GB 74: Snowy Plateaus Complete

An Archive of previous Group Builds
Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

GB 74: Snowy Plateaus Complete

Post by Nappen » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:42 am

I am playing a game against my son and his winter themed tau. So, we put out a winter playmat, some winter trees and some buildings.

I look and think...I need some hills. So I decided to join the build and make some corner plateaus, but want to make them modular so they can be a hill if I need them to be. Eventually, I will build some hills and stuff to go with it. I went with plateaus so that I could have more playable space and some vertical variation. Anyway, went out to the garage and found some scrap foam and cut squares. Very cold out, so could only do a bit at a time before my hands got to cold, but fits the theme...

Then cut and dry fit them

Glued them up before bed and left them to dry.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: GB 74: Snowy Plateaus

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:46 am

That looks very nice! You created some really good looking slopes on these hills, very neat! I believe your sons tau will look great on this board!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:48 am

A little progress, but not sure I will make the deadline, I will be out of town the next week, so will only have a day or two to finish up...

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:52 pm

I put it together with PVC glue, then use the same glue spread thin for the sand.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:42 am

RandomTsar wrote:You have actually inspired me to try my hand at some plateaus as well. I was lucky enough to have been gifted a couple sheets of 1 1/8" thick foam and a hot-wire cutter.
Just a little bit of advice: Be careful while handling foam with a hot-wire cutter. The fumes which will occur are toxic and you are best advised to work in a well ventilated area and to wear a protection mask.
Painted in 2018:

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:17 am

I use mine outside.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:16 am

Nappen wrote:I use mine outside.
That does sound well ventilated indeed! :D
Painted in 2018:

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:52 pm

Looking good Nappen - you've got a genius for doing simple stuff and making it look fantastic!

I'm not sure I'm going ot make the deadline either, but in any case gonna try.

can't wait to see more :D I think I'd like to use some of your ideas for my Frostgrave terrain.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:20 pm

Hoping to finish up tonight and get a photo tomorrow :wink:

Nappen

Re: GB 74: Snowy Plateaus Complete

Post by Nappen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:19 pm

Just finished :)

All together as a hill

Two different configurations to play on the sides of the board.

ImageImage

And then individually they can be corners.

ImageImageImageImage

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: GB 74: Snowy Plateaus Complete

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:12 pm

Very nice! I like the tinge of blue :D
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Return to “Past Group Builds”