It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:51 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

I was watching Beasts of War the other day. They were going on and on about how Abaddon has such crazy stats he could challenge just about any character and totally stomp them.
I just got an Abaddon off ebay and was originaly going to convert him to Typhus because i like nurgle. I'm entertaining the thought of fielding him as is. The 275 pt cost seem a bit steep though.
What do you guys think? I trust your oppinions more then BOW.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:21 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

275 is very, very steep. Although it demolishes stuff in close combat, he is way to many points.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:31 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Yes he is worth a lot of points but he can easily get them back (depending on who and what you are versing). In short Abaddon's cruch is beast.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:09 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

As said before it depends against who you play, If they got big fat HQ's I'l say go for it otherwise maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:30 am 

painterofpaint wrote:
As said before it depends against who you play, If they got big fat HQ's I'l say go for it otherwise maybe.

Painterofpaint raises a good point here. If you a army with very expensive HQ's pick Abaddon due to the fact he can have a really good shot at them. If the enemy has captains galaor or really cheap HQ's Abaddon will not be worth the points challaging them. However you could still use Abaddon to mow down units to regain his points value but I would not be challaging sergeants or cheap HQ's with him. However in he new codex it is rumoured that all challanges must be accepted by CSM characters. This is very bad because if a SM sergeant challenges Abaddon it uses up Abaddon from using his wrath on the Cheapo sergeant than the entire squad.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:38 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges
Magnus01 wrote:
painterofpaint wrote:

Painterofpaint raises a good point here. If you a army with very expensive HQ's pick Abaddon due to the fact he can have a really good shot at them. If the enemy has captains galaor or really cheap HQ's Abaddon will not be worth the points challaging them. However you could still use Abaddon to mow down units to regain his points value but I would not be challaging sergeants or cheap HQ's with him. However in he new codex it is rumoured that all challanges must be accepted by CSM characters. This is very bad because if a SM sergeant challenges Abaddon it uses up Abaddon from using his wrath on the Cheapo sergeant than the entire squad.

Yet overkill counts towards combat resolution so he could still cause the enemy squad to lose and if they charged they could run like pansy loyalists. Also you may allow your champion to accept the challenge and Abbaddon could still boss the unit.

6th Edition tally
Orks: Win 11 Loss 1 Draw 0

Chaos Space Marines: Win 13 Loss 4 Draw 0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:50 am 

SpartanMyth wrote:
Magnus01 wrote:
painterofpaint wrote:

Yet overkill counts towards combat resolution so he could still cause the enemy squad to lose and if they charged they could run like pansy loyalists. Also you may allow your champion to accept the challenge and Abbaddon could still boss the unit.

True but a whole turn is waisted if he accepts the challenge (and in the new codex he has to).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:55 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges
You don't know that yet, that is still a rumour. Yet you only lose the champions attacks not abbaddon's beastly high number which can kill a unit by himself.

6th Edition tally

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:06 am 

Sorry I worded it wrong but I was meant to say it was a rumor and if it came true I wold do that. Also what do you mean you don't lose Abaddon's high number of attacks if he accepts the challenge? Doesn't his attacks all have to be allocated to the champions for that turn or when the challenge is over?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:16 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

the latest rumour I read online was that abbadon was going to remain the same stats & points but will be able to reroll failed - hits , wounds and saves (not certain if that mean invulnerable as well)

the only character I could see besting abbadon is lukas the trickster and that is only because of the last laugh rule.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:19 am 

I don;t see phil kelly giving abbaddon that as re-roll saves 2/4+? he will be almost unwoundable in 6th

6th Edition tally

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:47 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
SpartanMyth wrote:
I don;t see phil kelly giving abbaddon that as re-roll saves 2/4+? he will be almost unwoundable in 6th

At 275 points he'd better be, considering he's only good once he's stuck in.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:31 pm 

Magnus01 wrote:
Sorry I worded it wrong but I was meant to say it was a rumor and if it came true I wold do that. Also what do you mean you don't lose Abaddon's high number of attacks if he accepts the challenge? Doesn't his attacks all have to be allocated to the champions for that turn or when the challenge is over?

If you get challenged by say a vanilla Sarg then you accept and cause say 6 wounds with abbaddons attacks ,you get 6 wounds to you on combat resolution which means you can over kill the challenger and you can cause the unit to run off. On the other hand you champion takes the challenge and Abbaddon slaps the unit.

Quote:
At 275 points he'd better be, considering he's only good once he's stuck in

I know that he is only good in cc but a 2/4+ re roll will be way over powered and people will refuse to play against him if they don't know what to do. If his 4+ is re rolls then that's not as bad.

6th Edition tally

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:40 pm 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Fateweaver is 333 points, is a flying monstrous creature, can use three powers a turn, all at different targets, and has a rerollable 3+ invulnerable save and grants rerolls to any saves to units near him. I don't think its unfair for Abaddon to have rerollable saves.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:25 pm 

But then he has only a 3+, most of the time Abbaddon will now get his 2+, and fate weaver can be made to run away after one wound which helps to balance him out as well as him face planting the floor if he was flying that turn. With allies why bother with abbaddon getting re rolls? You can take fate weaver and get them anyway

6th Edition tally