, there should be the same categories, but there should also be like a beginner, intermediate, and expert, depending on the paintjob of the miniature
Will result in things as people entering miniatures that just not are done on expert level but good enough to win in intermediate. such things or people will enter in the wrong skill class.
plus there have to be alot more prices since (no offense) I find a #2 in expert deserves a price more than a #1 in beginner.
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Akozz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Akozz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:16 pm

In my personal opinion best way to make painting contest is give an exact subject. Why ? Because its much easier for judges and it's more fair. It's much harder to cheat, buy mini or borrow it from friend :P When all entries are let say unit hiding in jungle terrain or assault marine striking foe they can compare all entries easier and be more fair. It's really hard to choose best mini when you have dozen well painted miniatures and all are the same( eg. as far as i know in CMON contests there is set miniature and all participants are painting same kind of mini. ) Just imagine same task with hundreds different miniatures. Besides some minis are on 40mm bases other 25mm, some don't really match their category or are hard to classified. I'm curious to know how MWG will deal with all those entries.

EDIT:

And for me as painter trying to complete given task is more fun than posting pictures of minis which I've done before.

But ! there is one big adventage. I think that was the aim of MWG, perhaps ?
Lot of people who would never force themselves to paint miniature especially for contest could post their minis which they've done in past. And see how it is.
I hope that will encourage them to take part in more contests.

DrBored

Post by DrBored » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:38 pm

Well, it'd be nice if they make sure that the same person isn't winning all of the first place prizes for all of the categories, y'know? If someone has submitted something in each category, they chose the best one out of all of their work and judge that against the rest of the competitors, that way nobody is just taking all of the trophies.

Similarly, I hope that people that posted multiple in the same category only get judged on their best entry.

If the judges ignored the above two stipulations, CONCEIVABLY someone could take first, second, and third for all six categories. That's 18 prizes going to one person. Wouldn't that be a bummer? For one person to get more than one prize would just be unfair.

DrBored

Post by DrBored » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:43 pm

A Luna wrote:
Crimeater12 wrote:i think that when there is another painting contest, there should be the same categories, but there should also be like a beginner, intermediate, and expert, depending on the paintjob of the miniature
Will result in things as people entering miniatures that just not are done on expert level but good enough to win in intermediate. such things or people will enter in the wrong skill class.
plus there have to be alot more prices since (no offense) I find a #2 in expert deserves a price more than a #1 in beginner.
I could see a competition like that. It'd require a lot more work on the judges part, as they would have to determine which entries go into which level of skill based on certain factors that they would have to outline before hand, and then stick to consistently all the way through.

Then there would be tiered prizes. For example:
Expert:
1st - 75
2nd - 60
3rd - 45
Intermediate:
1st - 40
2nd - 30
3rd - 20
Beginner:
1st - 15
2nd - 10
3rd - 5

That way there's motivation to try and get the highest prize possible instead of settling for a lower prize because you know you can dominate it. And instead of doing six categories, MWG could save a bit by only having 3, and narrowing the focus. For example: Sci-Fi Infantry, Fantasy Infantry, and Diorama. They would judge based on the size of base that the model is based on, like a maximum of a 35 mm base.

Nagash
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Nagash » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:34 am

DrBored wrote:Wouldn't that be a bummer? For one person to get more than one prize would just be unfair.
At least one person will get more than one prize (specifically upgraded prize), since they'll choose the winner of the Platinum Brush from one of the first place winners.

Darkgod
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Darkgod » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:33 am

according to the rules the winner who wins the platinum brush forfits his catagory prize of $50 to $100 so he doesnt get both

unless he/she wins another catergory aswell :shock:

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:58 am

Don't worry, we'll make sure it is fair.

Matthew

Torskmeister
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Torskmeister » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:59 pm

will there be a new thread posting the winners or something? where would it be? and how's the judgement going??? :shock: :mrgreen:
*hiss*

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:49 pm

Torskmeister wrote:will there be a new thread posting the winners or something? where would it be? and how's the judgement going??? :shock: :mrgreen:
oh my gosh why the panic? :shock:

:mrgreen: you'll know..
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Torskmeister
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Torskmeister » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:54 pm

yeah yeah I get it but it's not easy for a fanatic you know :wink:

hehe I want a big banner that takes up the whole screen telling me exactly what's going on :twisted:

well thanks anyway gotto sleep now, got an apoc tomorrow..
*hiss*